So, what now for Versus XIII?

#1ExentrykPosted 2/21/2013 6:49:15 PM
So, with Versus XIII not being at the PS4 reveal conference, where has it left us? Where do we stand now? What do we know and can expect going forward?

Possibilities:
1. It is still a PS3 game, and thus not shown at the PS4 conference.
2. It is a PS4 game, but is not ready. (Remember Nomura wanted to show it off for PS3 in Jan 2012).
3. It is a PS4 game, is ready, but not shown due to some Sony reasons (non exclusive etc).

What to expect:
1. If it is still a PS3 game, then nothing has changed really. We were told to enjoy XIV and LR first, and I don't see why that would change now. Expect it after XIV and/or LR is out.
2. If it is not ready to be shown in Feb for the PS4, perhaps we'll see it at E3/TGS?
3. If it is ready to be shown in Feb, but Sony said "No", then there is no reason why it won't be there at E3.

So, what about the FF to be shown at E3? Is that Versus?
Shinji Hashimoto said, "We are preparing for development of a Final Fantasy title." Last year, Yoshihisa Hashimoto said that there were no games currently in development for Luminous but that they would have to start making preparations soon. Looks like they have finally reached the preparation stage. If that is the case, then I canít see it being Final Fantasy Versus XIII as that game has been in development for a while now. All the preparation for this game happened years ago. If I had to guess, Shinji Hashimoto is most likely talking about a brand new Final Fantasy title ground up on Luminous and we wonít see it for a while, but may in fact get concept footage of the game at E3. Release would be more like mid 2015, if not later.

Personally, I now feel Versus needs to be a cross-generation title if SE want some return on their cost. Releasing it just for the PS3 may not be enough. Going PS4 exclusive is also not advisable, if they plan to release it around the PS4 launch window (early 2014). I don't know how feasible it is to port on the PS4, and it might still be on the PS3, but the extended delays are hinting otherwise.

What are your thoughts on this? If I've overlooked something, please mention it.
---
Veni, Vidi, Dormivi.
#2Rose_of_MayPosted 2/21/2013 7:00:20 PM
SE is notorious for announcing games too soon so if they show a tech demo for FFXV at E3, it likely won't be out before 2015. Especially if Versus is still on track for a PS3 release and debuts next year.

Honestly though, I don't know what to expect anymore. I still wanna know whose idea it was to fly Shinji all the way to NYC just to tease everyone. He could have tweeted what he said instead.
#3Exentryk(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 7:07:29 PM
I also can't believe no media person asked him about Versus XIII.
---
Veni, Vidi, Dormivi.
#4PillsberyDoeManPosted 2/21/2013 7:14:04 PM
wait, what? yea, there was. gimme a sec. tryna find it.
---
impatiently waiting on versus xiii...
EDIT: not so much anymore... (4/28/11)
#5PillsberyDoeManPosted 2/21/2013 7:23:18 PM
dude...........

i think my brain is starting to scramble. i could've sworn i saw something about versus 13 earlier on today. and now i can't even remember what it is that i read. all i know is that it was about versus.

**** man. this is really picking at my brain. i might be going crazy here.
---
#6Rose_of_MayPosted 2/21/2013 7:25:23 PM
PillsberyDoeMan posted...
dude...........

i think my brain is starting to scramble. i could've sworn i saw something about versus 13 earlier on today. and now i can't even remember what it is that i read. all i know is that it was about versus.

**** man. this is really picking at my brain. i might be going crazy here.

It was probably this: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-versus-xiii/65516023
#7PillsberyDoeManPosted 2/21/2013 7:53:40 PM
phew, thought i was going crazy for a second there.
---