Square Enix just doesn't care about their fans

#1Darth_HavokPosted 2/22/2013 10:49:46 AM
I think they've pretty much written off the older or more "loyal" fan base in favor of the younger generation. (why we keep seeing lightning) I have no problems with the XIII games. They're not at all my favorite & I don't generally enjoy the story as much as others, but the game play can be fun to the point of addiction. Point being I'm not a hater. I didn't like 12 or 9 much either, but to each their own.

Anyways, what I'm saying is that if a terrible company (IMO) like CrAPCOM can make SF4, MVC3 and possibly even a new Darkstalkers happen, SQE has no real excuse. Point is they don't care. Capcom Unity seems to get taken far more seriously than anything SQE might look at.

For this reason, I don't expect us to ever see FF7 remake that was asked for since the PS3 tech Demo, FFXIII-Versus, or even Type-O (in our region), Final Fantasy X HD, etc.

If SQE as a business, sees significant profit, that will be their motivating factor. Not what their fans want. And IF at any point they DO cater to their fans - it's usually a Japanese exclusive. I'd like to see the KH HD revamp, FFXHD w/ international content, DOC online (PS2 digital even maybe) and obviously titles like FF13 Versus & KH3 & FF7 remake above all else.

I just feel like it's cheaper for SQE to write off the older fans as opposed to catering to them, so they keep churning out the newer titles to build a new fan base because over all it's more profitable. I can understand it all, but it sure irks me a lot. lololol. I mean, games like FF7 (while admitted was over-hyped in some circles) isn't as interesting to many younger games due to old console/technology/bad graphics compared to current gen, etc. but with a remake, the potential is there to capture the hearts of new fans as they once did when FF7 was new and even more, to spark an interest in the series and generate more revenue that way, however, they'd rather try to revamp their current sinking ship FF14 and repair the flop - even when they have to pull resources which delay far more anticipated titles (like versus as an example) - why? Because online MMOs (with a Monthly subscription) generate a higher and longer lasting revenue.

What's my point? TL;DR SQE doesn't care about you and has no loyalty to you. They'll take your money, but won't to a damn thing to please their fans (at least outside of Japan) if there's a cheaper option.

/rant
---
The Official Maverick Hunter Zero of the MvC3 board!
PSN: Darth-Griever
#2Ecclesiastes273Posted 2/22/2013 12:36:35 PM(edited)
S-E hasn't gotten my money since 2006 or so, with a single exception in Duodecim: Dissidia, which I enjoyed for what it was. I bought FFXIII used for $18, and while I did enjoy THAT for what it was, thank god I didn't drop $60 for it. My taste in games had shifted tremendously over the years, and S-E no longer fills that niche, nor do they fill the niche they used to. That's fine by me. They gave me FF1, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and later 2, 3, 5, and 12, and I enjoyed all of them. All worthy purchases, even 8. Story's on crack, but it was entertaining crack. Next game they make that catches my due interest, and I'll be set to enjoy that.

Basically, brand loyalty is a foolish notion that will always end in disappointment or delusion, and I'm not going to let my extreme indifference towards S-E's catalog through the last several years keep me from buying a game I do find interesting.

And you know what? For all the "crap" S-E puts out, they're generally very good at development itself. Even their cash cow milking sequels are genuine creative ventures. FFX-2? Crisis Core? Advent Children? Like them or hate them(X-2 is underrated in the most classical sense, in that it's not even rated on its own merits, CC is good, and AC is everything the haters say FFVII is), they're hardly lacking in creativity. That's a lot better than I can say about some other rather popular franchises. To say S-E is crap is to slight everyone working under the hood of those games, and said games exhibit far too much consistent production quality to spread the blame of upper management on to them.
---
Seven. Point. Five.
#3SSj7CloudSPosted 2/22/2013 1:13:16 PM
What's my point? TL;DR SQE doesn't care about you and has no loyalty to you.

I hope you're just not now realizing this but either way, welcome aboard!

If it didn't clue someone in they don't care about you when, as one of their most recent indicators should show, at least someone higher up in their company legitimately believes that XIII-2 only sold half as many copies as XIII did because they think people needed to play the first game to get what goes on in the sequel. I don't even know where to start...but yes, welcome aboard! I know someone's going to ask for the link, so here:

http://operationrainfall.com/opinion-final-fantasy-xiii-producer-explains-declining-sales/

The reason for the drop may have been due to the fact that not many players knew you didn’t have to have played Final Fantasy XIII to understand the plot in its sequel. We’re hoping that we can get that message across for Lightning Returns, because the same is true here.”

---
Playing: Wild Arms 5, Grandia II, The Last Story
PSN: jext77
#4Darth_Havok(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 1:26:58 PM
I've known it for a while, but I'm posting this for those fans who are butthurt due to being shafted (bad pun very much intended) by SQE. Loyalty amounts to nothing for some companies. My point was that at least Capcom (with the exception of Megaman) seems to cater to their fans in some ways - even if they do rape your wallet via DLC later. lol. Surprise SQE isn't on that bandwagon as much as they could have been. *shrugs*

Crisis Core will also never be going digital. Nor will KH:BBS. So my 2 favorite PSP games can't even be played on my VITA. Not sure if I can blame SQE for this one, but if it IS their fault <rage> FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU </rage>
---
#5westontickleePosted 2/22/2013 1:49:19 PM
http://oi54.tinypic.com/6dyi6s.jpg
---
I come from the future
Claire "Lightning" Farron's best friend, maried to Ayesha Altugle, ex lover of Milla Maxwell
#6Darth_Havok(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 2:55:04 PM
^^ as always, what you'd expect from GameFaqs. :) Glad to see some things never change
---
#7Lelouch71Posted 2/22/2013 3:46:51 PM
Fact is us "older" games are doing exactly that getting older. We are starting our careers, getting married, and/or having kids of our own. We are no longer the target audience. Not just for SE but for many jrpg developers. You have to be delusional to think they will keep catering to us as we get older. What we may consider to be cool is different from your average 14 years old of today. Quite honestly every time I see someone mention FF7 remake I feel like punching someone in the face. I'm getting tired of hearing about it. I'm tired of fanboy overrating it. But I digress.

And you are right brand loyalty is worthless. I could had told you that even as a teenager. Many companies don't care about you. They just want your money. That the sole reason for anyone to get into business. To make money. Only niche developers care enough about their main customers. Even they are driven by making money. Being loyal is for fools. But SE do care at least a tad bit. Personally I think they care way too much. They make their games trying to cater to certain fans.

Online gaming is what's popular especially now with social media being the "cool" thing as of now. FFXI is most lucrative game they have ever release in recent years. It's make sense for SE to want to replicate that success plus they do owe those who bought FFXIV. Btw there is a KH HD. And it's already confirm to being localize. FFX HD is currently in development and I would assume it would be with the international version content. I doubt the Japanese would want the vanilla version.
---
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"
#8ZXR_ReignSlayerPosted 2/22/2013 6:25:54 PM
George Bush doesn't care about black people.
---
Everyone thinks they are special and the exception to the rule...everyone...and they are all wrong -RonD70