So I just rewatched the January 2011 trailer for the first time in months...

#1theofficefan99Posted 3/3/2013 3:45:07 PM
Honestly, even in this form, if they just tidied up the UI/menus and the visuals a little bit, the game would be absolutely amazing.

The music is damn amazing and powerful. We all know this already.

The visuals are already damn good, and if the lighting is improved and the faces look less sweaty and plastic in the end, it'll look incredible. The city already looks convincing and full of life. There were moments where I was thinking "wow, I'd love to explore every nook and cranny of this place," and the places felt so alive with all the interactivity going on. Hell, even during the combat segments, things like chairs were flying around as Noctis and co. were touching them. The part where Noctis is running away from missiles would be a lot cooler if bits of the bridge were actually destroyed as the missiles hit them.

The gameplay seems like there's a ton of potential. The actual combat looks pretty good, actually. I just want it to be a bit more polished up and flashy. It's quite clear that it's unfinished in this trailer, considering that around half the time when Noctis and co. attack an enemy, hit points don't pop up. If the speed in the final product ends up being 1.5x what it is now, and the attacks overall end up being a bit flashier, it'll be golden. We already know there'll be Eidolons, so I can't wait to see how those will play out. Hopefully, they'll fight alongside you in battle. I also love how each party member plays differently. I'd love to play as Prompto from time to time.

Has there been any word on the game's stat progression system a la the Crystarium and Sphere Grid?

In terms of exploration, as I said, the world feels truly alive. I love this. The fact that we're going to get cars and airships makes me even more excited. We already saw Noctis taking over tanks and giant robot mechanisms in the trailer, as well. I think Versus XIII will be a lot of fun because the whole game is so interactive.

Personally, I don't care for the day and night system that they apparently have in place. We didn't actually see that in the trailer, and I'm guessing they took it out of the game. Or maybe they didn't, who knows. The spell that Noctis cast with the bats flying around and making the sky dark was quite awesome, though.

The story seems really interesting, as well. I personally love the mythology of Fabula Nova Crystallis, and I'd love to see Versus XIII's interpretation of it. It'll be interesting, for sure. The last scene between Noctis and Ignis nearly gave me chills, and I think King Caelum will play an interesting role in the story.

Lastly, the CGI still looks absolutely breathtaking to this day. They have probably improved upon it even more by now, and I can't wait to see how much more stunning it has become.

tl;dr, even in this form, the game seems absolutely amazing. I'm sincerely hoping that Square Enix ends up having a big Final Fantasy showing at E3 and shows Lightning Returns, A Realm Reborn (by E3, the game will probably already be out or it'll be launch time, so it's practically out of the way at this point), the new PS4 FF (and it'll only be a teaser CGI trailer, I'm sure), along with Final Fantasy Versus XIII, but I doubt it. I dunno. I'm just hoping.

Any of you guys still get excited after watching the January 2011 trailer?
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#2Panda_KunPosted 3/3/2013 3:52:44 PM
>Second to last sentence question.

Oh, officeboy. Keep dreaming big.

But yes, it's stunning. More so than I can say for most JRPGs this gen, eh???
---
"To be a man, you must have honor and a p****!"
#3xNoctis171Posted 3/3/2013 4:10:38 PM
I definately excites me still, but it also makes me wonder what on earth the team has been doing for so long.
---
The Official Noctis of the Final Fantasy Versus XIII Boards
#4theofficefan99(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2013 6:32:37 PM
xNoctis171 posted...
I definately excites me still, but it also makes me wonder what on earth the team has been doing for so long.

Seriously... >.>
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#5SoulMikeYPosted 3/3/2013 7:16:55 PM
I have to quit watching. Everytime I see that trailer, I vigorously scour the internet for some phantom information that is going to pop up, brag to all my gamer friends and make sure they have seen the trailer so we can talk about it for an hour, and then waste half an hour on gamefaqs to see if anyone knows anything.

My life is mildly pathetic when I watch that trailer. But anyways, this game is clearly in a class of it's own if they aren't showing it with those other p.o.s.'s because I'm pretty sure it's either done or close to done. And if it IS done already, then they aren't showing it because they wouldn't want it to make Lightning look like a bigger p.o.s. than she already is.
#6theofficefan99(Topic Creator)Posted 3/3/2013 9:23:54 PM
I shouldn't have done this.

The wait is killing me now.
---
#7zUkUuPosted 3/3/2013 9:44:51 PM
I fall into that trap too often as well =/.
#8ExentrykPosted 3/3/2013 9:47:58 PM
I have tempered my expectations. It may not be that good, even though I have a tough time believing it myself. :'|
---
Veni, Vidi, Dormivi.
#9heartlesshero17Posted 3/3/2013 11:11:27 PM
I didn't care all too much about the trailer honestly. Though I am sure the final product will of course be better, I don't go back to watching the older trailer cause I was never wowed by it in the first place. So me not liking it much combined with the fact that I am positive the next time will be better, I have no need to ever look at it again unless somebody points out an interesting aspect I never noticed before.

With that said, if it were to release with that build, I don't think it would be badly receive.
---
I'll eat a sock if VersusXIII is actually a mind blowing game.
-PainsPerception
#10PillsberyDoeManPosted 3/4/2013 11:48:20 AM
i'm not sure if i can randomly hype myself up over this game anymore. i need some sort of tease, like the perfume gig. a good way to quell the waiting though, is to occupy yourself with other games. boring answer, but it works. there are so many great games to play while we wait.
---
impatiently waiting on versus xiii...
EDIT: not so much anymore... (4/28/11)