If the rumor is true and this is no longer an Action RPG..

#31i8g4wlPosted 3/12/2013 10:23:31 AM
supereerik posted...
I'd be thrilled if that were the case. Might actually get a good game after the long wait.
Hated KH. "Mindless" is a good way to describe the battle system. And no, there is no depth to just running around on the edges of the "arena" to avoid damage/focus whilst you spam heal on yourself.

Yeah I know what you mean although it was pretty good when it came out, but today it's a bit too messy for me.

One of the real problem I have with ARPG is I don't feel like I control a team.
We usually have 3-4 characters but as it's quite impossible to control all of them at the same time while fighting we just focus on one. The others are either useless (Rogue Galaxy) or too powerful (Mass Effect 2).

Doesn't mean SE will screw-up if they keep going with the action style but I won't be unhappy if they go another way. And as competent as they are lately they could screw-up both ways anyway so...
#32supereerikPosted 3/12/2013 11:21:08 AM
i8g4wl posted...
supereerik posted...
I'd be thrilled if that were the case. Might actually get a good game after the long wait.
Hated KH. "Mindless" is a good way to describe the battle system. And no, there is no depth to just running around on the edges of the "arena" to avoid damage/focus whilst you spam heal on yourself.

Yeah I know what you mean although it was pretty good when it came out, but today it's a bit too messy for me.

We usually have 3-4 characters but as it's quite impossible to control all of them at the same time while fighting we just focus on one. The others are either useless (Rogue Galaxy) or too powerful (Mass Effect 2).

Doesn't mean SE will screw-up if they keep going with the action style but I won't be unhappy if they go another way. And as competent as they are lately they could screw-up both ways anyway so...

Yea, agree with all of your points, tbh. I didn't mind my allies in ME2 but I don't think the battle system was the strongest point in the game. In fact, I think it was the weakest - tolerable, sometimes fun.
I don't like relying on AI or gambits. I've had a problem with KH, FFXII (at least it was possible AND somewhat useful to control your team mates there), FFXIII (to an extent - the concept works but the spell effects were always underwhelming imo) and even Ni No Kuni.
Persona style battle system = my cup of tea.
---
My ridiculously brave ranking order of Final Fantasy games:
FFX=FFVII>FFXIII-2=FFVIII>FFIX=FFX-2=FFXIII>>>>FFXII
#33ExtremeLightPosted 3/12/2013 2:09:03 PM
supereerik posted...

Mindless? KH battle system?? It it was mindless you would get through every fights without dying. No, there is strategy involved. You might also need to learn trick and combos. When to guard or dodge. Which elements is appropriate. Which summons should I use. Do I go in and attack as much as I can and back out and heal or do I play defensive with small attacks.

Also on healing: most healing take place relatively close to the enemies in KH. No need to "run away" to heal. Also healing spell were strong and your allies could also heal you.
---
Lightning Returns will surpass 13-2 and become accepted by haters!
Official Noctis Lucis Caelum of the XV board.
#34largerockPosted 3/13/2013 4:21:46 AM
Pssssh...Point-and-Click or bust,
---
Not changing this sig until Final Fantasy Versus XIII comes out.
Official Atlas of the god of war ascension board.
#35BIG_C_4_LIFE(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2013 9:26:57 PM
After replaying Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance, if Versus doesn't have KH gameplay then ****ing dropped.

Thank God the rumor is bull **** though
---
(Currently thinking of a clever and original signature...... this could take a ****ing while)
#36omeganova13Posted 3/14/2013 10:40:02 AM
i8g4wl posted...
supereerik posted...

this is why i don't like ARPGs that much either (or i should say, i used to hate most of them with the following example being an exception, with time ive grown to accept them), i have a whole group of neat characters to chose from, why am i only controlling 1 of them? honestly my favorite ARPG of all time is Secret of Mana which actually addressed the problem WAY back on the SNES which quite frankly leaves me baffled as to why modern ARPGs don't do it. you ready for this?

*braces for hate*

allow a friend to control them. and no i don't mean add multiplayer and no i don't mean co-op like borderlands (love borderlands but would hate FF to go that route) what i mean is a standard ARPG setup with all characters not being controlled by player as AI. however if a friend is over, let me hand them a second controller so that they can join my rampage. IDK, maybe im the only one lol
#37i8g4wlPosted 3/15/2013 1:26:48 AM
omeganova13 posted...

this is why i don't like ARPGs that much either (or i should say, i used to hate most of them with the following example being an exception, with time ive grown to accept them), i have a whole group of neat characters to chose from, why am i only controlling 1 of them? honestly my favorite ARPG of all time is Secret of Mana which actually addressed the problem WAY back on the SNES which quite frankly leaves me baffled as to why modern ARPGs don't do it. you ready for this?

*braces for hate*

allow a friend to control them. and no i don't mean add multiplayer and no i don't mean co-op like borderlands (love borderlands but would hate FF to go that route) what i mean is a standard ARPG setup with all characters not being controlled by player as AI. however if a friend is over, let me hand them a second controller so that they can join my rampage. IDK, maybe im the only one lol

No you are not the only one.
Although I disliked the story (as it was unoriginal and too predictable) I enjoyed that in Tales of Symphonia a lot.
It was really fun to play the part of the friend coming over and helping during combat.

But it doesn't solve the problem when you play alone.
Shall we mix Turn-based and ARPG then? Letting the player decide which system he/she favors whenever he/she wants?
That would be cool!