Be honest: when's the last time you enjoyed a JRPG story?

#1fanofff6Posted 3/10/2013 11:24:55 PM
Has anyone else not liked any JRPG stories this gen? I really liked Persona 3 & 4 but technically they were released on the PS2. I don't know if it's an age thing or if the writing has gotten worse (I'm sure nostalgia glasses are a factor) but I've found every JRPG for the PS3 cheesy and painful to sit through. It's still my favorite genre, but I wish they would hire better writers.
#2ExentrykPosted 3/11/2013 12:03:00 AM
Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii).

Now my 2nd favourite RPG of all time.
---
Veni, Vidi, Dormivi.
#3EscaSyraPosted 3/11/2013 12:07:57 AM
XIII. While it did have low points, I still enjoyed it for it's high points.
---
The official Agrias Oaks of the FFXV board.
#4DoctorCrabMDPosted 3/11/2013 12:32:13 AM
EscaSyra posted...
XIII. While it did have low points, I still enjoyed it for it's high points.

Same. FF XIII has some really great parts. I can see why people don't like the story or even the game itself but the intense, almost crazed hatred towards the game makes people look like drama queens.
#5legendfirefoxPosted 3/11/2013 1:57:00 AM
Ni no kuni, the ending isn't that great but the game itself is great.
---
PSN - Legend-fox-86
#6nfobiaPosted 3/11/2013 3:02:10 AM
NIER. Those who have played all the endings knows this. Its really hard to say if its the best game story of all time, but most depressive and heart-wrenching for sure. Cult classic already.

Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower, Resonance of Fate, Radiant Historia... theres plenty i have enjoyed. Ni No Kuni apparently has high quality story too as expected, haven't played it yet.

Though there is lots of b-grade anime garbage too, cant deny that. But if you cant enjoy any of the stories from games mentioned so far, maybe this genre is not for you.
#7HarryMerryLarryPosted 3/11/2013 3:20:41 AM
I second Ni No Kuni.
---
It's Tuesday! Did you bring a coat!?!
PSN: HarryMerryLarry XBL: Eron BAMF
#8DraumPosted 3/11/2013 5:16:52 AM
I thought Xenoblades simple story was kinda cool. Sort of a Xeno lite, a great game to start on if you want to further explore the Xeno universe.

Best one for me is probably Nier. New game+ in that game is just horrible. It's like the developers hate you and feel the need to make you suffer. Man I love that game. Hope Drakengard gets a HD collection some day.
---
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident".
#9poolsharky27Posted 3/11/2013 5:42:43 AM
Hnnnng Nier.

It just makes you feel so terrible and dead inside. It's amazing.
Plus there's a hermaphrodite(Kaine).
#10Kumori_no_YoruPosted 3/11/2013 5:46:57 AM
Probably BDFF, but I played that just about two months ago.

I see so much love for Nier, makes me wish I didn't pass up on it. Perhaps I should look into picking it up sometime soon...
---
PSN: Neophoton | NA 3DS: 2277-6964-8962 | JP 3DS: 2509-0978-4639
Currently playing: Kid Icarus: Uprising, Sly 4, Fire Emblem: Awakening