Final fantasy noob

#31jman250Posted 3/14/2013 10:32:58 PM
- I like FF7 and FF 12.

- I refuse to give FF13 the time of day as i'll be damned if i play a game with a girl as the main character.
#32EventualDeclinePosted 3/14/2013 10:47:31 PM
jman250 posted...
I refuse to give FF13 the time of day as i'll be damned if i play a game with a girl as the main character.

I hope you're just trolling here. FF13 does suck but that's the dumbest reason I've ever seen for not playing it. The stupidity never quits with Gamefaqs.
---
"High speed progress, step by step, into a trap....."
#33jman250Posted 3/14/2013 10:54:33 PM
EventualDecline posted...
jman250 posted...
I refuse to give FF13 the time of day as i'll be damned if i play a game with a girl as the main character.

I hope you're just trolling here. FF13 does suck but that's the dumbest reason I've ever seen for not playing it. The stupidity never quits with Gamefaqs.

- That being dumb sounds like an opinion sir.

- Moreover, i am in no way obligated to care about your opinion or listen to you question my reasoning.
#34EventualDeclinePosted 3/15/2013 2:03:02 AM
So what about the new Tomb Raider? It's not exactly the greatest game of all time, but it's pretty good, and are you saying that you'd never so much as try the game because the main character is a girl? That would be pretty dumb, but that's apparently your method of choosing what games to play.
---
"High speed progress, step by step, into a trap....."
#35Graham_ChapmanPosted 3/15/2013 3:53:14 AM
Panda_Kun posted...
Sales =/= Quality *SMH

And after all this time, I been relating it to blind fanboy nostalgia. Oh wait.

This is called a straw man argument. No one said anything about quality in relation to sales. Only you. I was simply talking about the game's popularity.

However, by your logic, the entire FF series is crap because most of the games in the series have sold in the millions. It's true that FF7 is the best selling in the series by far (at over 10 million copies sold), but most if not all of the other main series games with most likely the exception of FF14, have sold millions of copies. I guess that means none of the games are quality, right? Your poor attempt at reasoning has failed. Now go away.

If took FFVII three weeks to reach 500.000 sales, it had sold 9.8 million units by the end of 2005 and didn't reach 10 million copies sold until 5 years later. FFXIII sold one million units on its first sale day in Japan alone and has sold 6.2 million units (and it + XIII-2 has sold a collective of 9.6 million copies). By your logic, the FFXIII series is, at large, a very "popular" game in the FF series and I don't believe I need to point out how untrue that assessment is, do I?

jman250 posted...

- That being dumb sounds like an opinion sir.

- Moreover, i am in no way obligated to care about your opinion or listen to you question my reasoning.

Let me see if I got this right: You refuse to play FFVI because its two primary main characters are girls?

The fact that it's an opinion doesn't necessarily make it untrue, though. Because, let's face it, your reasoning is either "dumb" or "misogynic". Unless you have a better (and with that I mean a DAMN good) rationalization for your position, it being "dumb" is actually a favorable option concerning the nature of your perspective... Seriously, of all the reasons you could possibly have for not playing FFXIII... *smh* Jman, I am disappoint.
---
I'M IN DESPAIR!!! THE SEVEN YEARS FINAL FANTASY VERSUS XIII HAS BEEN IN DEVELOPMENT HAVE LEFT ME IN DESPAIR!!!
#36zUkUuPosted 3/15/2013 4:59:51 AM(edited)
I'd play them in "order", since it's hard to see the beauty of FF9 and then the blockheads of 7.

4 (DS), 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13

If you don't have a DS, I'd skip 4 for now.
13 just to see how crap the series has become.

And whoever thinks FF7 is NOT the most popular lives in a dream world.
Now when it comes to "which is the best?" It's most of the time a race to 1st between 7 and 6, won by 7, in various user votes.
#37Panda_KunPosted 3/15/2013 6:43:27 AM
Panda_Kun posted...
Sales =/= Quality *SMH

And after all this time, I been relating it to blind fanboy nostalgia. Oh wait.

This is called a straw man argument. No one said anything about quality in relation to sales. Only you. I was simply talking about the game's popularity.

However, by your logic, the entire FF series is crap because most of the games in the series have sold in the millions. It's true that FF7 is the best selling in the series by far (at over 10 million copies sold), but most if not all of the other main series games with most likely the exception of FF14, have sold millions of copies. I guess that means none of the games are quality, right? Your poor attempt at reasoning has failed. Now go away.

I don't think you know what popularity means in relation to games. And also just lol at Cloud probably being the most popular character. Obvious VII fanboy is obvious.
---
"Lara Croft, You're My Hero!"
#38XenoDudePosted 3/15/2013 11:53:00 AM(edited)
Is this board full of younger gamers? How is anyone arguing with the fact that FFVII is the most popular in the series, unless they were not a gamer around the time it came out?

As for XIII selling an equivalent amount of copies, let's put that into perspective. It's the first multi-platform Final Fantasy and was one of very few RPGs for its console generation, so that helps skew it up. Meanwhile, VII outshined stiff competition and sold millions on only a single console.

Also, if we're going to combine XIII sales and XIII-2 sales (and I suppose LR sales eventually) to add credit to XIII's popularity, then we may as well add up Advent Children, Crisis Core, Before Crisis, and DoC sales to FFVII's tally. XIII not looking as equal anymore (popularity-wise). Again, all of this supports FFVII's popularity. Arguing for popularity is not arguing for quality--so not sure how those wires got crossed.

But, I do think VII is one of the best (along with VI and X). Even the creators think VII represents the pinnacle of the series. From IGN (http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/26/square-enix-reveals-conditions-for-final-fantasy-vii-remake):

"In a candid statement, Wada clarified that he feels the current slew of titles in the franchise have not surpassed their popular predecessor in terms of quality. He stressed that while they hopefully would manage this in future, if the team were to remake Final Fantasy VII before this was achieved, then the Final Fantasy franchise 'would be done with.'"

So... that's pretty definitive for what Square Enix thinks about the matter.

Critically, Gamerankings and Metacritic have VII at 92%, while XIII and XIII-2 have scores ranging from 79% to 84% across the different consoles. That's a pretty significant difference.

And I know you guys are going to want to say something about review scores not being credible, but for ****'s sake, an aggregate of professional scores is way more credible than your individual opinions. No offense.

Edit:
Also, back to popularity. When searching Google for "Final Fantasy" the recommended search suggestions, in order, are "Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy 14, Final Fantasy 7, and Final Fantasy Versus XIII." So we have 2 recent/upcoming releases, and 7. No XIII. How is that not definitive proof of VII's popularity? It's Google. It's calculating billions of search results. Search results = interest = popularity. Case closed.
---
It's all a bunch of 0's and 1's... Why does it really matter?
#39XenoDudePosted 3/15/2013 12:34:22 PM
Figured my response above was very focused on VII vs XIII (not to be confused with VII vs VXIII) in reaction to an earlier post. So to compare all the FFs using metareviews (http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/final+fantasy+/results?sort=score):

1st place: FFIX = 94
2nd place (huge tie): FFVI/VII/X/XII = 92
3rd place: FFVIII = 90
4th place: FFIV = 77-89 (big range due to multiple versions)
5th place: FFX-2/FFXI = 85
6th place: FFXIII/FFT = 83
7th place: FFI/FFXIII-2 = 79
8th place: FFII/FFIII = 77-80
9th place: FFV = 66-70

(Some of this got a little weird with the version control).

I actually tend to agree with the above (again, VI, VII, and X are my favs)--especially when taking story and gameplay together as a whole. The only thing I hate is XII being so high--love the open world and gameplay, but I thought the story was god-awful and warrants dragging the score down. But that's just me.

Outside of Final Fantasy, definitely play Xenogears and Xenoblade though, as the story from Gears is untouchable and the gameplay/world from Blade is incredibly enjoyable for an RPG.
---
It's all a bunch of 0's and 1's... Why does it really matter?
#40PostDisasterPosted 3/15/2013 9:29:32 PM
zUkUu posted...
I'd play them in "order", since it's hard to see the beauty of FF9 and then the blockheads of 7.

4 (DS), 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13

If you don't have a DS, I'd skip 4 for now.
13 just to see how crap the series has become.

And whoever thinks FF7 is NOT the most popular lives in a dream world.
Now when it comes to "which is the best?" It's most of the time a race to 1st between 7 and 6, won by 7, in various user votes.

I also feel 9 is in the running for Top Spot as well. It's more of a sleeper hit. You run the question "which one is best" and 9 comes up a lot. The next "bracket" is usually 10, 12, 4 and 8. Each a matter of preference (Tidus is too whiney, 12 is too political 8's battle mechanics are too flawed) are usually the make or break points for those titles.

13 get's bashed. (Again this is all preference as I enjoyed it)

I'd say order is EVERYTHING. I struggled through 4 cause I found it boring after playing 7-13. However, if you played them in order 4 is REVOLUTIONARY (so i've heard lol)