Final fantasy noob

#41PostDisasterPosted 3/15/2013 11:31:29 PM
Crunchy_Nuts posted...
adnancool13 posted...
Reaper_ExE posted...
Wow, so many sheeple in this topic, ff7 is far from the best/greatest, and is HIGHLY overrated by rabbid fanboys who only ever played it

It's the most popular FF by far; what'd you expect?

Seriously, I think somebody's not been an FF fan for very long, or she's making it seem like it. Are upset or something that VII is seen as one of the greatest games of all time?

>Most Popular FF

Lol

But it is the most popular FF. That doesn't mean it's necessarily the best. In fact I think it's one of the worst with the most forgettable story.

Also this. And thank you. Is it the most popular and recognizable? That's a given. Is it the best? No.
#42jman250Posted 3/16/2013 1:59:45 AM
Graham_Chapman posted...
jman250 posted...
I refuse to give FF13 the time of day as i'll be damned if i play a game with a girl as the main character.

- That being dumb sounds like an opinion sir.

- Moreover, i am in no way obligated to care about your opinion or listen to you question my reasoning.

Let me see if I got this right: You refuse to play FFVI because its two primary main characters are girls?

The fact that it's an opinion doesn't necessarily make it untrue, though. Because, let's face it, your reasoning is either "dumb" or "misogynic". Unless you have a better (and with that I mean a DAMN good) rationalization for your position, it being "dumb" is actually a favorable option concerning the nature of your perspective... Seriously, of all the reasons you could possibly have for not playing FFXIII... *smh* Jman, I am disappoint.

- The fact that it's an opinion is the primary factor

- Unlike facts, opinions are NEITHER true or false.

- Therefore, no opinion is true or false.

- Moreover, "dumb" , "misogynic", and "good" are subjective terms.

- When you have something factual to say to me, i'll think about taking your opinion with a grain of salt.

-Until then , your opinion is utterly, utterly trivial to me.

- Try again kid.
#43KawakamiGensaiPosted 3/16/2013 5:55:20 AM
jman250 posted...
Graham_Chapman posted...
jman250 posted...
I refuse to give FF13 the time of day as i'll be damned if i play a game with a girl as the main character.

- Moreover, i am in no way obligated to care about your opinion or listen to you question my reasoning.

Let me see if I got this right: You refuse to play FFVI because its two primary main characters are girls?

The fact that it's an opinion doesn't necessarily make it untrue, though. Because, let's face it, your reasoning is either "dumb" or "misogynic". Unless you have a better (and with that I mean a DAMN good) rationalization for your position, it being "dumb" is actually a favorable option concerning the nature of your perspective... Seriously, of all the reasons you could possibly have for not playing FFXIII... *smh* Jman, I am disappoint.

- When you have something factual to say to me, i'll think about taking your opinion with a grain of salt.

- Try again kid.

technically, 'misogynic' or 'misogynist' isn't a subjective term in this case, although 'sexist' might be more appropriate and...in reality...you may not be much of either, but that comment certainly is.

misogyny is hatred or dislike of women, sexism is prejudice for or against a certain sex

the reason you provided for disliking FFXIII was that its main character is female, which is not only judging an entire game by one character but also discriminating against that character on the basis of sex alone....both of which are very short-sighted and ignorant attitudes

most of the modern world has begun to espouse gender equality, so if you're going to spout sexist bigotry on the internet, be prepared for some criticism.

by the way, you also used the expression 'with a grain of salt' incorrectly
#44EventualDeclinePosted 3/16/2013 10:49:20 AM
I don't even care if Jman is "sexist" or "misogynist". I think it's a waste of time to go that route, calling him sexist for not liking a game. Who cares if he's "sexist" or not? That argument is a dead end. Also, what do you guys call a woman who discriminates against men? Is anyone concerned about that? Apparently it's only "sexism" when men do it, right?

The point here, is that the problem isn't that he's "sexist", the problem is that he's dumb for not playing a game based on the main character. A true gamer doesn't give a f*** what the character of a game is, it's about the game itself and its quality. Unless the main character is Barney the Dinosaur, there's no excuse for skipping a game based on the character. That's just silly.

Also, I agree with the guy who said that this board must be stuffed with younger gamers if you guys aren't aware that FF7 is the most popular game in the series. What are you guys, 14? It's obvious to me now that a lot of modern FF fans are people who's first game in the series was probably FF10, and therefore some of you seem to think that FF10 is actually a good game that is worth taking seriously. And many of you apparently aren't aware that FF7 is way more popular, and has more iconic characters than pretty much the rest of the series.
---
"High speed progress, step by step, into a trap....."
#45jman250Posted 3/16/2013 12:46:16 PM
KawakamiGensai posted...
jman250 posted...
Graham_Chapman posted...
jman250 posted...

- Try again kid.

technically, 'misogynic' or 'misogynist' isn't a subjective term in this case, although 'sexist' might be more appropriate and...in reality...you may not be much of either, but that comment certainly is.

misogyny is hatred or dislike of women, sexism is prejudice for or against a certain sex

the reason you provided for disliking FFXIII was that its main character is female, which is not only judging an entire game by one character but also discriminating against that character on the basis of sex alone....both of which are very short-sighted and ignorant attitudes

most of the modern world has begun to espouse gender equality, so if you're going to spout sexist bigotry on the internet, be prepared for some criticism.

- Hatred is a subjective word sir. Therefore, the entire definition of "misogynic" is subjective. Moreover, "prejudice" is also a subjective term.

- I can do whatever i want regardless of what you think sir. If you don't agree, then come and make me play FF13. Oh, you can't? That's exactly what i thought.

- My comment's being "sexist" and "bigotry" are also opinions.

- Please confront me with facts, or stop wasting my time telling me your opinions as i do not care for them. The day people on the internet learn to consult me with facts is when i'll think about giving a damn about their comments.

- In the mean time, try again.
#46CokaineCowboy77Posted 3/16/2013 12:54:02 PM
^^ There's no point playing it anyway - it's terrible
---
The Official Carbuncle of the FFXV Board.
FFVII>FFVI>FFVIII>FFIX>FFX
#47KawakamiGensaiPosted 3/16/2013 12:54:28 PM
EventualDecline posted...
I don't even care if Jman is "sexist" or "misogynist". I think it's a waste of time to go that route, calling him sexist for not liking a game. Who cares if he's "sexist" or not? That argument is a dead end. Also, what do you guys call a woman who discriminates against men? Is anyone concerned about that? Apparently it's only "sexism" when men do it, right?

The point here, is that the problem isn't that he's "sexist", the problem is that he's dumb for not playing a game based on the main character. A true gamer doesn't give a f*** what the character of a game is, it's about the game itself and its quality. Unless the main character is Barney the Dinosaur, there's no excuse for skipping a game based on the character. That's just silly.

Also, I agree with the guy who said that this board must be stuffed with younger gamers if you guys aren't aware that FF7 is the most popular game in the series. What are you guys, 14? It's obvious to me now that a lot of modern FF fans are people who's first game in the series was probably FF10, and therefore some of you seem to think that FF10 is actually a good game that is worth taking seriously. And many of you apparently aren't aware that FF7 is way more popular, and has more iconic characters than pretty much the rest of the series.

I never called him sexist or misogynist, just said his comment was. If you ask me, by the way, I would certainly say that sexism against men is just as ignorant and mean-spirited. That doesn't seem to be an issue on these boards most of the time, but...o.o'

You're right, maybe I shouldn't have bothered with that reply, if the only result it was going to have was people thinking "wow, someone actually bothered replying to that..."

I will say, on the subject of popularity, FF7 does seem to get the most attention, good OR bad

as many others have said, a game's popularity isn't a measurement of how 'good' it is, or whether you will enjoy it. That's all (I think) the posters who fail to acknowledge 7 are trying to say: that maybe it -shouldn't- get the most attention or be the most popular.

As for FF10, I think it had plenty of things to its merit. I'm not a child, and FF10 wasn't my first game in the series, so...yeah...

On topic, if you want to get into the series, TC, and familiarize yourself with its recurring themes/characters, I'd start with the 2D era, something like the FF Anthology (just a compilation of FF5&FF6)

then work your way up! My favorite entries in the series are the 'Playstation generation' games, FF7, 8 and 9

if you end up playing through those, you'll have a pretty strong idea of FF's style and whether or not you like it. I hope we're witnessing the birth of a new FF fan ^___^
#48Graham_ChapmanPosted 3/16/2013 2:16:03 PM(edited)
jman250 posted...

- Try again kid.

- Hatred is a subjective word sir. Therefore, the entire definition of "misogynic" is subjective. Moreover, "prejudice" is also a subjective term.

- I can do whatever i want regardless of what you think sir. If you don't agree, then come and make me play FF13. Oh, you can't? That's exactly what i thought.

- Please confront me with facts, or stop wasting my time telling me your opinions as i do not care for them. The day people on the internet learn to consult me with facts is when i'll think about giving a damn about their comments.

I.e., you just like abusing the anonymity the internet provides to be a douchebag, gotcha, I'll ignore you in the future.
---
I'M IN DESPAIR!!! THE SEVEN YEARS FINAL FANTASY VERSUS XIII HAS BEEN IN DEVELOPMENT HAVE LEFT ME IN DESPAIR!!!
#49KawakamiGensaiPosted 3/16/2013 2:25:25 PM
jman250 posted...
KawakamiGensai posted...

okay, I'll try again.... :P

I think the first thing to point out is that you're talking about subjectivity as ambiguity, and using it differently than opinion here. Sexism is not subjective, you either discriminate based on sex or you don't. Whether sexism is morally acceptable is a matter of opinion, which is why I was quick to point out that you can have your opinion, Jman....it's just...contrary to the ideas of most people you'll be engaging on the internet and it's going to stir up conflict

You're right that hatred and dislike are matters of opinion, and their legitimacy is subjective. Whether it's alright to hate or dislike something is completely up for debate.

What's not up for debate is whether you dislike or hate something. That's subjectivity/ambiguity which -you- should clarify. If you want to criticize me for interpreting your opinion, please set me straight by telling me plainly what your opinion is.

The easiest way to understand your comment about FF13 is that you somehow dislike women, and therefore dislike that game. If you confirm this, then your irrational dislike of women (read: misogyny) is no longer arguable, it's fact.

You're also correct to say that I can't force you to do or think anything. I don't claim that authority. All I can do is give you my opinion, and tell you when you've got your facts wrong.

if you don't care about my opinion, or your mistakes, you don't need to reply.
#50Eddie___DeanPosted 3/16/2013 3:04:10 PM
I feel bad for the TC who just wanted some advice on where to start with the FF series...