NPC's, How would you want them to act in Versus?

#1FlowersAndBaconPosted 3/20/2013 1:35:38 PM
Hi! I'm new to the board and the site in general. Got interested in this game only sometime last year and haven't stopped thinking about it since, so I thought I'd finally join some discussions about it.

I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned but as my first topic on here, I'd just like to ask if there's anything special you'd like to see coming from any NPC's that would/could populate some of the environments in Versus. Would you want very many of them to offer an abundance of sidequest requests? Would you want them to largely be serious and/or subdued to blend with the environment or be fairly interactive? Maybe you are indifferent to the matter? Would be nice to know.
#2peonusPosted 3/20/2013 1:38:07 PM
I recommend finding a new board, son.
#3FlowersAndBacon(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 1:53:25 PM
peonus posted...

Why? I have no intention of spamming or being obnoxious on these forums and I just want to hear some opinions (still want to hear yours too if you wish to express it).
#4peonusPosted 3/20/2013 1:55:40 PM
Ideally I'd prefer if they made it a combination of FF12 and Persona 4. I don't like the Skyrim, Oblivion or WRPG model where anybody can die due to the story constraints.

By the FF12 I mean the NPCs are numerous and sidequests. Take the Hunts and finding the Mark-givers and stuff. That was cool and really engaging. Plus an excuse to explore and added more depth to the story.

By Persona 4, I mean social links. You can build reputation, sort of like WoW, with some characters to engage in better quests. Maybe shop discounts and side stories with no bearing on the central story?

DATING SIM.
#5DHG_SweepPosted 3/20/2013 1:57:39 PM
FlowersAndBacon posted...
peonus posted...

Why? I have no intention of spamming or being obnoxious on these forums and I just want to hear some opinions (still want to hear yours too if you wish to express it).

I think he was saying that more for your benefit. And Id want them to behave like the older ones with just a few written lines that were repeatable if you continued talked to them and the rare one here or there that was part of obtaining some badass item or offered some silly minigame.
---
Anderson Silva > Fedor. People who agree: 1
#6Charizard18Posted 3/20/2013 2:04:14 PM
You arrived at a bit of a bad time, but welcome anyways! It's a nice board but there's rumors and leaks aplenty right now.

Anyways, I would love for the NPCs to be really interactive. I love going around in towns in RPGs and being able to talk to all the people and have them amuse me or tell me some good information about what's going on or where I need to go. Or even foreshadow some things that are going to happen soon. My absolute favorite example of good NPCs in a game is the Mother series. The towns and npcs in those games are so much fun to explore and talk to. The dialogue they say changes with the slightest event so you can go see what they have to say after something's happened. There's even slight foreshadowing about what's going on with Salsa and Fassad in Mother 3 before you're even introduced to them that you wouldn't know if you hadn't talked to the npcs that mention them.

I want to be entertained and informed by the npcs, I don't want to be bored by them. I want to be able to go around and waste time talking to them, I don't want them to be useless extras. I want to be able to get to know the townspeople that I'm robbing potions from xD

It'd be cool for a few to give out sidequests but not too many. I'd rather sidequests be given out by more major characters or at least characters with some minor role in the story. A bad example of npcs are the ones in Sonic 2006 :P they give out worthless sidequests and don't really add much to the experience of the game. I don't want stuff like that to happen.

If they're done right npcs can be real fun and I hope it's done right. I love pointless immersion.
---
Who would win, Jedi Charizard or Jedi Jigglypuff?
"Ready--but watch out for the ULTIMATE TRAFFIC STOPPER: A POLICE ROADBLOCK."
#7Graham_ChapmanPosted 3/20/2013 3:00:54 PM
peonus posted...

I think peonus means that this board is already infested with spammers and obnoxious trolls and you're really sticking your neck out by asking for opinions here and might be better off asking somewhere else.

On topic: I'd like the NPC's to be a bit like the NPC's in the Assassin's Creed series. I want to see them interact with each other and simply react to the PC's (ranging from just commenting upon when Noct&c/o are acting in a way that makes them stick out to maybe even recognizing Noct as prince Caelum).
I only want there to be side-missions if they contribute to the gaming experience by expanding the world. E.g., some missions teaches you a bit about the world of vsXIII, its history and such; some missions teaches you about different Eidolons, fal'Cie's and/or l'Cie's and their impact upon the world around them, and a few missions teaches you more about your PC's or might even add one or two new PC's to the roster.
---
I'M IN DESPAIR!!! THE SEVEN YEARS FINAL FANTASY VERSUS XIII HAS BEEN IN DEVELOPMENT HAVE LEFT ME IN DESPAIR!!!
#8FlowersAndBacon(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 8:24:18 PM
peonus posted...
Ideally I'd prefer if they made it a combination of FF12 and Persona 4. I don't like the Skyrim, Oblivion or WRPG model where anybody can die due to the story constraints.

By the FF12 I mean the NPCs are numerous and sidequests. Take the Hunts and finding the Mark-givers and stuff. That was cool and really engaging. Plus an excuse to explore and added more depth to the story.

By Persona 4, I mean social links. You can build reputation, sort of like WoW, with some characters to engage in better quests. Maybe shop discounts and side stories with no bearing on the central story?

DATING SIM.

Thanks for your thoughts. My sincerest apologies if I came off as snippy or anything. I think I may have misinterpreted your post and I never intended for it to sound that way.

That would be a really nice combination, Persona 4/FF12 mix and side stories. It would definitely give a lot more substance to the setting and story as you mentioned and at least add more purpose to what you'd have to do.

Sometimes completing a quest just for the sake of a reward isn't worth it and it'd be cool if they strengthened it with an interesting narrative and a more realistic way of stumbling upon it. You can only walk up to so many strangers without a proper excuse beforehand and it slides like it's nothing. Maybe make urgent quests that are on the spot available ones? (If the Hunt method was applied.)
But that sounds like a very effective way to go about it.

Also, could definitely embrace a discount here and there.^^ If they did, I'd like to see that in the form of coupons maybe so it'd be another object to look forward to when exploring and be more than a one-time upgrade. Shops always rip us off and there never seems to be much we can do about it.
#9PillsberyDoeManPosted 3/20/2013 8:28:21 PM
Hi! I'm new to the board

clearly someones alt. look at the name, look at the message.
---
impatiently waiting on versus xiii...
EDIT: not so much anymore... (4/28/11)
#10FlowersAndBacon(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 9:37:28 PM
Charizard18 posted...
You arrived at a bit of a bad time, but welcome anyways! It's a nice board but there's rumors and leaks aplenty right now.

Anyways, I would love for the NPCs to be really interactive. I love going around in towns in RPGs and being able to talk to all the people and have them amuse me or tell me some good information about what's going on or where I need to go. Or even foreshadow some things that are going to happen soon. My absolute favorite example of good NPCs in a game is the Mother series. The towns and npcs in those games are so much fun to explore and talk to. The dialogue they say changes with the slightest event so you can go see what they have to say after something's happened. There's even slight foreshadowing about what's going on with Salsa and Fassad in Mother 3 before you're even introduced to them that you wouldn't know if you hadn't talked to the npcs that mention them.

I want to be entertained and informed by the npcs, I don't want to be bored by them. I want to be able to go around and waste time talking to them, I don't want them to be useless extras. I want to be able to get to know the townspeople that I'm robbing potions from xD

It'd be cool for a few to give out sidequests but not too many. I'd rather sidequests be given out by more major characters or at least characters with some minor role in the story. A bad example of npcs are the ones in Sonic 2006 :P they give out worthless sidequests and don't really add much to the experience of the game. I don't want stuff like that to happen.

If they're done right npcs can be real fun and I hope it's done right. I love pointless immersion.

xD The potion part.

Ah, I see. I didn't realize when I posted this question that more rumors had surfaced. I'm not online daily and I didn't think to search for infomation on the game at that moment so I hope I didn't irk anyone with this topic. o_o
But thanks for the welcome!

I know what you mean. I too can always appreciate a lively NPC that has something casual to say, and usually I'm most interested in them while I'm exploring. I hope that they make a good majority of them talkative whether they have something useful to say or not and that they incorporate any information discreetly like in the game you mentioned.

If there's supposed to be an explodable environment I think it was? (objects can get damaged, and the like), maybe they'll take it a step further having them react to things that get tampered with. Like if a parked car gets damaged in a battle and the NPC it belonged to reacts to it afterward complaining their insurance doesn't cover behemoths or something. I haven't seen all the visual resources regarding the gameplay yet, but that'd be a nice touch if they did something like that.

I'm not the biggest on sidequests, but I do think I'd still want 'mainly' NPC's to offer a decent amount of them as long as the tasks made sense. It wouldn't feel too limiting to largely have more notable characters distributing them?