Do you guys think this game has a chance of being....

#1theofficefan99Posted 3/23/2013 2:46:55 PM
two blu-ray discs?

As in, the first being dual-layered, and the second one single-layered?

Let's remember that Final Fantasy XIII was practically 40 GB. This was because it contained 40 minutes of pre-rendered CGI in 1080p. Other than that, the in-game visuals weren't great from a technical standpoint, thus not taking up a lot of space, and in terms of gameplay, it was very easy to handle (aside from the Archylte Steppe) due to the extreme linearity.

As we all know, Final Fantasy Versus XIII is going to have a real-time combat system. It's going to have a big world. It's going to be highly interactive. The visuals will be impressive. There'll be airships. There'll be vehicles. There'll be a world map.

Yeah, gameplay itself doesn't take up much space on the disc, but it'll still take up more space than XIII's gameplay, and the visuals will also be much more impressive technically, and will thus take up more space.

Along with this, Nomura dropped us this bomb last year:

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/01/17/final-fantasy-versus-xiii-has-a-73-ratio-of-real-time-to-pre-rendered-scenes/

A 7:3 ratio of real-time to pre-rendered cutscenes.

This isn't a little bit of CGI, folks. If Nomura used ratios correctly, that is a lot of damn CGI. Moreso than XIII.

XIII had a little over 8 hours worth of cutscenes, and 40 minutes of those 8+ hours were pre-rendered CGI from Visual Works.

Using ratios correctly, the ratio of in-game to pre-rendered CGI footage in XIII is 12:1.

And if we use ratios incorrectly, and treat them like a percentage, then that means 30% of Versus XIII's cutscenes are in pre-rendered CGI. If we use this method, then only around 8% of XIII's cutscenes were in pre-rendered CGI.

So based on this interview, unless everything is completely wrong, and unless there's only around 2-3 hours' worth of story here, this means that Versus XIII will be bloated with pre-rendered footage.

And thus, I think that Versus XIII will be 2 blu-ray discs.

I predicted that Type-0 would be 2 UMD's, and I was spot on, so let's hope that lightning strikes twice here.

Anyone else agree? Why or why not?
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#2SoulMikeYPosted 3/23/2013 4:33:25 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3SteelCurtain17Posted 3/23/2013 4:35:38 PM
SoulMikeY posted...
Do you think before you speak? Or does it just kind of run out like diarrhea? First of all, YOU have no idea how much space anything takes. Secondly, "30%" of the cutscenes, does not mean "30%" of the game. And third... Never mind, I'm wasting my time.

Dude you don't have to be a an ass to someone's topic if you disagree with it
---
Born a Steelers, Reds, and Hoosiers Fan!!!!!! PSN- Cotner84
Skype- Cotner4190 Always up to talk to fellow JRPG fans
#4ExtremeLightPosted 3/23/2013 4:39:29 PM
SoulMikeY posted...
Do you think before you speak? Or does it just kind of run out like diarrhea? First of all, YOU have no idea how much space anything takes. Secondly, "30%" of the cutscenes, does not mean "30%" of the game. And third... Never mind, I'm wasting my time.

Failed post.

Anyway, I don't know office. I am expecting a two disc games but I have my doubt.
---
Lightning Returns will surpass 13-2 and become accepted by haters!
Official Noctis Lucis Caelum of the XV board.
#5ZendaikPosted 3/23/2013 4:52:30 PM
It's possible I guess. Depends on if they don't care for space and don't mind if a lot of CG makes the game run on 2 discs. Would be cool.

Also reading that article just makes me doubt the PS4 rumors. Nomura's been talking about how he'd like to show the game running on actual hardware to the public the next time it's shown off. This was in Jan 2012. Would he say something like that if it was on the PS4 by that point?
---
Monster Hunter Tri, Kid Icarus: Uprising IDs: Kirolos
#6theofficefan99(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2013 4:55:36 PM
SteelCurtain17 posted...
SoulMikeY posted...

Dude you don't have to be a an ass to someone's topic if you disagree with it

And I find it lol-worthy that he didn't even bring up valid points.

My main concern was with the amount of CGI. XIII had 40 minutes' worth and it took up 40 GB, and this game might have quite a bit more. I never said 30% of the game would be in CGI. And I already said that the main things that take up space are audio and pre-rendered footage.

Funny how he was so hostile and yet he ended up making himself look like a buffoon because he didn't even read my post properly.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#7theofficefan99(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2013 4:58:00 PM
Zendaik posted...
It's possible I guess. Depends on if they don't care for space and don't mind if a lot of CG makes the game run on 2 discs. Would be cool.

Also reading that article just makes me doubt the PS4 rumors. Nomura's been talking about how he'd like to show the game running on actual hardware to the public the next time it's shown off. This was in Jan 2012. Would he say something like that if it was on the PS4 by that point?

I don't think they do. Squaresoft and Square Enix are very familiar with multi-disc games. There's quite a big chance. I don't think they'll resort to compressing the audio or the pre-rendered cutscenes, because those were big complaints with Final Fantasy XII and the 360 version of Final Fantasy XIII, respectively.

Anything is possible at this point :p I'd be happy either way. If it does end up coming out for the PS3, though, I'd wish that it came out sooner, because I want this game to be very relevant and I want it to be a huge success.

We'll see, though.
---
#8marko7Posted 3/23/2013 5:08:09 PM
Isn't the point of Blu-ray to negate the need to swap discs? Why is it such a fascination of yours to have this on 2 discs? There's no need for it. Im sure it would cost them a lot more money in production too so they're probably gonna compress the hell out of it or cut content in order to keep it to one disc.

theofficefan99 posted...
I predicted that Type-0 would be 2 UMD's, and I was spot on, so let's hope that lightning strikes twice here.

Yes, but thats not really a miraculous prediction seeing as UMD's can only hold a measly 1.8gb max.
---
Ruler of the FF Agito XIII Boards 2011-2013
The Official Creator of the Noctis Orgy on the FF Versus XIII Boards
#9theofficefan99(Topic Creator)Posted 3/23/2013 5:17:31 PM
marko7 posted...
Isn't the point of Blu-ray to negate the need to swap discs? Why is it such a fascination of yours to have this on 2 discs? There's no need for it. Im sure it would cost them a lot more money in production too so they're probably gonna compress the hell out of it or cut content in order to keep it to one disc.

theofficefan99 posted...

Yes, but thats not really a miraculous prediction seeing as UMD's can only hold a measly 1.8gb max.

I love it when games are multi-disc (except when they stack them all together like every 3+ disc game on the 360). It'll also make Versus XIII look really impressive. "A PS3 game so amazing in scope and production values, it spans two discs!" I dunno.

And yeah, but even early on in the PS3's life cycle, with Metal Gear Solid 4, they nearly filled up the entire disc. It was, what, 46, 47 GB? Granted, the audio was uncompressed, but it was still quite a big game in terms of size.

I hope they don't compress and I hope they don't cut content :p

Well, cutting content won't do much to save space. If anything, they'll compress, but excessive compression is never well-received. To keep XII from being 2 discs, they compressed the audio, and it was obvious. To keep XIII from being 4+ discs, they compressed the pre-rendered cutscenes, and a lot of people complained about how bad they looked. IIRC, one person was so mad that they tried suing SE for "false advertising" during commercials, implying that the PS3 and 360 versions are identical in terms of the quality of the pre-rendered cutscenes.

I know, but there was only one other 2 UMD game before Type-0, so it was definitely a rarity. The only multi-disc games on the PS3 are collections, so those don't really count. I believe this game is ambitious enough and the interview pretty much confirmed that the game will have a good chunk of CGI, so I think it being 2 discs is quite possible.
---
#10Panda_KunPosted 3/23/2013 6:12:13 PM
I don't really care. So what if it's two blu-rays? I don't see your point, Officebrah.
---
"Lara Croft, You're My Hero!"