Why does Noctis fall asleep so often?

#1RasukouPosted 3/24/2013 5:22:41 PM
In all of the trailers we've seen (including the TGS 2010 one), we see Noctis either dozing off or resting.

What would be really interesting is: Noctis has been granted with an enormous power, but every time he uses that power, it wears him out and he needs to rest. What if, the more often (and for longer durations) he uses that power, the more time he needs to "recharge" (like an actual battery)?

I'm not talking about gameplay so much as the actual story. I wonder if Noctis will eventually fall into an "eternal" slumber or something.

What do you think? Why does Noctis sleep so much?
#2Panda_KunPosted 3/24/2013 5:24:16 PM
He's a lazy git. No, I kid but I would love something similar to what you said.
---
"Lara Croft, You're My Hero!"
#3theofficefan99Posted 3/24/2013 5:28:22 PM(edited)
lol. Noctis being narcoleptic would be so dumb. Or, on second thought, that might be pretty cool. I dunno.

I dunno. "Sleep" is a heavy theme in this game. Along with Noctis seen resting and whatnot at his throne, the main theme "Somnus" refers to the roman god of sleep, and the logo of the game is one of a sleeping god/goddess.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#4Rasukou(Topic Creator)Posted 3/24/2013 5:33:40 PM
I'm not talking about narcolepsy. I can't see Noctis randomly falling asleep in the middle of a battle or a conversation, lol. What I mean is, think of Noctis as a (rechargeable) battery. It's expended and then recharged, but at some point, its life span starts to decrease, and it can't hold its charge as long. Eventually it needs to recharged more often.

That's the best analogy I can come up with for Noctis. At first, he can use his power for extensive periods of time, but then he needs to sleep more often as he continues to use it.

Anyways, yes, sleep is a big theme in Versus, so is it likened to death? Do people who "see the light" (of Etro's Gate) become cursed and slowly begin to die?
#5theofficefan99Posted 3/24/2013 5:35:50 PM
Rasukou posted...
I'm not talking about narcolepsy. I can't see Noctis randomly falling asleep in the middle of a battle or a conversation, lol. What I mean is, think of Noctis as a (rechargeable) battery. It's expended and then recharged, but at some point, its life span starts to decrease, and it can't hold its charge as long. Eventually it needs to recharged more often.

That's the best analogy I can come up with for Noctis. At first, he can use his power for extensive periods of time, but then he needs to sleep more often as he continues to use it.

Anyways, yes, sleep is a big theme in Versus, so is it likened to death? Do people who "see the light" (of Etro's Gate) become cursed and slowly begin to die?

lol, I know, I was just teasing. Yeah, like I said, it could be interesting.

Yes, I think so, too. The other big theme in this game is "death," so we'll see.

Man, just thinking about the story gets me really excited. :p
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#6Rasukou(Topic Creator)Posted 3/24/2013 5:37:54 PM
Remember when Kitase said that the story/ending would have us crying for days?

I know it's an exaggeration, but now I wonder .... just how gloomy will Noctis's story be? And I forget, is the game supposed to have a bildungsroman-like story?
#7sordanPosted 3/24/2013 5:46:44 PM
He's sleepy from being bored waiting in that throne for 6+ years.
#8theofficefan99Posted 3/24/2013 6:03:32 PM
Rasukou posted...
Remember when Kitase said that the story/ending would have us crying for days?

I know it's an exaggeration, but now I wonder .... just how gloomy will Noctis's story be? And I forget, is the game supposed to have a bildungsroman-like story?

He did? O:

Do you have a link?
---
#9Rasukou(Topic Creator)Posted 3/24/2013 6:25:27 PM
“People will cry because of the story, they will get involved into it and will be crying for a whole week and on!”- Yoshinori Kitase giving his view on Versus XIII story

http://gematsu.com/2010/08/final-fantasy-versus-xiii-all-the-details-so-far

And Nomura's response to that, lol:

“It’ll be that awful?? We’ll balance it very well because playing and seeing those unpleasant sad scenes for hours could become a problem for avid players so we’ll work on that” – Tetsuya Nomura responding to Kitase’s comments.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Final-Fantasy-Series/Final-Fantasy-Versus-XIII-All-the-details-so-far/td-p/1686229
#10theofficefan99Posted 3/24/2013 6:38:06 PM
Rasukou posted...
“People will cry because of the story, they will get involved into it and will be crying for a whole week and on!”- Yoshinori Kitase giving his view on Versus XIII story

http://gematsu.com/2010/08/final-fantasy-versus-xiii-all-the-details-so-far

And Nomura's response to that, lol:

“It’ll be that awful?? We’ll balance it very well because playing and seeing those unpleasant sad scenes for hours could become a problem for avid players so we’ll work on that” – Tetsuya Nomura responding to Kitase’s comments.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Final-Fantasy-Series/Final-Fantasy-Versus-XIII-All-the-details-so-far/td-p/1686229

...my hype... can't... let it... rise...

I'm really hoping that the story and characters impress me at how amazing they are. From the looks of it, this game has potential. It's incredibly ambitious, unique, bold and inspired. Can't wait. Hope they pull it off.
---