What if this game is renamed to just "Final Fantasy Versus"?

#1RasukouPosted 3/25/2013 11:32:35 PM
Without the "XIII" attached at the end?
Or what if it's just called "Versus"?

I was reading the "All the details so far" article the other day, and I came across an explanation of the title's importance. The word "Versus" seems to be a major theme, not only because it's against FFXIII but because the nature and story of the game suggests a deviation from (and yet also a nostalgic return to) previous FFs.
(Side note: if FFXIII is a departure from the 'traditional' FF series, and Versus is supposed to be a counter to XIII, then what is Versus's relationship to previous FF entries?)

SQUARE ENIX probably wouldn't want to drop that word from the title. Also, I thought about Bravely Default. I haven't played the game myself, so I don't know how similar it is to FF aside from the information I gleaned from Wikipedia. It's a spiritual successor to FF: The 4 Heroes of Light, which makes it somewhat of a FF game in all but name. FINAL FANTASY VERSUS may then be a possibility.

What do you folks think? Does this reasoning make sense? Would such a title change affect your decision to purchase (or not purchase) the game?
#2ExentrykPosted 3/25/2013 11:35:29 PM
Casual gamers will wonder if this is a Street Fighter game with FF characters.
---
Veni, Vidi, Dormivi.
#3Rasukou(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2013 11:37:54 PM
Then it's SQUARE ENIX's job to do proper advertising and tell these "casual gamers" that it is not so.

Oh, and I think if they take 2 minutes to read the back cover of the game's box.....
#4sicko26usPosted 3/26/2013 4:03:45 AM
I thought that was the plan? Because of all the time and money they have spent on it they want to separate it from the 13 failure.
---
Motomu Toriyama is the worst writer in the history of video games, if you agree add this quote.
#5kilaudePosted 3/26/2013 5:01:06 AM
It would be better
#6SoulMikeYPosted 3/26/2013 8:46:27 AM(edited)
Exentryk posted...
Casual gamers will wonder if this is a Street Fighter game with FF characters.

On the other hand, keeping the XIII will deter other fans after the recent "fails". Maybe it should just be "Versus: Final Fantasy".

Edit: "Final Fantasy: Noctis Orgy"
#7AshleyRiot223Posted 3/26/2013 9:27:41 AM
sounds good
---
"Those who crave the dark cannot control the dark"
#8CrybabyloverPosted 3/26/2013 1:52:34 PM
I'd be fine with that. I never include the XIII whenever I refer to this game anyway.
---
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
[3DS FC: 1289-8445-3650] | [NNID: xShiga] | [PSN: Shiga2714] | [Steam: xxshigaxx]
#9largerockPosted 3/26/2013 5:22:18 PM
Would make the world a better place.
---
Not changing this sig until Final Fantasy Versus XIII comes out.
Official Atlas of the god of war ascension board.
#10theofficefan99Posted 3/26/2013 7:54:17 PM
Rasukou posted...
Then it's SQUARE ENIX's job to do proper advertising and tell these "casual gamers" that it is not so.

Oh, and I think if they take 2 minutes to read the back cover of the game's box.....

You're assuming that most people are smart enough to catch on.

They aren't.

There's no way this game will be named "Final Fantasy Versus." It will either stay as "Versus XIII" or be something entirely different.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin