If Versus XIII is next gen...CGI cutscenes scrapped?

#11theofficefan99Posted 3/29/2013 7:24:37 PM(edited)
3D3 posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
3D3 posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
There is no way they will get scrapped.

Agni's Philosophy took a year and over $100,000 to make, and it was a tech demo-- and we all know that in-game visuals pretty much never come close to the visuals of the tech demo. At least since this gen.

Just a comparison between the best shot of Agni and one of the best shots of Versus XIII's CGI:

http://www.agnisphilosophy.com/files/img/philosophy/screenshots/original_j.jpg

VS.

http://www.ff-versusxiii.net/images/media/4d47cc30_Versus4-(6).png

Still much more impressive.

And obviously there's no way a full game will look as good as Agni's Philosophy, at least on a technical level when you're running around the fields.

I'm sure pre-rendered CGI cutscenes will remain in games for quite a while. It's not like CGI technology never improves, anyways.

Well aren't the first few trailers of Versus XIII already scrapped considering that Noctis is wearing his old clothes.

So what? All of the CGI in the January 2011 trailer is still in-tact because they didn't change the clothing again or anything.

This game will have CGI cutscenes.
So will XV.
And so will XVI.
etc. etc. etc.

I don't see CGI cutscenes going away for at least another 10 years, and even then, I can still see pre-rendered CGI cutscenes being used because present-day in-game visuals will never match the quality of present-day pre-rendered CGI.

No **** I was talking about the ones with the old clothes being scrapped.

People need to take chill pills on this board, geez.

I'm completely calm, I don't really know what you're talking about.

And yes, that's not my point, dude. I'm basically saying that there's no way that Versus XIII won't have CGI cutscenes, even if it goes to the PS4 and fully uses the Luminous Engine, so don't worry. There's still a very noticeable gap, and both SE and its fans love CGI cutscenes far too much to scrap them this early, if ever.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#12largerockPosted 3/29/2013 11:49:03 PM
IF it is done then...No more CGI cutscenes but...now there will be CGI Gameplay.
---
Not changing this sig until Final Fantasy Versus XIII comes out.
Official Atlas of the god of war ascension board.
#13theofficefan99Posted 3/30/2013 10:13:48 AM
largerock posted...
IF it is done then...No more CGI cutscenes but...now there will be CGI Gameplay.

That kind of already happened with the PS1 FF's. There were many moments where you were walking around and doing something gameplay-wise while a CGI cutscene was playing in the background. The Desert Prison escape in FFVIII and the elevator rides in Esthar in FFVIII come to mind.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#14SoaringDivePosted 3/30/2013 4:31:50 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
3D3 posted...
theofficefan99 posted...

Agni's Philosophy took a year and over $100,000 to make, and it was a tech demo-- and we all know that in-game visuals pretty much never come close to the visuals of the tech demo. At least since this gen.

Just a comparison between the best shot of Agni and one of the best shots of Versus XIII's CGI:

VS.

And obviously there's no way a full game will look as good as Agni's Philosophy, at least on a technical level when you're running around the fields.

I'm sure pre-rendered CGI cutscenes will remain in games for quite a while. It's not like CGI technology never improves, anyways.

Well aren't the first few trailers of Versus XIII already scrapped considering that Noctis is wearing his old clothes.

So what? All of the CGI in the January 2011 trailer is still in-tact because they didn't change the clothing again or anything.

So will XV.
And so will XVI.
etc. etc. etc.

I don't see CGI cutscenes going away for at least another 10 years, and even then, I can still see pre-rendered CGI cutscenes being used because present-day in-game visuals will never match the quality of present-day pre-rendered CGI.

I can definitely see CGI cutscenes going away for the most part coming next gen. I can see developers incorporating real-time elements into cutscenes. Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_18nXt_WMF4
---
PM (on GFaqs) me if you add me (I won't bite)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive
#15theofficefan99Posted 3/30/2013 4:49:40 PM
SoaringDive posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
3D3 posted...
theofficefan99 posted...

VS.

So will XV.
And so will XVI.
etc. etc. etc.

I can definitely see CGI cutscenes going away for the most part coming next gen. I can see developers incorporating real-time elements into cutscenes. Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_18nXt_WMF4

Metal Gear Solid has always been in-game from the get-go, anyways.

I still expect companies to use CGI cutscenes for the opening and/or ending to their games, and I expect companies with their own in-house CGI studios, such as Square Enix and Blizzard, to continue including CGI cutscenes in their games, along with SEGA, Mistwalker, Lionhead, Bioware (for openings and a few scenes not including characters), tri-Ace, and the like. Like I said, even though in-game visuals are improving, so are CGI visuals. They'll still have their uses next-gen.
---
#16samimckeePosted 3/31/2013 11:28:15 AM
Wouldn't it be far more cost-effective and efficient to simply use real-time cutscenes and touch them up with CGI, like Metal Gear Rising did? CGI certainly looks better, sure, but the pros of using real-time far outweigh a negligible difference in prettiness.
#17theofficefan99Posted 3/31/2013 1:17:28 PM
samimckee posted...
Wouldn't it be far more cost-effective and efficient to simply use real-time cutscenes and touch them up with CGI, like Metal Gear Rising did? CGI certainly looks better, sure, but the pros of using real-time far outweigh a negligible difference in prettiness.

Rising just had pre-rendered cutscenes. It didn't use a super high-tech CGI/FMV engine for any of their cutscenes.

And that's based on perspective. Plenty of people love pre-rendered CGI/FMV cutscenes in games and it serves as a great reward, it makes certain scenes much more memorable, and they're also great for advertising and whatnot. They're expensive, but they're definitely worth it in the end.
---
#18RasukouPosted 3/31/2013 1:20:07 PM
This isn't on-topic, but I really feel excited about the "interactive cutscenes" that Versus will have. It's good to save the CGI for the important scenes that players can just drool over (and not worry about QTEs or whatever...).
#19KOTRsssPosted 4/1/2013 5:03:22 AM
CGI cutscenes in games are always prerendered, so there's no reason they'd have to discard them.
---
Gamefaqs has taught us that academic fields like literature don't exist because of teenagers that say "well that's just your opinion and I disagree."
#20Eddie___DeanPosted 4/2/2013 9:07:17 AM
The pre-rendered scenes would probably still look a tad better than in game cutscenes- even if its on PS4. They're pretty much Advent Children quality already.