You know, MAYBE if Square Enix would stop making so many damn engines...

#1zombie_basher13Posted 4/7/2013 5:39:23 PM
They could get out games faster! Luminous, Crystal, since the dawn of PS3 they've been more concerned with building their own game engines, which has already backfired on them for A WHOLE GENERATION PRETTY MUCH, than actually focusing on creating quality games. It's done more harm than good, you know? Versus has what like, 3 different engines inside it? Who the hell does that? Why can't SE just take other engines, like Unreal 4, optimize it, and get cranking? I hear Agni's tech demo took one year to make. OMG. What a waste of time and money. And Crystal apparently was "hard to use." It's no wonder they sucked so bad this gen.

And you know what's funny? Other engines like Unreal 4 and that one at PS4 conference look 10x better than Luminous, and isn't it true FF XIII characters were composed of only 9000 polygons? Isn't that pretty terrible or something? So not only do they waste time making engines, they waste time making BAD engines. What a joke.
---
Look alive, you fools.
#2theofficefan99Posted 4/7/2013 5:46:43 PM
I think the Luminous Engine is by far the best looking engine. And they said this is much easier to utilize. So we'll see.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#3heartlesshero17Posted 4/7/2013 5:47:05 PM
Why can't SE just take other engines, like Unreal 4, optimize it, and get cranking?

Sad part is they aren't even against using other engines in general. They've used UE3 before and signed a licensing agreement with epic about using 3 and 4 engines on multiple projects

In the end, they just wanted to have their own special thing. I mean other engines will of course be better looking, but there isn't much jrpgs that look as good as FFXIII and versus 13. So they probably figured focusing on making stuff look like that and even better will get them ahead of others.

Crystal tools didn't work out so well for them sadly. So what are they gonna do with that anyways? Does it blow so hard that after LR it will never be used again? Making a new engine for like 3 games, all in the same series seems like a huge waste
---
I'll eat a sock if VersusXIII is actually a mind blowing game.
-PainsPerception
#4heartlesshero17Posted 4/7/2013 5:48:35 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
I think the Luminous Engine is by far the best looking engine. And they said this is much easier to utilize. So we'll see.

I dunno about it being the best so far, but it being much easier to use is a good step up for them since they seem to have troubles this gen with their older engine
---
I'll eat a sock if VersusXIII is actually a mind blowing game.
-PainsPerception
#5YOUNHA-Posted 4/7/2013 5:50:20 PM
And the Crystal Tools engine is starting to look really dated.
---
The Official Head Of The Established Secret Society Of T.R.R
SDB- "Crazy For You" : www.youtube.com/watch?v=4izc3i4Ulg0
#6ExentrykPosted 4/7/2013 5:57:54 PM
It's important to have a good engine, as all their games are designed with it.

SE only had Crystal Tools (White Engine) for PS3. That is used for FFXIII, XIII-2, LR and Versus XIII (Versus customized it though to suit itself + lightning was from the early build of Luminous). SE struggled coz this engine wasn't that great (not suitable for open world development, less flexibility? etc).

They're now getting it right by having a fully scalable and powerful engine in Luminous Studio. It can be used to make PS4 to tablet to mobile phone games. The engine is now being fully used to make their PS4 FF. Let's see how they go this generation.
---
Veni, Vidi, Dormivi.
#7shadowSEXilPosted 4/7/2013 6:15:35 PM
YOUNHA- posted...

XIII-2 and Lightning Returns, sure. That's multiplat development's problem. XIII (PS3) and Versus are beautiful looking games. Crystal Tools is basically a Sony Engine.
---
I eat cereal for breakfast with 1% milk.
#8Cyber_Boy94Posted 4/7/2013 6:25:41 PM
The Crystal Tools was made for the last gen, and they made Luminous for this up-coming gen.

Their problem isn't engine development, it was their priorities being changed with the crash of FFXIV.

Because of that game bombing hard, they decided to make it AGAIN, but they needed a budget for it, so they put out XIII-2 and Lightning Returns. Versus was put on the back burner because of it.

I'm not saying making a new engine didn't hurt Versus, but it's not the primary blame either, it's SE having games bomb that would be the major upset.
---
PSN=Cyber_Boy94
Support Project Crystallis http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/project-crystallis.html
#9Lelouch71Posted 4/7/2013 6:51:06 PM
shadowSEXil posted...
YOUNHA- posted...

XIII-2 and Lightning Returns, sure. That's multiplat development's problem. XIII (PS3) and Versus are beautiful looking games. Crystal Tools is basically a Sony Engine.

XIII and Versus (from previous trailer) look dated to me not that I'm a graphic whore.
---
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"
#10theofficefan99Posted 4/7/2013 8:57:38 PM
Exentryk posted...
It's important to have a good engine, as all their games are designed with it.

SE only had Crystal Tools (White Engine) for PS3. That is used for FFXIII, XIII-2, LR and Versus XIII (Versus customized it though to suit itself + lightning was from the early build of Luminous). SE struggled coz this engine wasn't that great (not suitable for open world development, less flexibility? etc).

They're now getting it right by having a fully scalable and powerful engine in Luminous Studio. It can be used to make PS4 to tablet to mobile phone games. The engine is now being fully used to make their PS4 FF. Let's see how they go this generation.

They also used Crystal Tools for XIV 1.0. Dunno what they're using for ARR.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin