You know, MAYBE if Square Enix would stop making so many damn engines...

#11theofficefan99Posted 4/7/2013 8:59:07 PM
shadowSEXil posted...
YOUNHA- posted...
And the Crystal Tools engine is starting to look really dated.

XIII-2 and Lightning Returns, sure. That's multiplat development's problem. XIII (PS3) and Versus are beautiful looking games. Crystal Tools is basically a Sony Engine.

Indeed (though in XIII-2, Academia and Valhalla look excellent). I'm currently re-playing XIII and I'm still wowed by areas like Lake Bresha, Gapra Whitewood, Sunleth Waterscape, Nautilus, etc. etc. etc.

And of course the cutscenes, both in-game and CGI, are still freaking gorgeous.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#12ZendaikPosted 4/8/2013 1:22:10 AM
Versus only uses two engines as far as we know - an engine meant for an action RPG (customized Crystal Tools?) + Luminous for lighting.

They made Luminous as their next gen engine, and that'll be their only engine going forward as far as we know.

They can borrow Unreal Engine but that doesn't mean it'll fit their needs. The type of games SE will make may not be suitable to make with Unreal Engine. As you can see from Versus they're using its own specific engine (albeit it might just be a customized Crystal Tools, but they'd still have to customize it for Versus) to handle its action RPG combat. So that's why they made Luminous, to fit their needs going forward.
---
Monster Hunter Tri, Kid Icarus: Uprising IDs: Kirolos
#13dantes_banePosted 4/8/2013 9:00:10 PM(edited)
SE stocks must just get continuously railed. I'd be interested in seeing what their status is...honestly the company seems hell-bent on going bankrupt as quickly as possible.

EDIT: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/stock/chart.html looks like they've recently taken a sharp dive....
#14dantes_banePosted 4/8/2013 8:58:26 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#15RasukouPosted 4/8/2013 9:27:27 PM
Is there another Japanese company that makes a 'Japanese' engine? SQEX might want to use only a Japan-made engine (especially for Final Fantasy and 'Japanese' titles) and sees no appeal in a 'Western-created' engine.

If, on the other hand, other Japanese companies use 'pre-made' (especially Western) engines, then I have no idea what Square Enix thinks it's doing. Welcome to the 21st century, Square Enix. Stop trying to do everything yourself and just specialize in making games onegaishimasu. Faanzu uiru bii berii ureshii yo.
#16SoulMikeYPosted 4/8/2013 10:19:14 PM
Lelouch71 posted...
shadowSEXil posted...
YOUNHA- posted...

XIII-2 and Lightning Returns, sure. That's multiplat development's problem. XIII (PS3) and Versus are beautiful looking games. Crystal Tools is basically a Sony Engine.

XIII and Versus (from previous trailer) look dated to me not that I'm a graphic whore.

If those look dated to you, you definitely ARE a graphics whore. I hate XIII, but I can't deny those are close to best graphics I've ever seen. In fact, graphics can stay how they are now for next gen and they should just make games bigger. If you've seen watch dogs' graphics, that's too much. Games should not start looking realistic.
#17Lelouch71Posted 4/8/2013 10:31:46 PM
SoulMikeY posted...
Lelouch71 posted...
shadowSEXil posted...
YOUNHA- posted...

XIII and Versus (from previous trailer) look dated to me not that I'm a graphic whore.

If those look dated to you, you definitely ARE a graphics whore. I hate XIII, but I can't deny those are close to best graphics I've ever seen. In fact, graphics can stay how they are now for next gen and they should just make games bigger. If you've seen watch dogs' graphics, that's too much. Games should not start looking realistic.

I'm speaking objectively. They look dated compared to other things I seen. I can see where they could improve upon them. Not that they are ugly. I still find FFIX to be beautiful and its very outdated.
---
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"
#18theofficefan99Posted 4/8/2013 11:11:56 PM
Lelouch71 posted...
SoulMikeY posted...
Lelouch71 posted...
shadowSEXil posted...
YOUNHA- posted...

I'm speaking objectively. They look dated compared to other things I seen. I can see where they could improve upon them. Not that they are ugly. I still find FFIX to be beautiful and its very outdated.

On a technical standpoint in terms of polygons and whatnot? Well, FF has never been big on polygons after the release of FFX. As a whole, though, XIII looks amazing and Versus XIII looks incredible. And with Versus XIII, we've only seen the old build.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#19PillsberyDoeManPosted 4/9/2013 1:43:22 AM
i'm pretty sure v13 won't pump as much polygons on screen as 13 did. when 13 got too greedy with the amount of activity being showed in one screen, the frame rate paid the price. nautilus park comes to mind. it didn't happen often, but it happened.

since versus takes place in a sprawling open-like world , i'd assume in order for it to run smooth, graphics would have to take a hit. i mean, 13 took place in a hallway for 90% of the game. versus is the complete opposite. i don't see how it can run smooth AND look as good as 13 without sacrificing something.

that doesn't mean it can't "look" as nice though. art and design can go a loooong way. as an example, check out the room in the 2011 trailer where noctis and co start fighting (3:31). that goth-like architecture looks friggen gorgeous.
---
impatiently waiting on versus xiii...
EDIT: not so much anymore... (4/28/11)
#20Asd202Posted 4/9/2013 6:52:55 AM(edited)
heartlesshero17 posted...
Why can't SE just take other engines, like Unreal 4, optimize it, and get cranking?

Sad part is they aren't even against using other engines in general. They've used UE3 before and signed a licensing agreement with epic about using 3 and 4 engines on multiple projects

Yeah that's dumb as F***. Make your one next gen engine buys UE4 licence from Epic anyway...