Oh no...I think this game really might be cancelled now...

#1zombie_basher13Posted 4/14/2013 1:35:24 AM
http://www.vg247.com/2013/04/09/square-enix-blames-huge-slump-in-us-sales-for-western-title-failures/

If you can't be bothered to read this whole article about SE's recent big losses, at least scroll down to section "Cutting Costs" and read the whole thing.

Done? Okay...after reading that, I'm really worried about Versus now you guys. Here's some excerpts if you don't wanna check the link:

"Square Enix is now making an “extraordinary loss in an effort to sort out items not achieving expected revenue levels, through scrapping those items and terminating production”, Wada said – making a loss on disposing of unprofitable projects, in other words.

"Of a ¥4 billion loss, more than ¥2 billion is related to studios in Japan, where production has been halted on some work-in-progress games."

Oh no oh no oh no oh no!! This is really bad. Really really bad. It looks like Versus may INDEED be dead at this point. Which explains the silence.
---
Look alive, you fools.
#2SSj7CloudSPosted 4/14/2013 1:44:53 AM
Honestly, doesn't surprise me at this point if it's the case.
---
Playing: Red Steel 2, Hyperbakersdozen Neptunia: mk2many. PSN: Jext77 feel free to add me.
http://bit.ly/NepgearRising
#3shadowSEXilPosted 4/14/2013 2:02:04 AM
Versus XIII is very likely not a part of that number. Final Fantasy XIII's development cost was 5 billion yen; Versus XIII is very likely around that number, if not higher. Cancelling that project would put their Japan studio losses well over the 2 billion yen it has suffered.
---
I eat cereal for breakfast with 1% milk.
#4Graham_ChapmanPosted 4/14/2013 3:45:05 AM
It would only explain the silence if the silence was broken by an announcement (of a future announcement) that vsXIII had been cancelled.
---
I'M IN DESPAIR!!! THE SEVEN YEARS FINAL FANTASY VERSUS XIII HAS BEEN IN DEVELOPMENT HAVE LEFT ME IN DESPAIR!!!
#5Nuck-chorrisPosted 4/14/2013 4:33:49 AM
They wouldnt. If they do, then its my time to kick SE out of my life,
---
Square Enix. Get it together maaan.
#6seafoamwinterPosted 4/14/2013 7:23:25 AM
They blame their problems on the Western games wtf
---
"I've tried everything, nothing works"... Then try doing nothing.
#7iambashoPosted 4/14/2013 7:50:32 AM
seafoamwinter posted...

No, they blame their problems on the western gamers. Which, IMO, is one of the stupidest things to say. Collectively, when we gamers look to SE we want to see high quality JRPGs, not GTA rehashes or assassin/stealth games. If they really want to succeed, they need to stop pouring so much money into the eidos studio and go back to what worked 20 years ago: putting out games people actually want to play.
---
Tired of waiting for info on FF Versus XIII and/or a localization announcement for FF Type-0? Support Project Crystallis! http://projectcrystallis.org/
#8kratitosPosted 4/14/2013 8:49:17 AM
They got what they deserve. I'm glad.
#9RasukouPosted 4/14/2013 8:57:44 AM
seafoamwinter posted...

Not surprised, really. And it seems more to be "North American" gamers. :P
#10theofficefan99Posted 4/14/2013 9:10:41 AM
TC they definitely didn't cancel this game. I'm sure this game's development cost is way more than 2 billion yen. They probably cancelled stuff like that Bloodmasque game and that PS3/Vita cross title and perhaps other projects that were barely started. As someone else stated earlier, XIII cost around 5 billion yen, and Versus XIII will cost nearly the same amount, if not more.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin