Oh no...I think this game really might be cancelled now...

#71theofficefan99Posted 4/16/2013 8:40:49 PM
Exentryk posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
It's up to interpretation, I guess.

No, it's not! Technically speaking, a mainline numbered title is "FFXIII", not "FFXIII something". I'd buy the argument that Versus and Type-0 all combine towards a XIII if FFXIII had a subtitle.

It is. Some even consider X-2 and XIII-2 mainline.

And I really think it's rather insulting to not consider Type-0 and Versus XIII as mainline titles because the developers themselves said they count as the collective "XIII" and they even said that they're not "side stories." All they said about Versus XIII is that it does stuff they couldn't do with a numbered title. And a mainline title doesn't necessarily mean numbered title. And plus, their budgets are way too big for spin-offs. I'm pretty sure Versus XIII's budget is going to be far larger than that of XIII's by the time of its release. This is all pretty much my opinion, of course.

Dude... the developers outright stated that they all combine into "XIII." This one definitely isn't up to interpretation.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#72UberPyro64Posted 4/16/2013 8:42:03 PM
Versus XIII should be moved to PS4 and changed to XV. Yeah it's gameplay is different but honestly, it's time for a change.
---
My SSB4 Roster: http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/5691/april20132roster.png
#73theofficefan99Posted 4/16/2013 8:47:14 PM
UberPyro64 posted...
Versus XIII should be moved to PS4 and changed to XV. Yeah it's gameplay is different but honestly, it's time for a change.

As long as they didn't change their original vision to the point where it doesn't even feel like Versus XIII, I'm fine with that. They need to do something to revitalize the interest for the game. I don't think they'd be able to just show it as Versus XIII on the PS3. I dunno. We'll see.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#74ExentrykPosted 4/16/2013 8:52:05 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
And a mainline title doesn't necessarily mean numbered title.

For the sake of clarity, mainline = numbered for me. So, as Versus XIII and Type-0 are not numbered titles, they are not mainline. But mainline may mean different things to different people, so I am not going to argue that.

But XIII is not the same as Versus and Type-0. Why do people want Versus to be renamed FFXV? Coz then it'll have a numbered status, rather than a side-story status.
---
Veni, Vidi, Dormivi.
#75theofficefan99Posted 4/16/2013 8:57:25 PM
Exentryk posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
And a mainline title doesn't necessarily mean numbered title.

For the sake of clarity, mainline = numbered for me. So, as Versus XIII and Type-0 are not numbered titles, they are not mainline. But mainline may mean different things to different people, so I am not going to argue that.

But XIII is not the same as Versus and Type-0. Why do people want Versus to be renamed FFXV? Coz then it'll have a numbered status, rather than a side-story status.

I know. That's why I said it's up to interpretation :p

I never said that it is. But the developers themselves said that Type-0, Versus XIII and XIII are all "XIII," just different versions of it.

And why wouldn't people on here want Versus XIII to have a more respectable status? >.>... Plus, no matter what, it's not a "side story/spin off." The developers outright stated this.
---
#76ExentrykPosted 4/16/2013 9:07:09 PM(edited)
theofficefan99 posted...
I never said that it is. But the developers themselves said that Type-0, Versus XIII and XIII are all "XIII," just different versions of it.

Irrespective of what they've said, they have given unequal importance to them; only one is a numbered title and the other two are not. People aren't gonna look up quotes as to what the devs said. When I ask someone about FFXIII, they don't think about Versus or Type-0, do they?

XIII > Versus and Type-0 in terms of how they are named. And that's what I am not happy with.
---
Veni, Vidi, Dormivi.
#77theofficefan99Posted 4/16/2013 11:01:02 PM
Exentryk posted...
theofficefan99 posted...

Irrespective of what they've said, they have given unequal importance to them; only one is a numbered title and the other two are not. People aren't gonna look up quotes as to what the devs said. When I ask someone about FFXIII, they don't think about Versus or Type-0, do they?

XIII > Versus and Type-0 in terms of how they are named. And that's what I am not happy with.

I know, but that doesn't change the fact that they're not spin-offs and that they are, in fact, all part of "XIII." I won't disagree that Type-0 and potentially Versus XIII (unless its name changes) won't get the recognition they deserve because they aren't numbered titles.
---
#78kingrat2314Posted 4/18/2013 2:13:51 AM
zombie_basher13 posted...
http://www.vg247.com/2013/04/09/square-enix-blames-huge-slump-in-us-sales-for-western-title-failures/

If you can't be bothered to read this whole article about SE's recent big losses, at least scroll down to section "Cutting Costs" and read the whole thing.

Done? Okay...after reading that, I'm really worried about Versus now you guys. Here's some excerpts if you don't wanna check the link:

"Square Enix is now making an “extraordinary loss in an effort to sort out items not achieving expected revenue levels, through scrapping those items and terminating production”, Wada said – making a loss on disposing of unprofitable projects, in other words.

"Of a ¥4 billion loss, more than ¥2 billion is related to studios in Japan, where production has been halted on some work-in-progress games."

Oh no oh no oh no oh no!! This is really bad. Really really bad. It looks like Versus may INDEED be dead at this point. Which explains the silence.

Versus XIII isn't an unprofitable project. You know SE, they start like 50 projects a day. There are plenty of filler games they don't need to release.
---
Logical Fallacies: The official language of Gamefaqs!
With just a whisper, they're all ears.
#79Eddie___DeanPosted 4/19/2013 10:55:59 AM
I think we can all accept that the next time we see Versus it will be dramatically different. The game has had a media blackout for over 2 years- a time it takes for a normal developer to create an entire game from scratch. They could have scrapped entire characters, concepts, plot points, gameplay styles, target platforms, ANYTHING.

If at E3 they show just an updated version of what we saw in 2011 with no substantial differences and still slated as a PS3 exclusive I will honestly be very surprised.
#80N0b0dePosted 4/19/2013 1:59:35 PM
Airship
World Map
awesome Monsters
super Convoluted Story
cutting Edge Graphics
Rediculous Powers Of Destruction

Who Cares What It Is Called?
---
I am nobody, come from the muck-so that my hands would be dirty, like yours...i have destroyed myself, to be like you.