How many people here bought their PS3 largely on the promise of Versus XIII?

#21IshramTheWrathPosted 4/21/2013 12:02:23 AM
If I buy one, and that's a big if, It'll definitely be after the price drops alot, and probably used. The games in question have to be able to stand on their own, no patches, no dlc, and NO DRM. Seems unlikely.
---
Toriyama Motomu is the Uwe Boll of video games.
#22theofficefan99Posted 4/21/2013 12:52:50 AM
IshramTheWrath posted...
If I buy one, and that's a big if, It'll definitely be after the price drops alot, and probably used. The games in question have to be able to stand on their own, no patches, no dlc, and NO DRM. Seems unlikely.

Oh, come on. You remind me of the people who say that say they used to be huge fans of Final Fantasy but "after Final Fantasy ____ I will never buy another FF again." If you see a FF that looks good to you, you'll buy it, I'm sure. And as for you, if you see enough great games for the system, you'll buy it, I'm sure.

I'm pretty sure you can expect DLC from every company, even Square Enix, Atlus, Level-5, tri-Ace, NIS, etc. etc. etc.

I hope you don't avoid companies that only use DLC for dumb things like costumes and weapons and whatnot?

Stuff like DLC doesn't bother me as long as the DLC for the game is just a bunch of insignificant stuff.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#23PillsberyDoeManPosted 4/21/2013 1:16:33 AM
theofficefan99 posted...
Oh, come on. You remind me of the people who say that say they used to be huge fans of Final Fantasy but "after Final Fantasy ____ I will never buy another FF again." If you see a FF that looks good to you, you'll buy it, I'm sure.

i've reached my limit with se. the last game i purchased from them was ff13 (i rented 13-2 and will do the same with LR). i've already promised myself sometime last year (around e3 or tgs, when we didn't get any info) that i wouldn't buy another se game from them until v13 or kh3 came out AND IF those games "SOMEHOW" disappoint like ff13, then i will not buy another "new" game from them ever again.

i don't think i have the will power to never play another ff again, but by buying the game used, i can feel good about myself not giving my money to se. at least not directly, anyway. selfish i know, but this is what i've personally been driven to. i don't care about preorder incentives, free dlc and all that crap. i have no problem getting the game(s) 6 months down the line at half the price in the used bin.
---
impatiently waiting on versus xiii...
EDIT: not so much anymore... (4/28/11)
#24NewGuy1887Posted 4/21/2013 6:44:06 AM
PillsberyDoeMan posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
Oh, come on. You remind me of the people who say that say they used to be huge fans of Final Fantasy but "after Final Fantasy ____ I will never buy another FF again." If you see a FF that looks good to you, you'll buy it, I'm sure.

i've reached my limit with se. the last game i purchased from them was ff13 (i rented 13-2 and will do the same with LR). i've already promised myself sometime last year (around e3 or tgs, when we didn't get any info) that i wouldn't buy another se game from them until v13 or kh3 came out AND IF those games "SOMEHOW" disappoint like ff13, then i will not buy another "new" game from them ever again.

i don't think i have the will power to never play another ff again, but by buying the game used, i can feel good about myself not giving my money to se. at least not directly, anyway. selfish i know, but this is what i've personally been driven to. i don't care about preorder incentives, free dlc and all that crap. i have no problem getting the game(s) 6 months down the line at half the price in the used bin.

so you play them, that must mean you enjoy them, you play them and go out of your way to make sure the people who made them for you to enjoy are not paid for your experience, instead you would rather support a retail company that steals huge profits from developer and publisher from reselling their product. you describe yourself as selfish, but i would say you are just very childish for thinking this is a good way to deal with how you didn't like the XIII games.

every gamer waits for a price drop, or buys games they like to play when they are used because they attach emotions to the developer or publisher, the days where people simply enjoyed a game, did not act like a whiny ***** about it and were happy to pay a good price for it and support the people who gave them that experience are now gone. everyone is so petty and cheap these days, it is not because people are more poor because that is not the case for much of the world, it is because people want more, they are greedier and want more games for less money and they are far more petty with who they give their money to also. it is everything wrong with the industry and you cannot blame any company for DLC when they must use it to make profits because of people like this.

this is in general and not aimed at you, i just think the attitude is counter-productive and shallow today. i think if you enjoy a game you should support the people who made it and not a greedy company that steps in to take their profits. if you enjoy a game but dislike the company for some reason (usually because a very small number of people outside the creative staff make decisions to have DLC or go multiplatform, whatever the case may be) well put it this way, if you say you're against the fur trade but you then by a fur coat used to not support the original company, you will look like a fool wearing a fur coat and saying you don't support the people who make them.
---
Polish, 22, i lift weights, i shoot guns, i play Final Fantasy
#25Pier_from_ItalyPosted 4/21/2013 8:01:02 AM
sorry, newguy1887, but I felt you don't put the pie in the greed equation.

the pie is that in the end, the price and profit are the end result of a balance between costs, in this case, the dev costs, the margin for the resellers and... the royalties.

the real issue is that the successful market model introduced by N in the third gen is now reaching its limit because of the rising dev costs (and SE is one the company most hit by rise of dev costs...) whose shrink the profits in the crucial segment of actual production. When S introduced the cheap optical support when the prices hit the ceiling on actual support manufacturing (the carts) this market model gets a real boost, giving three great console generations; now another ceiling is reached, and a more serious one: the actual content development.

S (and other console producer and royalty gainer)'s response to the issue is zeroing the support manufacturing, putting the pie only between console/royalties and development (whose is the actual *industry* in gaming) and this is obviously leading to a massive mess, because putting out of market the resellers is a sure-fire way of annoy people *inside* and outside the industry. and this don't solve the piracy issue, whose isn't only greed but also ideals and even ideology (S itself learn it in the most hard way, everyone must admit) and, the annoyed people inside the industry are the same whose *sells* consoles, 'nuff said, and the unpleasant picture is complete.

The profits ought to ends on the pocket of whose actually deserve it; and putting piracy in "customer's greed" terms is wrong in my perspective; the undeserving pockets are the royalties, and retailers, online or physical, are a crucial element in commerce, at least until digital transfer of hardware (that is, teletrasport) became accessible to all buyers. whose is in itself another major can of worms (malware became "teletrasporting bombs", for example) I always buys games whose deserve it, and I'm annoyed on DRM, forcing digital delivery & actual owning of hardware; developers are annoyed on solutions aimed mainly toward keeping parasite royalties than actual production, and reselles are seriously annoyed about their actual works and income. and in the meantime, the open-source people are watching and preparing the final assault to the weakened (from inside...) last redoubt of proprietary closed-source software (whose is much more content than software proper, that is, binary code)

This eighth generation promise to be *really* interesting...

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.
#26theofficefan99Posted 4/21/2013 9:46:36 AM
PillsberyDoeMan posted...
theofficefan99 posted...

Just from this post, I can tell that if a game looks really good to you and it gets outstanding reviews, you will buy it. You're just frustrated with SE now. I am, too. I'll be buying LR down the line, but used so SE doesn't get money from me. However, I'll be buying XIV: ARR and Versus XIII new. Why? Because those games look phenomenal, and I can't wait to play them. And I'm sure you're the same. The moment you see something from SE that looks incredible to you, you'll buy it, and not 6 months down the line in the bargain bin.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#27ExtremeLightPosted 4/21/2013 4:44:47 PM
I don't get how people bought a PS3 mainly for Versus? Surely you must had wanted FF13 and several other games as well not just Versus. As for me I acknowledged Versus existence in 2006 but I got my PS3 as a gift in 2007 and had no idea what games to get for it because nothing good was out beside World at War (the 3rd best CoD imo)
---
Coming 2014 calling it I'll be reverend on the internet by my predictions. Haters can doubt all they want but they can't deny that Versus' arrival is imminent.
#28BlueDragmirePosted 4/21/2013 5:09:35 PM
I bought my PS3 mainly for Arkham City, but that's me.
---
The official monarch of every single board.
http://bluehighwind.blogspot.com/
#29thejman270Posted 4/21/2013 10:15:00 PM
- It's funny because i haven't bought a PS3 at all, and this game not being released won't convince me to get one anytime soon.
#30shadowSEXilPosted 4/21/2013 10:30:18 PM
ExtremeLight posted...
Surely you must had wanted FF13

Ahahahahaha!!!

ExtremeLight posted...
and several other games as well

As you answer your own question...statement?

ExtremeLight posted...
had no idea what games to get for it because nothing good was out

---
I eat cereal for breakfast with 1% milk.