i beat Skyrim recently.

#1PillsberyDoeManPosted 4/23/2013 2:36:23 AM
this passed friday, as a matter of fact. when i first started that game on march 5th, one of my goals was to compare it with what we've seen so far in v13. to see if i prefer how skyrim handled its' world, characters, combat system, etc etc, to what we've seen so far in v13 and what's to be expected of it. however, at the end of my journey, i didn't have the motivation to create this topic because i became sick of skyrim. weighing in at 238 hours, it's by FAR the biggest and longest game i've ever played.
what ended up nudging me into creating this topic was a post by cyber in another thread.

Cyber_Boy94 posted...
I want to see if they do the open world right.
I didn't really like Skyrim of Fallout because they were so big, but so empty. I guess Fallout is supposed to be like that, but Skyrim had no excuse and just bored me for it.
I want to see if Versus has an open world that is enjoyable to look through, and enjoyable to look through.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-versus-xiii/66025359

to start off, i couldn't disagree more with this. skyrim has the most believable world i've ever explored in any game. the amount of detail and variety in the environment that's left for the player to discover is astonishing compared to other games. it's a big part of why i kept playing to its' end and exploring every inch of the map. other games of this magnitude rely on dungeon crawler-like maps. lots of repetition and boring surroundings and while i do agree that fallout 3 is guilty of this, skyrim does a MUCH better job at making its' world believable.
that being said, would i want v13 to have a world like this? well, certainly not as big. as enticing as it was to explore, i was overwhelmed one too many times. unless they could make every location important to the story without excessive filler, then no. i'm sorry, but skyrim made me realize something. if a game is TOO large, it's harder to keep on track with the story and possibly keep the player involved with the game. i'm stubborn, so i would've beaten skyrim regardless of the matter, but it wasn't easy i tell ya. there were plenty lull moments in the story and side quests. if it hadn't been for the rpg aspect of the game and it's world, i might've given up. might've...
i think ff12 had a nice sized world. wouldn't mind something a little bigger, but what v13 could learn from skyrim is the detail for each environment. you can't walk for 5 minutes in one direction without bumping into something new to explore in skyrim. that's one of the reasons as to why it was so fun to make discoveries.

another thing i'd like v13 to include are longer and more interesting side quests. jrpg's tend to rely solely on monster hunts and quick forgettable missions for extra exp. they don't have to rid them, but it would be nice to see some side quests as awesome as say, the dark brotherhood questline. actually, v13 could learn from several western games when it comes to side quests. take arham city for example. there weren't a lot of side quests, but each one was unique and had it's own storyline that spanned across the games' entirety. simple, yet brilliant.

yea, i think those are the two main aspects of skyrim that stood out for me.
this isn't about jrpg's being their own thing and wrpg's being their own thing. i know v13 wants to redefine ff and probably jrpg's in general, but it'd be nice to see it being influenced by the better side of western games. player control during in-game cutscenes and more action is a nice start, but it doesn't have to stop there. this game has been with me since 06' and i want nothing but the best for it.
---
impatiently waiting on versus xiii...
EDIT: not so much anymore... (4/28/11)
#2grand_kaizerPosted 4/23/2013 3:44:52 AM
Just singling out one specific point, but I personally think Skyrim's massively populated world felt like it worked against itself to me. It seems like they just crammed as much as they could in and it got annoying seeing every single cave infested with bandits, tree-people and whatever else. I know there's pressure to fill the world, but at the same time it's amazing what you can achieve with some creative desolation.
---
"I am the Truest Repairman!"
#3Sir_Tom_JonesPosted 4/23/2013 4:14:00 AM
Bethesda might have glitched games but i highly doubt Versus will have the same amount content. SE is incompetent like that.

With Versus, i expect LOADS of content to compromise. And we keep hearing excuses.

'please wait a little longer'
'Wait for Noctis'
'HD townz are hard to make'

SE's drunk.
---
Its not unusual for Noctis to do ballet. http://i.imgur.com/xyWTX0e.gif
#4StarBladeEdgePosted 4/23/2013 4:39:36 AM
this is pathetic sorry. comparing ff games with bethesda games is stupid.ff will never have a massive , real world like besthesda games have.end of story.games like elder scrolls or fallout are the best in this department. this comes with glitches and bugs yes but this is the price for the great atmosphere.

best japanese can do in this direction is dragons dogma which is a great game on it's own but you can't compare it to bethesda games too.

so it comes down to this :

massive , realistic , open world = bethesda games

grinding , fantasy , story = jrpgs like ff

dum de dum dum dum di dum

i don't get this '' world is empty ' thing too. you people probably had very serious bugs in your bethesda games.... i mean....umm....fallout plays after an atomic holocaust .... the a bomb is supposed to make places empty lol and skyrim was full of beautuful mountains and trees , and little deers and foxes and rabbids and nice wolves , little random events ( these things were in fallout too by the way except the happy little animal friends ).

so let's all be friends
---
ice cream in my ears in my ears is ice scream in your ears is other things in my ears is ice stream
#5StarBladeEdgePosted 4/23/2013 4:41:48 AM
but but but don't get me wrong : if square want to try that in a next ff i am happy to test it out.
---
ice cream in my ears in my ears is ice scream in your ears is other things in my ears is ice stream
#6nfobiaPosted 4/23/2013 4:43:41 AM
Good post TC.

If people really think Versus will have open world and yet complain Skyrim is empty, their expectations are totally unreal. Open world games has some flaws too so I really hope SE isn't going to jump into that trend only because its most profitable single player game form in the market.

Its been awhile since XII came out but if you compare it to Skyrim for example, XII really felt empty (yet I dont even consider it open world because its too restricted and story driven). Huge desert areas with monsters and random useless treasure chests and only one optional dungeon to go early on. Endgame was much better though.

Square-Enix is good developer but I dont think they have what it takes to create open world. If that will be main focus for Versus and other future games, you can say good bye to any interesting story or gameplay challenge. Freedom and optional stuff is nice but it doesn't mean it has to be open world.
#7Cyber_Boy94Posted 4/23/2013 4:59:35 AM
Doeman, I should explain myself. Before I played Skyrim, I heard from everyone that it was "The best game ever" or "10/10, I don't need to play anything else, this game is perfect"

So I went in expecting a pretty damn good game... I ended up playing a game with not that great combat, and A really large world, which yes is pretty damn impressive, but left me a bit disappointed, since it was so big, but a lot of the time, there was nothing there.
---
PSN=Cyber_Boy94
Support Project Crystallis http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/project-crystallis.html
#8ZeroCalsPosted 4/23/2013 5:06:30 AM
grand_kaizer posted...
Just singling out one specific point, but I personally think Skyrim's massively populated world felt like it worked against itself to me. It seems like they just crammed as much as they could in and it got annoying seeing every single cave infested with bandits, tree-people and whatever else. I know there's pressure to fill the world, but at the same time it's amazing what you can achieve with some creative desolation.

I don't really have anything to add, but I wanted to point out that Shadow of the Colossus is a prime example of what you're talking about. Great game too.
---
Official Wisest Person on the Final Fantasy Versus XIII Board
#9Kouuta-KunPosted 4/23/2013 5:51:08 AM
Big, and the same thing over.
---
"...Once again, this isn't alcohol. Are you a pack of imbeciles?"
#10VanilleHopenPosted 4/23/2013 7:20:44 AM
Kouuta-Kun posted...
Big, and the same thing over.

exactly.. this is where skyrim fall's flat.. Who cares if the world is realistic.. I already have a realistic world, I live in it..

The fact is skyrim bored me to DEATH... I couldn't get passed the first couple of sidequests.. The npcs are boring the world is boring the caves are the same thing over and over with the same fricking stupid animal puzzles...

I never felt like I was progressing or advancing in the story... skyrim is a terrible game that strived for quantity (soooo many things you can do) over quality (great motivation and reasons to do them).. and sadly a lot of people bit...
---
Hope misses Vanille's smile :(.