Will cross-gen release negatively affect the game's development?

#1FFT-FanPosted 4/23/2013 10:27:18 PM
I'm thankful they are going to make it for ps4 however I'm concerned that if the game is made for both PS3 and PS4, that as they are making 2 separate games and they might not be able to add as much to the game as a result of having to account for the PS3's limitations (lack of ram, cell processor, etc.). It might be unfortunate if the PS4 version is like a PS3 port with better graphics but doesn't fully use the full 8gb ram . I'm hoping the rumor that Sony's helping SE with development turns out to be true so they are better able to have the game working great on both consoles while also being able to take full advantage of the PS4. I think it'd really benefit both SE and Sony. I'm not very familiar with cross-gen games, just wondering about this.
#2theofficefan99Posted 4/23/2013 10:28:13 PM
Yes. I sincerely believe that cross-gen development will not be a good idea whatsoever.

Stick to the PS3 or PS4. Not both.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#3PillsberyDoeManPosted 4/23/2013 10:31:08 PM
FFT-Fan posted...
I'm thankful they are going to make it for ps4

post the link confirming this.
---
impatiently waiting on versus xiii...
EDIT: not so much anymore... (4/28/11)
#4Cyber_Boy94Posted 4/23/2013 10:31:41 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
Yes. I sincerely believe that cross-gen development will not be a good idea whatsoever.

From what I heard, Twilight Princess worked out just fine, and that was a cross gen game.
---
PSN=Cyber_Boy94
Support Project Crystallis http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/project-crystallis.html
#5FFT-Fan(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2013 10:33:13 PM
Just really hoping for a return to SE's golden age with next-gen technology. After their terrible financial year($150 million US lost) and lost trust with fans I don't think they can survive if this game flops.
#6theofficefan99Posted 4/23/2013 10:35:08 PM
Cyber_Boy94 posted...
theofficefan99 posted...

From what I heard, Twilight Princess worked out just fine, and that was a cross gen game.

You're forgetting that the Wii and the Gamecube had pretty much no difference in graphical quality, plus the Zelda series isn't as popular as Final Fantasy and the games have much, much, much smaller budgets.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#7FFT-Fan(Topic Creator)Posted 4/23/2013 10:39:50 PM
Exentryk posted...
FFDream have confirmed the Gameblog.fr rumor that the game is for PS3 and PS4 (Sony exclusive) via their own sources and they seem pretty confident. They also mention something about "a few days before E3", but the article is in French, and I dont want to jump to conclusions with Google translate.

And fyi, FFDream have recently completed an exclusive interview with Kitase and Toriyama regarding LR and FFXHD.

Anyway, here is the article:

http://www.ffdream.com/news-14749.html

I'm unable to provide official confirmation. I think I should change the topic title if it's possible, to "Could a cross-gen release negatively affect the game's development?" so it does not imply official confirmation? Is it possible to change the topic title and how do we do it?
#8Cyber_Boy94Posted 4/23/2013 10:41:40 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
Cyber_Boy94 posted...
theofficefan99 posted...

You're forgetting that the Wii and the Gamecube had pretty much no difference in graphical quality, plus the Zelda series isn't as popular as Final Fantasy and the games have much, much, much smaller budgets.

Ok... How about Watch Dogs? That's going to be a cross gen game.
---
PSN=Cyber_Boy94
Support Project Crystallis http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/project-crystallis.html
#9theofficefan99Posted 4/23/2013 10:47:05 PM
Cyber_Boy94 posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
Cyber_Boy94 posted...
theofficefan99 posted...

The game isn't out yet so I don't know. It might do well, it might not.

And Versus XIII is supposed to be a big, huge game. With cross-gen, I don't think the hype will be as big due to a bunch of potential preconceived notions, no matter what the differences between the versions are. I think if Sony is truly funding, and the game isn't releasing this year or early-on in 2014, then an exclusive PS4 release is in SE's and Sony's best interest.
---
#10Cyber_Boy94Posted 4/23/2013 10:55:58 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
Cyber_Boy94 posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
Cyber_Boy94 posted...
theofficefan99 posted...

The game isn't out yet so I don't know. It might do well, it might not.

And Versus XIII is supposed to be a big, huge game. With cross-gen, I don't think the hype will be as big due to a bunch of potential preconceived notions, no matter what the differences between the versions are. I think if Sony is truly funding, and the game isn't releasing this year or early-on in 2014, then an exclusive PS4 release is in SE's and Sony's best interest.

I'm not trying to argue if cross gen is a good or bad idea, personally I couldn't care less. I just wanted to point out some games that are cross gen, and haven't suffered from it (although Watch Dogs we don't know about yet, but it seems like it's going to do fine).
---
PSN=Cyber_Boy94