Will cross-gen release negatively affect the game's development?

#11theofficefan99Posted 4/23/2013 10:21:49 PM
I'm not trying to argue if cross gen is a good or bad idea, personally I couldn't care less. I just wanted to point out some games that are cross gen, and haven't suffered from it (although Watch Dogs we don't know about yet, but it seems like it's going to do fine).

The thing is that you only had one real example, and that wasn't a great one for reasons I have already stated. GC and Wii pretty much have no graphical differences, the Zelda fanbase is much smaller, and the games have much smaller budgets. TP's case was very different to this one and far less risky, at that.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#12Cyber_Boy94Posted 4/23/2013 10:28:45 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
I'm not trying to argue if cross gen is a good or bad idea, personally I couldn't care less. I just wanted to point out some games that are cross gen, and haven't suffered from it (although Watch Dogs we don't know about yet, but it seems like it's going to do fine).

The thing is that you only had one real example, and that wasn't a great one for reasons I have already stated. GC and Wii pretty much have no graphical differences, the Zelda fanbase is much smaller, and the games have much smaller budgets. TP's case was very different to this one and far less risky, at that.

Yes, the GC and Wii are pretty much Identical, but who's to say that the PS3 and PS4 versions of Versus won't be near identical games?

The Zelda fanbase is pretty big, it's been around for close to 30 years now, and with the growing gaming audience, Zelda has only gotten bigger, as has other franchises.

Nintendo is also a large company they could afford the risk of making a title cross gen, and they even enhanced the game slightly for the Wii version.

The GC version only runs the game at 4:3, while the Wii version runs at 16:9, the whole game is mirrored for the Wii version, and lets you equip more sub items.

Yeah these are really minor things, but who's to say the Versus won't have minor changes or little extras just cause of cross gen?

And with my Watch Dogs argument. That's a high budget game. That's being made for Multiple consoles, across 2 gens. Sure we don't know a lot about it, but we do know those details. The only differences will probably be graphical differences, which is probably the same for Versus. I doubt making a game cross gen is as expensive as you may think it is, especially is Sony decided to help fund the game.
---
PSN=Cyber_Boy94
Support Project Crystallis http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/project-crystallis.html
#13theofficefan99Posted 4/23/2013 10:40:36 PM
Cyber_Boy94 posted...
theofficefan99 posted...

Yes, the GC and Wii are pretty much Identical, but who's to say that the PS3 and PS4 versions of Versus won't be near identical games?

The Zelda fanbase is pretty big, it's been around for close to 30 years now, and with the growing gaming audience, Zelda has only gotten bigger, as has other franchises.

Nintendo is also a large company they could afford the risk of making a title cross gen, and they even enhanced the game slightly for the Wii version.

The GC version only runs the game at 4:3, while the Wii version runs at 16:9, the whole game is mirrored for the Wii version, and lets you equip more sub items.

Yeah these are really minor things, but who's to say the Versus won't have minor changes or little extras just cause of cross gen?

And with my Watch Dogs argument. That's a high budget game. That's being made for Multiple consoles, across 2 gens. Sure we don't know a lot about it, but we do know those details. The only differences will probably be graphical differences, which is probably the same for Versus. I doubt making a game cross gen is as expensive as you may think it is, especially is Sony decided to help fund the game.

Unlike the Wii and GC, there is a difference between the PS3's and PS4's power.

So an identical version wouldn't be good, either. The PS3 version will be seen as the "lame" version and the PS4 version will be seen as a "watered-down current-gen game/lame port of a last-gen game."

Yes, but it's not as big as Final Fantasy's fanbase, and the games have much smaller budgets.

Yes because the Wii and GC had virtually no difference in power and the Zelda games and their games in general have much smaller budgets.

The progressive scan is barely a difference. They're still practically identical for systems that are practically identical in terms of power. The PS3 and PS4 are not practically identical in terms of power. The PS4 is far more powerful.

Because the PS4 is far more powerful and it's a lose/lose situation no matter how you put it.

I never said it'll be expensive. I just think that it won't be worth it. Watch Dogs is indeed high budget, but we don't know how well it'll sell, or how people will react to the game, and it's a new IP that isn't in the same situation as Versus XIII.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#14ZendaikPosted 4/23/2013 11:03:50 PM
Cross gen will mean that:

1. The PS3 version is inferior.

2. The PS4 version is just going to be a suped-up PS3 version, not a real "next gen" game.

So I agree with office in that I'd rather have the game optimized for the PS3 only as intended, or just scrap that version and have the game PS4 exclusive so it's a true next gen game. No in between.

I don't know how well a massive JRPG will work as cross gen with platforms with completely different architectures. Usually these big JRPGs are optimized with one console in mind.
---
Monster Hunter Tri, Kid Icarus: Uprising IDs: Kirolos
#15matt091282Posted 4/23/2013 11:07:26 PM
Zendaik posted...

2. The PS4 version is just going to be a suped-up PS3 version, not a real "next gen" game.

So I agree with office in that I'd rather have the game optimized for the PS3 only as intended, or just scrap that version and have the game PS4 exclusive so it's a true next gen game. No in between.

I don't know how well a massive JRPG will work as cross gen with platforms with completely different architectures. Usually these big JRPGs are optimized with one console in mind.

In your opinion, what do you think will happen with Versus console-wise?
#16ZendaikPosted 4/23/2013 11:34:24 PM
matt091282 posted...
Zendaik posted...

In your opinion, what do you think will happen with Versus console-wise?

I'm not entirely sure. I don't buy into these next-gen rumors too much, but I still very much believe that it could be a PS4 game. But will it?

Of the rumor people, Aryllies is the one that comes off as the most believable IMO and I think I trust him the most. I don't know if I'm coming off as naive by doing that but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for now. So if what he says is true, the game is likely still a PS3 exclusive.

Leaving Aryllies aside, they have said in the past that the game is being developed specifically for the PS3, so moving to the PS4 seems a bit off to me. It's starting to become late for this game, but honestly even if it releases in 2014 for the PS3 that's OK. Not everyone will move to next-gen right away; that never happens. There will be other games for PS3 besides Versus in 2014 (like a new Tales game, Persona 5, Dark Souls 2, and maybe MGS5 unless that releases late 2013) too.

Also, here's what Naoki Yoshida (FF XIV director) said about FF XIV just in February:

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2013/02/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn-interview-with-producerdirector-naoki-yoshida/

"Nova Crystallis: Has there been any plans to develop a version of the game for Sonyís newly announced next generation platform, PlayStation 4?

Yoshida: First of all, weíre going to keep our promises made in the past and are really focused on the PS3 version. Itís something we announced over three years ago, so our focus is definitely on that for now.

We do have the high spec PC version weíre developing, so itís not going to be a problem for us Ė itís quite easy for us to create a version for the next generation. It canít be lower than the PS3ís specs; itíll only be higher and much easier for us to make something for that kind of platform. Of course, we want to have as many players as possible to enjoy this game; we will definitely want to bring the game out to as many platforms as possible. But first we will keep our promise and release it on PS3."

I think you can switch FF XIV out with Versus in this statement. Though since FF XIV is an MMO, they don't have an incentive to keep it exclusive like FF XIV (plus they're not developing a high spec PC version of Versus like they are for FF XIV).

In conclusion, I think I lean more towards it being a PS3 game still, but PS4 is definitely possible; I think it'd be foolish to discount it.

Also, I just want to note that, if the next-gen rumors are fake, it just means that the people that have made these rumors are just playing on people's beliefs by making up "believable" rumors. Stuff like the game is moved to next-gen being propagated because the game is taking too long to release on the PS3, so it'd be "believable" if it moved to the PS4. Or Sony co-developing just because it's "believable" that Sony would be helping them if SE were having trouble (though I don't think Sony has actually helped SE with a FF game's development before) and that Sony wants a big game close to the PS4's launch.
---
#17ZendaikPosted 4/23/2013 11:38:02 PM
Also I'm almost 100% sure that the cross gen rumor is bull****. SE doesn't really do that type of thing (DQ X being an exception since it's an MMO). Big JRPGs are never cross gen, and many remain exclusive. I'll believe it when I see it.

And I would find it funny and a bit weird if MGS5 (another game series that's big and notable on PlayStation, ie. you think of PlayStation you think of MGS, just like FF, though it's coming to the 360 now too) was multiplat and/or cross gen but Versus moved on to PS4 entirely.
---
#18matt091282Posted 4/23/2013 11:42:24 PM
I've said many times that I think Square now wants Versus to be kind of a "swan-song" title for the PS3. Also, assuming this still is under the FNC with the Lightning games, I would assume they'd want to keep all of those games on the PS3 so that console kind of has its own FF games. Plus, assuming the game is great, more people will buy PS3s and it will be another reason for people to hang on to their system.
#19Cyber_Boy94Posted 4/24/2013 4:39:29 AM
Zendaik posted...

Ok I want to go on a limb and say, early next-gen games barely feel "next gen"

let's look at it this way. Let's put your argument against Assassins Creed IV

1) The PS3 version is inferior.
How so? Graphically yeah, and it may not have as much side content, but it's close to being the same game.

2) The PS4 version is just going to be a suped-up PS3 verion
And that's how most generations start, you don't really get a big increase in quality until about 2-3 years into a consoles life, before that, it just feels like a slight improvement over the last generation.

Again, I don't care if it's cross gen or not, I just feel like pointing out, it's not as bad as people may think it is.
---
PSN=Cyber_Boy94
Support Project Crystallis http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/project-crystallis.html
#20PostDisasterPosted 4/24/2013 5:19:21 AM
You guys, this is awful news. I think aside from being straight up scrapped this could be the worst thing to happen to this game.

Stretching a game across platforms (any platforms, PS3-Xbox or Ps3-ps4) stretches the games potential.

It won't be a good PS4 game...let's hope it'll be a good PS3 one