Will cross-gen release negatively affect the game's development?

#21RasukouPosted 4/24/2013 8:13:36 AM
PostDisaster posted...
You guys, this is awful news. I think aside from being straight up scrapped this could be the worst thing to happen to this game.

Stretching a game across platforms (any platforms, PS3-Xbox or Ps3-ps4) stretches the games potential.

It won't be a good PS4 game...let's hope it'll be a good PS3 one

It's not news until SQEX "confirms" it. Only a rumor at this point.
Hindsight bias in the workings right now?
#22theofficefan99Posted 4/24/2013 9:04:15 AM
Rasukou posted...
PostDisaster posted...
You guys, this is awful news. I think aside from being straight up scrapped this could be the worst thing to happen to this game.

Stretching a game across platforms (any platforms, PS3-Xbox or Ps3-ps4) stretches the games potential.

How is that hindsight bias?
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#23ZendaikPosted 4/24/2013 9:27:54 AM
Cyber_Boy94 posted...
Zendaik posted...
Cross gen will mean that:

1. The PS3 version is inferior.

2. The PS4 version is just going to be a suped-up PS3 version, not a real "next gen" game.

So I agree with office in that I'd rather have the game optimized for the PS3 only as intended, or just scrap that version and have the game PS4 exclusive so it's a true next gen game. No in between.

I don't know how well a massive JRPG will work as cross gen with platforms with completely different architectures. Usually these big JRPGs are optimized with one console in mind.

Ok I want to go on a limb and say, early next-gen games barely feel "next gen"

let's look at it this way. Let's put your argument against Assassins Creed IV

1) The PS3 version is inferior.
How so? Graphically yeah, and it may not have as much side content, but it's close to being the same game.

2) The PS4 version is just going to be a suped-up PS3 verion
And that's how most generations start, you don't really get a big increase in quality until about 2-3 years into a consoles life, before that, it just feels like a slight improvement over the last generation.

Again, I don't care if it's cross gen or not, I just feel like pointing out, it's not as bad as people may think it is.

AC4 is still being made with current gen consoles in mind though. Assuming Versus has moved to PS4 a while ago, it should be more than slight improvement now that they don't have to worry about the limitations of the PS3 (biggest issue could be RAM for the open world, though not saying that they can't achieve a vast world on the PS3 or anything). A bigger improvement than AC4 in any case.

Devs get used to HW the most after 2-3 years but a next gen game that has started a while ago is going to fare better technically than a primarily cross gen gen.
---
Monster Hunter Tri, Kid Icarus: Uprising IDs: Kirolos
#24Darth_HavokPosted 4/24/2013 9:41:13 AM
I don't really get the issue. If it comes out being at full-power for both consoles, why is that an issue? The PS3 is the "lamer" of the 2 - even though it's probably going to be using PS3 specs at peak or close to it? Fine. Then buy a PS4. No reason to water down the PS4 version. A game like that, the only noticeable differences would be graphics IMO. So I say they've got both fanbases covered this way. Can't/won't afford PS4? Fine. But the game on PS3. Sure it won't be as good as the PS4 game, but it'll still be as good as the PS3 gets.

I don't see how it could hurt them to have both markets covered.
---
The Official Maverick Hunter Zero of the MvC3 board!
PSN: Darth-Griever
#25RasukouPosted 4/24/2013 10:03:51 AM
theofficefan99 posted...
Rasukou posted...
PostDisaster posted...

"In the workings." I was referring to the whole rumor situation happening right now. If Versus turns out to be on PS4, I guarantee that at least one person on this board will go, "I saw it coming." And that person probably will be me because at this point I discern that these rumors are false.
#26Lelouch71Posted 4/24/2013 10:31:45 AM
Darth_Havok posted...
I don't really get the issue. If it comes out being at full-power for both consoles, why is that an issue? The PS3 is the "lamer" of the 2 - even though it's probably going to be using PS3 specs at peak or close to it? Fine. Then buy a PS4. No reason to water down the PS4 version. A game like that, the only noticeable differences would be graphics IMO. So I say they've got both fanbases covered this way. Can't/won't afford PS4? Fine. But the game on PS3. Sure it won't be as good as the PS4 game, but it'll still be as good as the PS3 gets.

I don't see how it could hurt them to have both markets covered.

It wouldn't hurt them. All they have to do is release the PS3 version first. Then upscale the PS4 version with some extras and release it later. It won't sale as much as PS3 version but they will at least get some money from it.

What would hurt them is releasing it exclusively for the PS4. They already put in a lot of money into the game. Not many people are going to rush out to get a PS4 outside of early adopters and tech lovers. HD games cost a lot and they need to sell a certain amount to make a profit.
---
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"
#27theofficefan99Posted 4/24/2013 10:46:39 AM
Rasukou posted...
theofficefan99 posted...
Rasukou posted...
PostDisaster posted...

"In the workings." I was referring to the whole rumor situation happening right now. If Versus turns out to be on PS4, I guarantee that at least one person on this board will go, "I saw it coming." And that person probably will be me because at this point I discern that these rumors are false.

Oh, that clears it up. lol
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#28Switchfoot2008Posted 4/24/2013 4:35:47 PM
FFT-Fan posted...
I'm thankful they are going to make it for ps4 however I'm concerned that if the game is made for both PS3 and PS4, that as they are making 2 separate games and they might not be able to add as much to the game as a result of having to account for the PS3's limitations (lack of ram, cell processor, etc.). It might be unfortunate if the PS4 version is like a PS3 port with better graphics but doesn't fully use the full 8gb ram . I'm hoping the rumor that Sony's helping SE with development turns out to be true so they are better able to have the game working great on both consoles while also being able to take full advantage of the PS4. I think it'd really benefit both SE and Sony. I'm not very familiar with cross-gen games, just wondering about this.

Seriously....how many times do I have to mention that PS4 is using STREAMING to play PS3 games. For crying out loud. There is no need for them to change the game to put it on PS4. They just have to put it into streaming format.
#29ExtremeLightPosted 4/24/2013 4:39:00 PM
FFT-Fan posted...
Just really hoping for a return to SE's golden age with next-gen technology. After their terrible financial year($150 million US lost) and lost trust with fans I don't think they can survive if this game flops.

The golden age (FF6-10) is gone and done. Move on.

Anyway they won't be making two separate games. It will most likely be the same games and maybe like ps3 have this or ps4 have this.
---
Coming 2014 calling it I'll be reverend on the internet by my predictions. Haters can doubt all they want but they can't deny that Versus' arrival is imminent.
#30ExtremeLightPosted 4/24/2013 4:42:18 PM
PostDisaster posted...

Lol if is a good ps3 game than it will also be a good ps4 game because they are the SAME game... Also people will be playing the ps4 version more since its nearly time for ps3 to "sign out".
---
Coming 2014 calling it I'll be reverend on the internet by my predictions. Haters can doubt all they want but they can't deny that Versus' arrival is imminent.