Anyone else think the story sounds really interesting?

#21YukihirouPosted 5/5/2013 6:00:52 AM
When they mention it will be the darkest entry, I hope it will be something like Soul Sacrifice. I mean, I am creep-ed out beyond belief but I can not stop playing.
#22RasukouPosted 5/5/2013 8:48:39 AM
theofficefan99 posted...
Eh. I really don't like that expression.

Video games, in my opinion, are becoming an art form. I personally take video games just as seriously as books and movies. They're able to move and enthrall me. And, as humans, we always seek to escape the troubles of our daily lives, so entertainment is crucial. So I really don't think there's nothing wrong with getting hyped over "just a video game."

I appreciate your response. Please allow me to explain my comment.

First, I wholeheartedly agree with you, officefan, that video games make up a new "art form" that can, when done well, show us wonders about the human condition. I find the game medium to be on par with "books and movies" also. Of course, each medium has its own less-than-stellar pieces--it's inevitable--but a medium should not be discounted for the number of bad projects churned out (otherwise the written story would probably be the worst medium out there...). Anyways, that's a discussion for another time.

When I write that Versus is "just a video game," I did not mean that, because video games are, to me, an inferior form of entertainment, thus Versus should not be given proper attention.

However, what I wanted to convey in my brief (but unfortunately ambiguous) statement is this: at the end of the day, a video game is a video game, just as a novel is a novel and a film is a film. Yes, we all wish to "escape the troubles of our daily lives" with some form of "entertainment." I did not say I was against feeling hyped about a video game, but I did want to caution against devoting so much time and attention to a single game that the hype becomes unhealthy and detracts from daily life. Especially for a game like Versus in which we have not heard of any developments for a while. This statement goes for any form of "entertainment." I easily could also have said, "It's just a film. Remember that."

I apologize for failing to consider the initial implication of my words. Now, of course, feel free to disagree with me. If making Versus your ultimate desire at this moment is what you want, then so be it. I use "you" in the general sense, and it's not directed at you, officefan, or anyone else who has posted in this topic.
#23Lelouch71Posted 5/5/2013 11:45:14 AM
As I keep on saying, if you are a fan of Nomura's work in KH or Nojima's work in FFVII, VIII, X, and yes X-2 then you have nothing to worry about. If you hate Nomura and Nojima then you are screwed unless they both make this their best story out of all the games they have between them.
---
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"
#24theofficefan99(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2013 2:18:52 PM
Rasukou posted...
theofficefan99 posted...

Video games, in my opinion, are becoming an art form. I personally take video games just as seriously as books and movies. They're able to move and enthrall me. And, as humans, we always seek to escape the troubles of our daily lives, so entertainment is crucial. So I really don't think there's nothing wrong with getting hyped over "just a video game."

First, I wholeheartedly agree with you, officefan, that video games make up a new "art form" that can, when done well, show us wonders about the human condition. I find the game medium to be on par with "books and movies" also. Of course, each medium has its own less-than-stellar pieces--it's inevitable--but a medium should not be discounted for the number of bad projects churned out (otherwise the written story would probably be the worst medium out there...). Anyways, that's a discussion for another time.

When I write that Versus is "just a video game," I did not mean that, because video games are, to me, an inferior form of entertainment, thus Versus should not be given proper attention.

However, what I wanted to convey in my brief (but unfortunately ambiguous) statement is this: at the end of the day, a video game is a video game, just as a novel is a novel and a film is a film. Yes, we all wish to "escape the troubles of our daily lives" with some form of "entertainment." I did not say I was against feeling hyped about a video game, but I did want to caution against devoting so much time and attention to a single game that the hype becomes unhealthy and detracts from daily life. Especially for a game like Versus in which we have not heard of any developments for a while. This statement goes for any form of "entertainment." I easily could also have said, "It's just a film. Remember that."

I apologize for failing to consider the initial implication of my words. Now, of course, feel free to disagree with me. If making Versus your ultimate desire at this moment is what you want, then so be it. I use "you" in the general sense, and it's not directed at you, officefan, or anyone else who has posted in this topic.

Oh I gotcha lol. Thanks for clarifying. Yes, I agree with you.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#25theofficefan99(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2013 2:20:56 PM
Lelouch71 posted...
As I keep on saying, if you are a fan of Nomura's work in KH or Nojima's work in FFVII, VIII, X, and yes X-2 then you have nothing to worry about. If you hate Nomura and Nojima then you are screwed unless they both make this their best story out of all the games they have between them.

Eh this is really different from KH in pretty much every way, so I don't know if I'll consider that.

Nojima is hit or miss, unfortunately. VII and X were great, IMO, whereas VIII had the potential to be amazing but it kind of imploded on itself mid-Disc 2, and X-2 was just flat-out bad. Let's just hope that Versus XIII is a huge hit.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#26rapius002Posted 5/6/2013 7:16:23 AM
Rasukou posted...
theofficefan99 posted...

What's wrong if we detract from daily lives as long as we are healthy?
#27CokaineCowboy77Posted 5/6/2013 10:45:22 AM
Well Nojima's the writer so I expect good things
---
The Official Carbuncle of the FFXV Board.
FFVII>FFVI>FFVIII>FFIX>FFXII>FFX
#28theofficefan99(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2013 4:37:59 PM
rapius002 posted...
Rasukou posted...
theofficefan99 posted...

He's just trying to say that people shouldn't devote their lives to this game, especially since SE has been toying us for the past 2 1/2 years.

And as for me, yeah, I'm not worried at all about what I do. I'm healthy, I have a ton of friends (hell, I'm my class' Prom King), and I'm doing very well in school, so I don't feel bad at all for having a nerdy side that just freaking loves video games (and movies to a lesser extent).
---
#29theofficefan99(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2013 4:40:33 PM
CokaineCowboy77 posted...
Well Nojima's the writer so I expect good things

He's been hit-or-miss, but the guy is definitely talented. I'm sure X-2 wasn't even a serious project for him and VIII, even though it fell apart due to lazy and strange writing, the first dozen or so hours were still incredible, the atmosphere was wonderful throughout, the characters were likable, and I thought that the finale was incredibly strong.

And if the Squall=Griever and the Rinoa=Ultimecia theories were true and were actually foreshadowed in the game, the story would have been about 1000000% better.
---
#30RasukouPosted 5/6/2013 5:04:04 PM
rapius002 posted...

"I did not say I was against feeling hyped about a video game, but I did want to caution against devoting so much time and attention to a single game that the hype becomes unhealthy and [then] detracts from daily life."

Lack of well-being leading to a detraction from daily life. That's what I meant.

If we want to be more specific: "Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity" (World Health Organization). http://www.who.int/about/definition/en/print.html

I must admit, that definition is also unfortunately vague. However, I don't like to play postmodern word games, so I'll leave it at that and, in future posts, abstain from ethical reasoning.