Square Enix future strategy

#1ExentrykPosted 5/13/2013 3:21:31 AM
Overhaul the large-scale, long-term development
- Improve turnover of development

Target smart devices as a game platform

Construct a product portfolio tailored to consumer tastes in respective served regions

All slides - http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/13q4slides.pdf

They've also posted their financials, if anyone is interested.

http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/13q4earnings.pdf
http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/13q4release.pdf
---
Veni, Vidi, Dormivi.
#2Asd202Posted 5/13/2013 5:04:18 AM(edited)
Wanting to improve the time of development is one thing but actually doing it is a whole different story. I personally think that in their current state it is impossible, restructuring needs to happen. Also it seems like they are abandoning HD console development and going mobile. Guess on PS4/new Xbox we're just going to see main line Final Fantasy and nothing else from the japanese side + all the Eidos titles.
#3Rose_of_MayPosted 5/13/2013 5:24:06 AM
Overhaul the large-scale, long-term development

This makes it sound like that there won't be anymore big, ambitious games in the pipeline. Just quick projects for fast profits.

Looking at how long Versus has been in development, this could be a good thing but will it equal to less quality games in the process?
#4Exentryk(Topic Creator)Posted 5/13/2013 5:49:08 AM
If I'm reading the slide right, they're targeting to invest less than they were in 2000, but still make more money than in 2000. Wth?

So, less production values for our HD console games then? Less CG? Less HD towns? Less large explorable worlds? Less development time?
Cheap releases like LR? =/
---
Veni, Vidi, Dormivi.
#5Exentryk(Topic Creator)Posted 5/13/2013 6:01:45 AM
Also, David Gibson (senior research analyst) tweeted the following, among others:
https://twitter.com/gibbogame/

"Square Enix saying in game development will pursue less technology or game engine and more in sales and marketing."

"Square Enix saying beta of FF14 has been positive and hence high outcome can be expected. Set op target in mid term of 25bn from 7bn 3/14"

"Square Enix planning E3 presentation to make line up clearer. Doing own portfolio of titles review in each region"

"Square Enix saying retail games box was primary focus but now changed with smart devices. Still plan big global titles but more regional"

"Square Enix talking about giving consumers early access to game progress saying they have forced consumers to wait too long"

"Square Enix says games were close to break even with rising advice costs from sales period getting shorter"

Spending more on marketing and sales and less on tech/game engine? Welp.
---
Veni, Vidi, Dormivi.
#6Rose_of_MayPosted 5/13/2013 6:39:43 AM(edited)
Exentryk posted...
If I'm reading the slide right, they're targeting to invest less than they were in 2000, but still make more money than in 2000. Wth?

So, less production values for our HD console games then? Less CG? Less HD towns? Less large explorable worlds? Less development time?
Cheap releases like LR? =/

If SE screws up even more than they have before under new leadership then nothing can save that company.

"Square Enix planning E3 presentation to make line up clearer. Doing own portfolio of titles review in each region"

Aryllies posted...
We're pulling out all of the stops for E3 and TGS for two reasons:

They are starting to realise that the strategy they're been implementing for the past few years in terms of public relations and marketing hasn't born fruit.

There simply are too many promising games in production at the moment to remain silent. SE is itching to yell to the world that they're not dead, if only to make investors hear it.

I'm afraid it still has nothing to do with the gamers' expectations.

Anyways, it should be an exciting one alright.

Looks like Aryllies is right...again!
#7ZendaikPosted 5/13/2013 9:34:16 AM(edited)
"Square Enix saying in game development will pursue less technology or game engine and more in sales and marketing."

RIP Luminous Studio.

Or at least RIP massive big budget production with Luminous. I'd be surprised if the PS4 rumors about Versus are true now considering this.
---
Monster Hunter Tri, Kid Icarus: Uprising IDs: Kirolos
#8FFT-FanPosted 5/13/2013 11:16:29 AM
-"Square Enix saying in game development will pursue less technology or game engine and more in sales and marketing."

Kind of disturbing, I'm fearing this as well, they really need to get Versus out asap if it's ps3 or else make it for PS4. This is concerning, will we see less developed, complex (in a good way) games that are increasingly streamlined compared to older FF's, will they reduce total spending towards development and how? If too much of the focus is on marketing and appealing to casuals, rather then on making great games they risk more games like XIII.
-"Square Enix saying beta of FF14 has been positive and hence high outcome can be expected. Set op target in mid term of 25bn from 7bn 3/14"
Not going to play it, but good news although 25 billion yen expected up from 7.2 billion doesn't sound realistic.
-"Square Enix planning E3 presentation to make line up clearer. Doing own portfolio of titles review in each region"
They absolutely need to do this if they want to stay relevant
-"Square Enix saying retail games box was primary focus but now changed with smart devices. Still plan big global titles but more regional"

I think this could work out well for them, as long as they target casual gamers on smart phones, and target their fan base on console/handheld. Possibly they have tried (unsuccessfully) to appeal to both with the lightning saga.
-"Square Enix talking about giving consumers early access to game progress saying they have forced consumers to wait too long"\

Great to see, absolutely vital to do this if they want to stay relevant.
However, I hope this doesn't mean they intend to become a casual-centered game I developer. I don't think their games can do well as pure casual games following an EA/Activision/Ubisoft style strategy(keep costs low, high marketing, DRM, don't take risks, simplistic gameplay that appeals to the lowest common denominator, annual release usually in November, Day 1 DLC and other strategies for profit). I'll be pretty unhappy if they release their own Origin or Uplay lol
#9zombie_basher13Posted 5/13/2013 11:38:51 AM
Sounds like things are just gonna get worse.
---
Look alive, you fools.
#10dkgerbil2Posted 5/13/2013 12:31:04 PM
Concerning Square's decision to spend less on engines and technology, it isn't all doom and gloom. When you consider the development of Crystal Tools and then the development of the Luminous Engine, you can see how much time and money has been invested into making newer and better engines. It isn't necessarily a bad thing to focus less on improving the technology and more on improving what you do with what's already available. Increases to marketing and sales is just business 101, so that's not really problematic in my eyes.

The statement can be interpreted in a few ways, so I understand the concern, but I believe it's probably for the better.
---
All my friends are in bar bands.