Square Enix future strategy

#51rapius002Posted 5/21/2013 1:53:25 PM
finaljf posted...
It has been a long time since I have been to gamefaqs for forums and boards. I have only recently started to come as it gives me something to make work a little less stale. Has it really detracted that much? I do notice the mindless pandering of some, but it is nowhere near as bad as the NeoGAF boards or the Kotaku and IGN comment sections.

I don't know about NeoGAF and IGN, but bashing Kotatu outright is a little unjustified, since most of the comments I read there are most of the time well written and contribute to the discussion of the articles. And you don't see joke or troll comments like we get to see here in GFaqs. The problem with GFaqs is that a lot of gamers of ALL ages go to this site for, SURPRISE!, the faqs. I have myself been here since I was 11... God knows I wasn't really mature back then and didn't know how to write well in english. And I sure wouldn't have gone to sites like Kotaku where some articles are nearly as long as short stories.

Still, I'm not saying that gfaqs is not a bad site for discussion and this topic proves it well. And with Aryllies' first hand experience in the vg market, the level of intelligence has probably reached new heights, in long time, too!

I'm honestly surprised to see you defending Kotaku. The articles and comment sections on.there that I tend to read are about as intellectual as a social fraternity party. Maybe we don't frequent the same Kotaku articles?
#52finaljfPosted 5/21/2013 4:51:25 PM
rapius002 posted...
finaljf posted...
It has been a long time since I have been to gamefaqs for forums and boards. I have only recently started to come as it gives me something to make work a little less stale. Has it really detracted that much? I do notice the mindless pandering of some, but it is nowhere near as bad as the NeoGAF boards or the Kotaku and IGN comment sections.

I don't know about NeoGAF and IGN, but bashing Kotatu outright is a little unjustified, since most of the comments I read there are most of the time well written and contribute to the discussion of the articles. And you don't see joke or troll comments like we get to see here in GFaqs. The problem with GFaqs is that a lot of gamers of ALL ages go to this site for, SURPRISE!, the faqs. I have myself been here since I was 11... God knows I wasn't really mature back then and didn't know how to write well in english. And I sure wouldn't have gone to sites like Kotaku where some articles are nearly as long as short stories.

Still, I'm not saying that gfaqs is not a bad site for discussion and this topic proves it well. And with Aryllies' first hand experience in the vg market, the level of intelligence has probably reached new heights, in long time, too!

I'm honestly surprised to see you defending Kotaku. The articles and comment sections on.there that I tend to read are about as intellectual as a social fraternity party. Maybe we don't frequent the same Kotaku articles?

I mostly read the articles (and some of their comments) that appear on twitter, so I can't say about the whole site. And I'm not saying everything in Kotaku is godly intelligent. I remember not liking for its sheer stupidity the article of Jason Schreier about the "juvenile" character design in Dragon's Crown. He clearly went to far in it. And they guy isn't also very objective. You can often smell the fanboy out of his articles. Still, the other authors are mostly good in theirs IMO. But you know, sometimes he can pull of good ones, like the one about publishers relying on metacritic score is a really becoming a problematic in the industry.

And the fact that guests or even readers can write articles help increase the intelligence because they are more often than not interesting and well-written. And that's because the site doesn't have a message board like gfaqs. The presentation is like an article in some debate section in a journal and that also helps to maintain quality since they will have to write something interesting and well constructed if they want to be read about thousands of people.
#53mrklarrydPosted 5/23/2013 3:12:19 AM
Aryllies posted...
Just a quick excerpt from Dogs and Demons regarding some cosmetic accounting that Square Enix abuses:

This is to-bashi, «flying» – one popular technique for which is to have a bank sell a troubled property to a subsidiary, to which it then loans the money to pay for the property: real-estate problem solved! The docile Japanese press meekly reports tobashi transactions as if they were real ones; one must learn this in order to understand how to read a Japanese newspaper. A headline announces «Nippon Trust sells choice Kyoto site» or «Hokkaido Bank sells assets to write off loans,» and one might imagine that the banks were disposing of assets. However, in both cases the banks were selling to their own subsidiaries in tobashi transactions. The headlines should have read «Nippon Trust fails to sell choice Kyoto site» and «Hokkaido Bank finds no bona fide buyer to help it write off loans.»
The National Land Agency accepts tobashi sales as real ones, which further distorts land-value statistics. Hence while the agency estimates that land prices have dropped in half from their peak, the results at actual auctions show that the fall is more than 80 percent. This is a classic example of an official statistic based on skewed data, but, unfortunately, we have even less to go by in estimating the true situation in most cases.
Tobashi is only one of several techniques of funshoku kessan, «cosmetic accounting.» Another technique is, as we have seen, «book accounting,» whereby banks value their holdings at purchase value, although they may be worth much less today than what was paid for them. Or unsightly liabilities are simply brushed away, such as pension-fund deficits, which Japanese companies have not had to report, even though they face huge exposure to their underfunded pensions. When all else fails, outright falsification comes into play – with encouragement from the ministries of Finance and of International Trade and Industry. In the Jusen scandal of 1996, when Japan's seven housing-loan corporations (known as Jusen) went bankrupt, leaving bad debts of ¥8 trillion, former MOF men (amakudari, or «descended from heaven,» because after retirement they descend to the management of companies under MOF's control) ran six of the seven Jusen, which together had extended loans of which an astonishing 90 to 98.5 percent were nonperforming. In the years before the final collapse and exposure, the amakudari executives guided the Jusen banks in a game of elaborate trickery. At Juso, for example, the bank showed investigators and lenders three different sets of figures for the total of bad loans: ¥1,254 billion, ¥1,004 billion, or ¥649 billion. MOF was aware of the scale of the Jusen disaster as early as 1992, but it must have chosen to work only with the С List, because a report at that time concluded that the Jusen were «not approaching a state of danger.» This decision to put off the reckoning led to the public's having to pay hundreds of billions of yen more in 1996 to clean up the mess.
Tobashi and «cosmetic accounting» are endemic; one could say they are defining features of Japanese industry.

Shocking stuff that would certainly land people straight to jail in other parts of the world.
In Japan, it is accepted and applauded.

By the way, you guys should stop being polite and everything, we have the reputation of GameFaqs being restricted to uncivilised kids. We don't want to upset detractors.

This is the third time you've floored me in this topic.
#54mrklarrydPosted 5/23/2013 3:17:49 AM
rapius002 posted...

It varies. I really only read this board and maybe one other and, apart from this one topic after getting such a good response, I don't come here frequently (if some release really surprises me in a positive sense, I might want to talk about it ex: Nier, Deus Ex Human Revolutions, Dark Souls. Or if one really catches me off guard with how bad I think it is, I might have to vent). But in my experience, discussion this interesting is unexpected, but not completely unprecedented.
#55mrklarrydPosted 5/23/2013 3:24:53 AM
finaljf posted...
rapius002 posted...
finaljf posted...

I mostly read the articles (and some of their comments) that appear on twitter, so I can't say about the whole site. And I'm not saying everything in Kotaku is godly intelligent. I remember not liking for its sheer stupidity the article of Jason Schreier about the "juvenile" character design in Dragon's Crown. He clearly went to far in it. And they guy isn't also very objective. You can often smell the fanboy out of his articles. Still, the other authors are mostly good in theirs IMO. But you know, sometimes he can pull of good ones, like the one about publishers relying on metacritic score is a really becoming a problematic in the industry.

And the fact that guests or even readers can write articles help increase the intelligence because they are more often than not interesting and well-written. And that's because the site doesn't have a message board like gfaqs. The presentation is like an article in some debate section in a journal and that also helps to maintain quality since they will have to write something interesting and well constructed if they want to be read about thousands of people.

That guy used to post here (think his name was writerjason or something similar...he'd sometimes link to his articles before he got the kotaku gig). He's a smart guy and means well but yeah, there's a bit of upset fanboy to him. It's coming from the right place, though. He genuinely wants these types of games to thrive.

Whatever you think of him, he is talking about a somewhat obscure genre that I happen to like on a high visibility site. I doubt, say, IGN has dedicated a fraction of the page space that he has to something like Ni No Kuni.
#56Exentryk(Topic Creator)Posted 5/26/2013 8:00:11 PM
Here is the PDF with English notes about Square Enix's future strategy:

http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/20130527_01en.pdf
---
Veni, Vidi, Dormivi.