It looks like Versus XIII may not be renamed FFXV...

#11TruthPosted 5/25/2013 9:10:17 PM
SQEX Japan recently updated the domain for finalfantasyversus.com. They updated the domain on April 23, 2013. This is only around a month ago. This is really interesting, as this domain was first registered on May 8, 2006, the same day FF Versus XIII was first announced.

Here's the details about the domain, as well as info on who owns it and when it was updated:
-- http://whois.net/whois/finalfantasyversus.com
-- http://whois.domaintools.com/finalfantasyversus.com

This could mean that FF Versus XIII has not been renamed FFXV. Instead, it's now just called "FINAL FANTASY Versus", without the XIII. There are two points that support this:

(1) Tetsuya Nomura stated when FF Versus XIII was first announced that the game was unsuitable as a mainline FF due to the plot, themes and gameplay structure. This was despite him knowing how ambitious in scope he wanted to make the game. Even though he wanted FF Versus XIII to not lose to FFXIII, he still didn't think is was suitable as a mainline FF.

(2) Tetsuya Nomura still refers to the game as "Versus". Nomura referred to the game as "Versus" more than once during his recent interview on the SQEX Merchandise Radio in April 2013.

(3) Yosinori Kitase and Motomu Toriyama stated recently in January 2013 that "The Lightning Saga" represents FFXIII. However, they also added that The Lightning Saga doesn't represent the end of Fabula Nova Crystallis.

(4) FF Agito XIII got renamed to Final Fantasy Type-0 in way back January 2011. It dropped the XIII from the title. There's a high chance FF Versus XIII has been planned to drop the XIII for a long time now.

The plot thickens! Not long till E3 2013, where we'll hopefully find out the truth! :-)
---
Final Fantasy XII is a masterpiece in both game design and story.
#2ExentrykPosted 5/25/2013 9:45:32 PM(edited)
They have multiple domain names secured. It doesn't mean anything.

finalfantasyversusxiii.com was updated in April last year, and expires in 2014. They also have finalfantasyxv.com and finalfantasy-xv.com covered.
---
Veni, Vidi, Dormivi.
#31Truth(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2013 9:41:37 PM
Exentryk posted...
They have multiple domain names secured. It doesn't mean anything.

finalfantasyversusxiii.com was updated in April last year, and expires in 2015. They also have finalfantasyxv.com and finalfantasy-xv.com covered.

I researched all that before I made this thread. Those URLs you mentioned are owned by SQEX Europe and last updated in April 2012. They also expire in 2014, not 2015.

The specific URL I mentioned in the OP is owned by SQEX Japan and was last updated in April this year. It expires in 2015. We'll see by E3 if there's any meaning behind it.
---
#4ZendaikPosted 5/25/2013 9:55:47 PM
"Tetsuya Nomura stated when FF Versus XIII was first announced that the game was unsuitable as a mainline FF due to the plot, themes and gameplay structure."

Link? Or are you talking about this?

http://www.1up.com/news/ffxiii-interview

EGM: Can you give us any info about FFXIII's battle system?
YK: At first sight, it might seem like an action game, but FFXIII inherits the long tradition of the numbered FF games, which is the active-time battle command system. We are trying to use a similar system to what you've seen, but the major difference is that the battle will be speeded up considerably. In the past, you had to wait to input commands, but our goal here is to reduce that waiting time as much as possible, so that the battles are greatly speeded up.

EGM: While 13 seems like an evolution, Versus seems like a radical reworking ... how far will you take it?
TN: FFXIII will continue the underlying traditions of the Final Fantasy series, but Versus XIII will go far beyond the traditions. I'm relieved that FFXIII will honor those traditions, so that I can feel free to experiment with everything that I want. Versus XIII isn't a simple combination of Advent Children and KH2, though. The game parts of Versus XIII will be created by the KH2 team, and I'm much more interested in what type of a game will my team create on the base ground of FF. It's not really about trying to create some kind of evolution of the KH battle system, but rather trying to create something new and different. As long as the team remains the same, there will be several different elements that will be reflected in the battle system: Traditional FF elements, and totally new ideas inspired by other games, and all the game ideas coming from the knowledge of my team.

Anyway I'm not sure if this domain business means much. I'm starting to get convinced that it'll be renamed, but I don't know if it'll necessarily be called XV.

A day or two before Sony's conference we should make a "final predictions" thread where we try to predict if the game will appear, if it will be renamed, if it'll be renamed to XV if it does, and if it'll release on PS3 or PS4 and see how everyone's predictions turn out.
---
Monster Hunter Tri, Kid Icarus: Uprising IDs: Kirolos
#51Truth(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2013 10:03:48 PM
Zendaik posted...
"Tetsuya Nomura stated when FF Versus XIII was first announced that the game was unsuitable as a mainline FF due to the plot, themes and gameplay structure."

Link?

It was said in an interview around the time FF Versus XIII was first announced in May 2006.

Quote and source:
Hyper PlayStation asked the staff why they decided to announce Versus as a part of Final Fantasy XIII and not as a brand new Final Fantasy XIV. The concept and thinking behind Versus would not be possible in a standard numbered Final Fantasy title, Nomura responded. However, Kitase jumped in, assuring that Versus is not just a side-story, as it has some of what makes a numbered FF game what it is. However, he added, "With Versus, we are trying out a type of adventure that we couldn't do in the numbered series."

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2006/05/31/gaimaga-blows-out-final-fantasy-xiii?page=2
---
#6ZendaikPosted 5/25/2013 10:08:00 PM
OK. I wonder if that still holds weight.
---
#7PillsberyDoeManPosted 5/25/2013 10:16:16 PM
i'm just... so tired of all the speculation.
---
Kingdom Hearts Timeline! http://goo.gl/cAiEC
impatiently waiting on versus xiii... EDIT: not so much anymore... (4/28/11)
#8ZendaikPosted 5/25/2013 10:20:52 PM
PillsberyDoeMan posted...
i'm just... so tired of all the speculation.

We all are mang :(
---
#9ExentrykPosted 5/25/2013 10:22:37 PM
After rechecking the domains and renewals, I found something that doesn't fit.

Domain Name: finalfantasyversus.com
Created On......................: May 08, 2006
Last Updated On..............: Apr 23, 2013
Expiration Date................: May 08, 2015

Domain Name: finalfantasyversusxiii.com
Created on......................: May 08, 2006
Last Updated on..............: Apr 17, 2012
Expires on.......................: May 08, 2014

Both of these records were registered on the same date, and the renewals are due every 2 years. So, after 2006, it would have been in 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014 and so on. Curious thing is that the first record (...versus.com) is renewed in 2013 then.
---
Veni, Vidi, Dormivi.
#10ExentrykPosted 5/25/2013 10:42:50 PM
1Truth posted...
The specific URL I mentioned in the OP is owned by SQEX Japan and was last updated in April this year. It expires in 2015. We'll see by E3 if there's any meaning behind it.

And how does it matter if SEJ registered/renewed it? The Japanese side doesn't even need a new domain, as most of their sites are on their own site.

For example:

Japan - www.jp.square-enix.com/ffx_x-2HD/
West - www.finalfantasyxhd.com
---
Veni, Vidi, Dormivi.