More details on Square Enix' Future Strategy

#11zombie_basher13Posted 5/26/2013 11:42:02 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
As if there wasn't enough proof, yes, guys, this game is going to show up at E3.

I CAN SEE THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL.
---
Look alive, you fools.
#12StormBlitzPosted 5/27/2013 1:37:23 AM(edited)
Good. This better be directed at Versus. Right now, I can't think of any other game that fits that description. KH3 was never announced but they are pissing off a lot of fans who are waiting forever for it. So they better talk about their plans for it soon.
#13BarthelloPosted 5/27/2013 2:37:48 AM
I can only hope that they'll start their new strategy off, by explaining why it took so long to give any information about Versus. I hope it'd be something along the lines of it being a project that would get as much time as it needed, to be perfected and to be the final product as it was initially intended to be.

I never really got why a company would be so hesitant to show an early build of a game, just point out what improvements they're intending to make and then listen to the target audience its feedback. But maybe that's what they're about to do. Blizzard does that occasionally. Capcom seems to doing it with the RE series now, although we have to wait for the first detials on RE7.
#1410seigaPosted 5/27/2013 2:57:38 AM
Tomb Raider sold 3.4 million in a month while Final Fantasy XIII-2 sold 3.1 million in a year, but Tomb Raider is the disappointment?

They don't even mention their poor selling first-party games yet they point out the disappointing sales for the Eidos games. I don't know about you guys, but if I worked at Eidos I would f'ing hate SE.

Tomb Raider sales:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-26-tomb-raider-has-sold-3-4-million-copies-failed-to-hit-expectations

FF XIII-2 sales:
http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiiis-creators-justify-a-third-game-in-a-se
---
"Remember there's no such thing as wasting life as long as you have the courage to do what you like and be passionate about it." -John the Translator
#15CokaineCowboy77Posted 5/27/2013 2:59:44 AM
"One could go as far as to say that in today's times, making customers wait for years with little to no information is being dishonest to them."

Congratulations after figuring that out after six years.
---
The Official Carbuncle of the FFXV Board.
FFVII>FFVI>FFVIII>FFIX>FFXII>FFX
#16Rose_of_MayPosted 5/27/2013 3:20:19 AM
"One could go as far as to say that in today's times, making customers wait for years with little to no information is being dishonest to them. We're no longer in an age where customers are left in the dark until a product is completed. We need to shift to a business model where we frequently interact with our customers for our products that are in development and/or prior to being sold..."

Good news is good news.

It's a shame it took them so long to realize being secretive and holding back information for one of their key franchises for nearly a decade is not good business.

We're not expecting SE or any other developer to show us everything about a work in progress but they could at least keep us updated like Yoshida has done with FFXIV since he took over.

From Software, Namco, Konami, Sega, Koei, they've all been open about their projects but for some reason Square Enix just didn't get it until nearly the end of an entire console cycle.

I hope this is a good sign of things to come.
#17PillsberyDoeManPosted 5/27/2013 4:14:09 AM
"One could go as far as to say that in today's times, making customers wait for years with little to no information is being dishonest to them. We're no longer in an age where customers are left in the dark until a product is completed. We need to shift to a business model where we frequently interact with our customers for our products that are in development and/or prior to being sold..."

they talk the talk, but i'm doubtful they can walk the walk.
---
Kingdom Hearts Timeline! http://goo.gl/cAiEC
impatiently waiting on versus xiii... EDIT: not so much anymore... (4/28/11)
#18dkgerbil2Posted 5/27/2013 7:09:34 AM
10seiga posted...
Tomb Raider sold 3.4 million in a month while Final Fantasy XIII-2 sold 3.1 million in a year, but Tomb Raider is the disappointment?

They don't even mention their poor selling first-party games yet they point out the disappointing sales for the Eidos games. I don't know about you guys, but if I worked at Eidos I would f'ing hate SE.

Tomb Raider sales:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-26-tomb-raider-has-sold-3-4-million-copies-failed-to-hit-expectations

FF XIII-2 sales:
http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/lightning-returns-final-fantasy-xiiis-creators-justify-a-third-game-in-a-se

It's all about expectations and amount they pumped into it. I remember reading somewhere (about a year ago, so I can't source it) that they only expected about 5 million in sales from both XIII-2 and Lightning Returns. That means they're on par with expectations so far. Tomb Raider had expectations in the area of 5 million alone and it didn't meet that. I'm not sure if Square is just setting lofty expectations for Eidos products because they feel the sales in America will be higher or if they're using the same calculations that they do for FF games, but something is clearly wrong either way.
---
All my friends are in bar bands.
#19MagnaderAlphaPosted 5/27/2013 11:26:18 AM
I could get behind this, and more companies SHOULD be considering this type of thing(ahem, MICROSOFT). Consumers/gamers ARE what make companies successful, so having a good term relationship with them, letting them have some power in choosing what they want and not keeping them in the dark goes a long ways into showing them they're business is appreciated.

Also, I heard they are considering a Project Steam Greenlight/Kickstarter type program where they can get feedback or gamers can even invest in them creating games. THAT could work. Imagine if Square says something like, "You want us to make a new Chrono game? Want to be a part of it? Here's a link to some polls, here's a site where you can donate if you want. We are interested in your feedback. We're going to have monster design contests!...." THAT could really work. Not only would it get people to invest, Square could basically fund a game without FUNDING it. Unless they go and say Toriyama's directing it, and then.... LOL....
#20Lelouch71Posted 5/27/2013 1:19:12 PM
10seiga posted...

FFXIII-2 (and LR for that matter)=Smaller budget cheap spin-off sequel

TR=High budget game that was built from scratch

Not all projects are created equal. The higher the budget the greater the amount that needs to be sold in order to make a profit. That is why most Japanese developers (and SE included) see smart phones, tablets, and handhelds as more lucrative markets.
---
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"