Do you guys think the classic, overhead, FF world map is outdated?

#1IcyFlamez96Posted 6/20/2013 4:48:25 PM
I know people say that turn based is outdated and people disagree saying "no it's not, it's more fun and strategic and blah blah." Could we a agree that the classic world map is outdated though? It could still be enjoyable, sure. Ni no kuni had it. Would you guys always take a 1:1 scale world map over a classic, overhead, not to scale one?
---
If ya na'mean
Ratchet and Clank movie.... YESSSS
#2zodiac_swordPosted 6/20/2013 4:52:31 PM
Design choice.
---
What do you think it means when a girl leaves a fake mustache at your house?
#3DragoonGriffithPosted 6/20/2013 4:52:42 PM
I'm honestly ok with world maps, but I slightly prefer the ways FFXII, Dragon Quest VIII and Xenoblade do things.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing a classic world map again either.
---
Tales of Rebirth = SARPG
#4GaboadoPosted 6/20/2013 4:56:08 PM
I like the map of Chrono Cross where you only have battle with monters inside dungeons and have free exploration in a world map.
#5rapius002Posted 6/20/2013 4:56:16 PM
While I like all the different explorable areas ala Xenoblade/Final Fantasy XII, there is something about the scale of seeing and running around on a classic scaled world map. As long as there is as many areas as those other games, I see no reason why it can't work as well to get to the areas via a scaled world map. Plus, Final Fantasy Type-0 really showed you can traverse a scaled world map and make it very interesting.
#6IcyFlamez96(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2013 4:56:40 PM
zodiac_sword posted...
Design choice.

So what do you like better?
---
If ya na'mean
Ratchet and Clank movie.... YESSSS
#7zodiac_swordPosted 6/20/2013 4:58:33 PM
rapius002 posted...
there is something about the scale of seeing and running around on a classic scaled world map. As long as there is as many areas as those other games, I see no reason why it can't work as well to get to the areas via a scaled world map.

Are you listening to me think out loud?
---
#8RedwingedMinxPosted 6/20/2013 5:04:47 PM
I think it suits certain games but doesn't look good with other games. This game probably would look weird with it. It would benefit from a FFXII or Xenoblade styled world map. Games with SD and very anime-ish characters look good with classic world-maps.
#9GaboadoPosted 6/20/2013 5:08:04 PM
RedwingedMinx posted...
I think it suits certain games but doesn't look good with other games. This game probably would look weird with it. It would benefit from a FFXII or Xenoblade styled world map. Games with SD and very anime-ish characters look good with classic world-maps.

It would look very FFVIII, actually the characters and everything else have that FFVIII feel...
#10zodiac_swordPosted 6/20/2013 5:09:50 PM
IcyFlamez96 posted...
zodiac_sword posted...
Design choice.

So what do you like better?

World map I guess. FF12 is to blame for any negativity I have toward the style of world FF12 had.
---