Do you guys think the classic, overhead, FF world map is outdated?

#11Lelouch71Posted 6/20/2013 6:15:26 PM
Yes it is. It worked back in the Nes, Snes, PS1, and even PS2 days but now that technology has improved is outdated especially when you can create huge worlds that gives a better illusion of freedom.
---
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"
#12zodiac_swordPosted 6/20/2013 6:18:16 PM
Lelouch71 posted...
Yes it is. It worked back in the Nes, Snes, PS1, and even PS2 days but now that technology has improved is outdated especially when you can create huge worlds that gives a better illusion of freedom.

What if you want a scaled down version of the world?
---
What do you think it means when a girl leaves a fake mustache at your house?
#13badboyPosted 6/20/2013 6:23:45 PM(edited)
It's always good to have a massive overworld, it adds a LOT to the gameplay experience. But there are some RPGs that didn't have it yet they were still very fun like FF10 and DQ8.
#14Bonesy777Posted 6/20/2013 6:30:32 PM
Honestly, I really do miss flying around on an airship on a world map. And I do not mean just clicking a location and warping to it like in Final Fantasy X. I mean actually walking into an airship and piloting it around the map. In most early games the main story didn't take you across the entire world map. There were areas that you had to discover on your own via airship, like the Centra Ruins in Final Fantasy VIII or Daguerro in Final Fantasy IX, or pretty much everything in the WoR in Final Fantasy VI. To me, it was really fun doing stuff like this. I understand that this model doesn't fit all games. Case and point, Xenoblade. A world map on a giant just seems silly. But having one did work wonders for Ni No Kuni. I don't think that they are outdated, not in the slightest, but they do have to be implemented properly.
#15shadowSEXilPosted 6/20/2013 9:50:54 PM
I think it is outdated now. I believe we can do the same thing in real-time on these next-gen consoles.
---
I eat cereal for breakfast with 1% milk.
#16RedSpade2712Posted 6/20/2013 9:55:33 PM
yes i think it is outdated, that kind of world map has not been used by SE for the main FF for many years, (start with X? i don't know)
well if you can ride airship, i mean really ride it with the modern-gen world map, hovering above field and cities, that would be pretty awesome
---
I don't like closed-minded gamer who deny technology and next gen gaming
#17Strife_TenpouinPosted 6/20/2013 10:09:21 PM(edited)
I like the classic style (and games like Blue Dragon and Ni no Kuni showed they can still be a lot of fun) but I've grown to prefer the proportional world maps/zones of games like DQVIII, FFXII, WA5, WKC1+2 and Xenoblade.
---
Time fades even legend.
#18Strife_TenpouinPosted 6/20/2013 10:08:27 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#19TehAssasinPosted 6/20/2013 10:09:28 PM
badboy posted...
It's always good to have a massive overworld, it adds a LOT to the gameplay experience. But there are some RPGs that didn't have it yet they were still very fun like FF10 and DQ8.

I don't think you meant to say DQ8.
#20badboyPosted 6/20/2013 10:14:14 PM
DQ8 doesn't use the same old-fashioned world map. It is more open.