FFXV's battle system. Is there enough depth for the action-based combat?

#11TehAssasin(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2013 4:30:18 AM
Is the Tales battle system really that deep? I had a lot of fun with Tales of Destiny: DC, Tales of Vesperia and Tales of Graces f, but I never really compare and analyse how tactical and complex the battle systems are in the series.
#12AndrogyneTechPosted 7/2/2013 4:39:01 AM
Well, I think that one thing we can agree on is that the combat in Tales games is leaps and bounds better than Kingdom Hearts has ever offered.

The combat in Kingdom Hearts is definitely very simplistic and hack n' slash.
#13CokaineCowboy77Posted 7/2/2013 4:46:36 AM
AndrogyneTech posted...
Well, I think that one thing we can agree on is that the combat in Tales games is leaps and bounds better than Kingdom Hearts has ever offered.

The combat in Kingdom Hearts is definitely very simplistic and hack n' slash.

Yeah, especially in KHI and KHII. It needs to be simplistic though to appeal to it's demograph.
---
"When it comes to sex don't test my skills, 'cause my head game got you head over heels" - Lil' Kim
#14DragoonGriffithPosted 7/2/2013 4:48:05 AM
TehAssasin posted...
Is the Tales battle system really that deep? I had a lot of fun with Tales of Destiny: DC, Tales of Vesperia and Tales of Graces f, but I never really compare and analyse how tactical and complex the battle systems are in the series.

Well, you've played Destiny R so you should know just as much as I that there's considarable depth.

Not to mention Rebirth.

That game is basically a strategy ARPG with the Rush Gauge and Force Gauge.
---
"Looks like we now know where all hot chicks in FF XV went."- About Drakengard 3.
#15RedSpade2712Posted 7/2/2013 4:55:14 AM
I believe this has even more depth compared to TB battle IF you play on hard difficulty that is.
Heck, if Tales can make a good strategy ARPG then SE should be able too, considering their experience on both KH and FF titles.

However i do know that "be able to be good" doesn't mean this game will be good
---
I don't like closed-minded gamer who deny technology and next gen gaming
#16TehAssasin(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2013 5:24:23 AM
DragoonGriffith posted...
TehAssasin posted...

Well, you've played Destiny R so you should know just as much as I that there's considarable depth.

Not to mention Rebirth.

That game is basically a strategy ARPG with the Rush Gauge and Force Gauge.

Well you should know quite a whole lot more than me. I had to refer to translation guide pretty much 101% of the time, and it's also been quite a while since I played the game back then.

Haven't try Rebirth, although I really should just do the same as I did with Destiny DC. Heard many good things about it and it seems pretty unlikely that Hideo Baba would bring it outside of Japan. :/
#17ShinGundamPosted 7/2/2013 11:42:46 AM
XV looks solid and "could be" deep but i can't tell for sure yet. First, there is a lot of promising mobility options in your hand such as teleporting to cancel an attack or mid combo or to dodge an enemy attack like in Iron giant fight and then we have traditional roll and dash. Second, there seems to be good attack variety with each weapon has different attack speed, timing and attack movement. Finally, we have unarmed attacks/movement but i can't tell much about them.

I guess the problem is that we can mock it for being a button mashy but at the same time it doesn't seem like there is much of canned combo strings or even smoothness because of weapon setup in PV was a mix of stuff with different movement that require more timing and positioning from player and it is hard to tell which is the best weapon/primary weapon.

One thing i am sure about is battles might revolve around many dynamics so far due to the different options; Should i cast fire at Behemoth or climp and aim at the weak point or switch to Prompto and use guns?

Anyway, I think at the current state, the base is solid but what i would like is a decent ability system that balance the game but without stuff like you need to do X to trigger Y state and the like.
#18Lelouch71Posted 7/2/2013 3:45:05 PM
KH2Rulz posted...
However, if you look at Terra from KH2:FM, there is almost no way you can just button-mash and still win, even at level 99 and on Standard Mode.

And I agree with this wholeheartedly. Terra's LS whipped my ass too many times that I can count.The same is true for the data org members. Hell in BbS and KH3D you couldn't afford to spam X in some battles.
---
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"
#19PerlesquePosted 7/2/2013 4:06:45 PM
None of the above indicates depth (as to be conclusive) to me, not until we have it in our hands. On-field actions (much of the above) are only a fraction of what comprises depth for me; it's the character progression system and how it factors into on-field battles that will determine depth.

One portion I'm hoping isn't a letdown is its character classes (or specialization). It's clear from previous footage Noctis' friends each branch off in a certain style of combat while Noctis himself is more a "jack of all trades, master of none" character. Not a problem, except here's to hoping the latter part of that remains true else the rest of the party will be relegated as tools.
#20TehAssasin(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2013 9:31:05 PM
Perlesque posted...
None of the above indicates depth (as to be conclusive) to me, not until we have it in our hands. On-field actions (much of the above) are only a fraction of what comprises depth for me; it's the character progression system and how it factors into on-field battles that will determine depth.

One portion I'm hoping isn't a letdown is its character classes (or specialization). It's clear from previous footage Noctis' friends each branch off in a certain style of combat while Noctis himself is more a "jack of all trades, master of none" character. Not a problem, except here's to hoping the latter part of that remains true else the rest of the party will be relegated as tools.

Yeah, although there's no actual job classes for playable characters, each of them is still supposedly good at a particular weapon and possibly skill set that complements the weapons. The only iffy part is the crossover choice of weapon in Katana between Ignis and Cor. It's not an issue if it's like FFXII where everyone can freely choose a weapon to equip, but it's kinda strange that is the case here in FFXV.