Best Protagonist in Final Fantasy?

#61kratoscar2008Posted 7/3/2013 11:37:25 PM
Lelouch71 posted...
antipous posted...
Zidane, followed by Cloud. And I didn't realize this before... but wow, FF could do with some better protagonists. I can't think of a single FF game where the protagonist was the best/most compelling character in the playable cast.

FF isn't the only jrpg guilty of that. There are quite a few that are like that. KH is pretty good example. Just about everyone is more interesting and cooler than Sora.

Tales is a prime example of that, every other playable character is much more appealing than the MC himself.

Hrothdane posted...
Lelouch71 posted...
antipous posted...
Zidane, followed by Cloud. And I didn't realize this before... but wow, FF could do with some better protagonists. I can't think of a single FF game where the protagonist was the best/most compelling character in the playable cast.

FF isn't the only jrpg guilty of that. There are quite a few that are like that. KH is pretty good example. Just about everyone is more interesting and cooler than Sora.

I think it's just an unfortunate tendency of main protagonists in general, honestly. The main character is usually the most generic of the cast in order to have the broadest appeal and allow the most self-insertion.

I would agree if say FF or Tales tried to allow self insertion but seeing that isnt the case i say is just bad writing.
---
The official Vulcanus of the Shin Megami Tensei IV boards
http://www.gaijinworks.com/interact/forum.php Vic is baaaack.
#62KOTRsssPosted 7/4/2013 12:49:36 AM
Cloud is the most interesting. Zidane is very likable and Squall is relatable if you're a particularly angsty 13 year old.
---
Gamefaqs has taught us that academic fields like literature don't exist because of teenagers that say "well that's just your opinion and I disagree."
#63DragoonGriffithPosted 7/4/2013 12:58:06 AM
kratoscar2008 posted...

Tales is a prime example of that, every other playable character is much more appealing than the MC himself.

Not really.

IMO the best character of Destiny was Stahn, and Vesperia's best was Yuri.
---
"Looks like we now know where all hot chicks in FF XV went."- About Drakengard 3.
#64RomangeloPosted 7/4/2013 2:05:54 AM
hahaha Cloud?

this poll result shown the quality of FFXV fanbase.
---
X > V > T > VI > XII > XIII-2 > Type-0 > VIII > VII > X-2 > TLR > XIII > IV > IX > II > III > I > XV
#65MarquessLausPosted 7/4/2013 2:33:09 AM
Picking Cloud. We learn the most of his life through FFVII (we see him at 7,14, 16, 21), he has one of the more personal conflicts with the main antagonist (And Sephiroth didn't get superceded by someone else) and I personally just identify with the dorky loner who tries to act cool with various degrees of success.
---
When you've got a pretty-boy monkey on your back constantly calling you a puppet, you hardly want to seem like you're happy to be used. - DSakaCharanJ
#66j-fielding95Posted 7/4/2013 2:34:56 AM
Lightning. The only one of your protagonists I actually like, except Terra and Cecil.
---
The Lightning of the next generation: http://squareportal.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/ffxvmysterywoman-copy.png
#67Persephone42Posted 7/4/2013 3:45:22 AM
OK, I take it you're implying main protagonist, therefore you forced me to vote Cloud. On second thought, I would've said Cloud anyway, for many of the fine reasons other posters have stated.

And while I love FFX, I can't vote Tidus, or Squall for that matter either. They're incessant whiners. Tidus whines throughout the game. Squall whines from the START of his game ["OMG I got hurt while sparring." Jeebus, even Genesis didn't whiiine and cry to be taken to the infirmary, and he walked around in varying stages of death for the entirety of Crisis Core. Grow a pair, Squall.].

But I gotta give props to Auron. Older, mysterious, total BA fighter, and carries around a huge jug of booze everywhere. Dude's the Mack Daddy of the game.
#68XenilPosted 7/4/2013 3:51:48 AM
This is tough one because I like (or at the very least don't dislike) any of the protagonists.

My favorite is probably Bartz because he's just having fun and doesn't take himself too seriously, what's not to like?
#69Valcrist_Mk2Posted 7/4/2013 4:02:13 AM
FFVII Cloud.

SPECIFICALLY FFVII Cloud. The other appearances are a joke.
---
I live in a world where DRAKENGARD is getting a third main game before Valkyrie Profile
http://procgifimage.memecenter.com/1372453862953-191.gif
#70Persephone42Posted 7/4/2013 4:03:13 AM
MarquessLaus posted...
Picking Cloud. We learn the most of his life through FFVII (we see him at 7,14, 16, 21), he has one of the more personal conflicts with the main antagonist (And Sephiroth didn't get superceded by someone else) and I personally just identify with the dorky loner who tries to act cool with various degrees of success.

Technically, there is a three-year jump in Dirge of Cerberus, so I think by the time Cloud shows up, Deepground has surfaced, which would make Cloud 24 -- practically an old man by FF standards =)

OH, and for the record: The only reason I LOST it when I saw the FIRST trailer for VERSUS was because it had the name "CLOUD" stamped on it throughout the whole freaking clip. I thought that was a particularly nasty trick.