Final Fantasy Is At Its Best In A Traditional Fantasy Setting

#1XTGeminimanPosted 7/17/2013 3:07:02 PM
I wish they would go back to those days. I never cared for the futuristic FF games. Even a game like 7, I did not really enjoy until I was out of futuristic Midgar. Does anyone else like the escapism from reality that the more traditional fantasy setting brought?
#2SugarBoogersPosted 7/17/2013 3:12:08 PM
I don't really see VII or even XV as any more realistic than something like FFV. Sure, you've got a modern-looking city, but you've still got flying weapons, sea serpents, and flat-out magic.
---
Oh delightful! The KH boards have gone to complete s*** and I was looking for a new place to chill.
- Me, being horribly mistaken about the Sticker Star Boards
#3theofficefan99Posted 7/17/2013 3:15:35 PM
I disagree, I love modern/sci-fi, I wouldn't mind if every FF from now on was modern/sci-fi.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#4DragoonGriffithPosted 7/17/2013 3:19:11 PM
None of the FFs so far did futuristic right. Storylines tend to become a mess with convoluted terms being handed out like candy.

A lot of JRPGs don't for that matter.
---
"Looks like we now know where all hot chicks in FF XV went."- About Drakengard 3.
Triple Triad is the worst thing ever created in a video game.
#5PerlesquePosted 7/17/2013 3:21:00 PM
I don't know about best, but I definitely do enjoy the fantasy settings all-around. The wooden propeller airship ascending into an iridescent skyscape with landmasses always gets me -- and Chocobos too.
#6FreshSushiPosted 7/17/2013 3:23:23 PM(edited)
Not really. I actually don't like high fantasy medieval settings, except like Lordran, but that's only cause it's vague, grim and about Gods.
---
Miyazaki...Seriously Namco....why....wwaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiii
2014: DS II, The Evil Within, Ultra SSF4
#7theofficefan99Posted 7/17/2013 3:23:57 PM
DragoonGriffith posted...
None of the FFs so far did futuristic right. Storylines tend to become a mess with convoluted terms being handed out like candy.

A lot of JRPGs don't for that matter.

There's only been two legitimate futuristic FF's and the convoluted terms weren't the problem at all >.> and this is only a topic about setting, not the story.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#8DragoonGriffithPosted 7/17/2013 3:28:30 PM
Just saying that the storylines tend to be more simple and easier to follow (and thus better IMO) when they aren't in a futuristic setting.

I'm not saying it's impossible for a futuristic setting to work, but FF has yet to show it can do it on the same level they do medieval or the mix settings (FFVI and FFVII for example).
---
"Looks like we now know where all hot chicks in FF XV went."- About Drakengard 3.
Triple Triad is the worst thing ever created in a video game.
#9ShinGundamPosted 7/17/2013 3:37:38 PM
People needs to stop being stupid for once or at least for change.

Pure futuristic settings in JRPGs is relatively very very rare and it is non-existing in a series like FF.

FF games are mixed and the older always progress technologically toward the end while stuff like FF7 do it the opposite way.
#10ShinGundamPosted 7/17/2013 3:50:27 PM
DragoonGriffith posted...
Just saying that the storylines tend to be more simple and easier to follow (and thus better IMO) when they aren't in a futuristic setting.

I'm not saying it's impossible for a futuristic setting to work, but FF has yet to show it can do it on the same level they do medieval or the mix settings (FFVI and FFVII for example).

Again most of FF games are mixed and being medieval didn't stop FF from featuring time travel to the world merging absurdity.

Futuristic setting can work but it is very rare to begin with and in case of FF and JRPGs they will still magic, gods and temples.