Final Fantasy Is At Its Best In A Traditional Fantasy Setting

#51DullahanEXPosted 7/25/2013 2:18:33 PM
DragoonGriffith posted...
None of the FFs so far did futuristic right. Storylines tend to become a mess with convoluted terms being handed out like candy.

A lot of JRPGs don't for that matter.

FF stories become convoluted regardless of setting. FFIX's plot fell off a cliff post Disc 3.
---
Currently Playing: Fire Emblem: Awakening
#52rpglover13Posted 7/25/2013 5:54:59 PM
Totally disagree. If they were all in a traditional fantasy setting it would be boring. I've been playing all the FFs in order and trying to get through FFV after the first I-IV showed me this. It's just like if they had kept the main protagonist as nothing more than an avatar a la FFI and III and pretty much II( I know that II and III both gave them names, but there was very little personality or input from them). I like the traditional fantasy, but it's nice to have something different too.
#53Kou-NurasakaPosted 7/26/2013 8:42:21 PM
Perlesque posted...
I don't know about best, but I definitely do enjoy the fantasy settings all-around. The wooden propeller airship ascending into an iridescent skyscape with landmasses always gets me -- and Chocobos too.

I agree. I think the coolest airships have always been the wooden boat looking ships. That being said, almost every FF is some sort of fusion between steampunk/sci fi.

The only FF's that seem to have a blase medieval inspired world are FF1, FF3, and FFX (an exception is made for Blitzball, the Temples and the Al Bhed, but the rest of society seems to live low tech).

That being said, one of my favorite setting is FFXII, which I think made good use of its setting. I also liked FFX and FFIV. So I prefer my games as more medieval, but a dash of future doesn't hurt.
#54dingo_of_jawaiiPosted 7/26/2013 8:43:34 PM
That's your opinion.

I like traditional fantasy, but I also like other things.
I'm Sure You Understand?
---
PSN ID: HakubiXFire // http://psnprofiles.com/HakubiXFire
Currently Playing: FFXIV: Realm Reborn BETA, FFIX & Toro's Friend Network
#55RagirothPosted 7/26/2013 11:21:42 PM
Eh, even though 9 was my favorite, I prefer the more sci fi kinda fantasy. But that may also be why I love IX, because it was a nice blend of the two themes. I just think the traditional fantasy setting is done to death. The only one I really liked that was traditional was IV. VI I consider more in line with IX which I also like.
---
http://z8.invisionfree.com/Final_Chase_Zone/index.php?
PSN-Ragiroth
#56DetriimentPosted 8/1/2013 8:46:16 PM
TheAlmightyPoe posted...
wow, no one said anything about viii.

8's terribad plot aside, the setting was wonderful. You had modern(fishing town, the big city with the assassination attempt, zell's hometowm) then you had futuristic (Gardens, Spaceship, Spacestation, Esther).

FFVIII's failing had nothing to do with the setting, if they wrote a tad better, it would be a top 3 FF

I couldn't agree more. One of the things I really noticed about 8 was that people either absolutely loved it or hated it, there was no inbetween.

I personally liked it quite a bit, but most of my friends hated it. Even though I loved it, I have to admit, Rinoa's constant bull**** got out of hand.
---
Enlightened rule by the dead is preferable to the misguided failures of the living. - Kinoc.
LoL IGN: Spicy Curry (Plat)