Kaim Argonar >> Lightning

#11heartlesshero17Posted 7/23/2013 10:54:12 AM
Kaim is good in the Thousand Years of Dreams but unremarkable in the actual game.

Not gonna lie, I always thought this. Though those dreams were easily my favorite part of the game anyways. I quit LO on disc 4 but just loved the dreams. Mistwalker needs to do something like that again. Imo those were really well written.

Though even in game, I kinda liked Kaim more then Lightning. Coming from some one who quit on this game
---
Pain, first in the world to beat Penance in FFX International NSG!
^ it will happen!!!!
#12BlazingRainPosted 7/23/2013 5:45:13 PM
MagnaderAlpha posted...
BlazingRain posted...
No and no.

Kaim is good in the Thousand Years of Dreams but unremarkable in the actual game.

And Lost Odyssey would never pass for an FF. The game lacks polish, a sound and coherent art direction, and is quite conservative in its game design.

It was a pretty good game, but if it were an FF it would've been panned even more than XIII (which was a better game).

To be fair, Mistwalker didn't have a studio as great as Square Enix behind them. Playing devil's advocate, HAD Sakaguchi never made TSW and being disgraced because of it, if he was STILL with Square and SQUARE actually made Lost Odysseey AS a FF sequel, I'm pretty sure a lot of the polish and art gripes would've been solved. This is basically in question, if Square was to make Lost Odyssey instead of FFXIII AS a FF, would LO, as a FF, be superior to FFXIII. Given the FF treatment, maybe have Nomura as the main character designer, Yusuke Naora as the main art director, Uematsu AND other composers contributing to the game(maybe Hamauzu, Mizuta and such), even with the more simplistic story, I DO think it would be superior.

I doubt it. If SE produced LO they would've ended up making the same mistakes with that game as they did with XIII (i.e. catering to FPS gamers and favoring graphics over exploration), leaving it without what made it fun in the first place (exploration reminiscent of an old-school RPG) and with an inferior battle system and story than the actual XIII.

This is all hypothetical of course, but I suspect the game would've ended up worse. It would definitely get more hate though, merely as a result of it being part of the FF series.
---
La Illaha Illa Allah, Muhammad Rasul Allah
#13AshleyRiot223Posted 7/23/2013 5:46:22 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#14GigantLuffyPosted 7/23/2013 5:46:43 PM
Prompto 3======D Kaim Argonar >>>>> Lightning

There, now this topic is relevant to FFXV.
---
Official Getter Robo of your heart
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy IX and Shin Megaten IV
#15BlazingRainPosted 7/23/2013 5:49:19 PM
heartlesshero17 posted...

Not gonna lie, I always thought this. Though those dreams were easily my favorite part of the game anyways. I quit LO on disc 4 but just loved the dreams. Mistwalker needs to do something like that again. Imo those were really well written.

Though even in game, I kinda liked Kaim more then Lightning. Coming from some one who quit on this game

I could see why, since Kaim doesn't stand out much in the game and Lightning can be pretty annoying in XIII.

It wasn't anyone from Mistwalker who wrote the Dreams, by the way, but rather Kiyoshi Shigematsu. I do agree that they should use that concept again though.
---
#16heartlesshero17Posted 7/23/2013 6:02:53 PM
BlazingRain posted...

I could see why, since Kaim doesn't stand out much in the game and Lightning can be pretty annoying in XIII.

It wasn't anyone from Mistwalker who wrote the Dreams, by the way, but rather Kiyoshi Shigematsu. I do agree that they should use that concept again though.

I had no real problem with Lightning(in FFXIII), but Kaim was just a lot more of an interesting person overall

And yeah I figured that out awhile ago. It didn't shock me that it was a different writer just cause of how different it felt from the writing in the actual game. Kind of wish the guy who did the stories would just work on an entire game, as those stories were consistently good and made Kaim a better character. Why didn't they just hire that guy as the full time writer? Whenever I talk about this game I always praise that aspect despite me not liking it enough to even finish the game. Cause those parts were really well done imo
---
Pain, first in the world to beat Penance in FFX International NSG!
^ it will happen!!!!
#17BlazingRainPosted 7/23/2013 7:06:56 PM
BlazingRain posted...

I had no real problem with Lightning(in FFXIII), but Kaim was just a lot more of an interesting person overall

And yeah I figured that out awhile ago. It didn't shock me that it was a different writer just cause of how different it felt from the writing in the actual game. Kind of wish the guy who did the stories would just work on an entire game, as those stories were consistently good and made Kaim a better character. Why didn't they just hire that guy as the full time writer? Whenever I talk about this game I always praise that aspect despite me not liking it enough to even finish the game. Cause those parts were really well done imo

It's probably because of the differences that exist between writing stories and writing video game scripts.

He's a short story writer and probably has no experience writing a video game script. A lot of the themes and stories that he wrote wouldn't work for a video game story too.
---
#18AevenathPosted 7/23/2013 7:26:06 PM
My waifu Lalafell>Lightning
---
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/4941/8lpf.png
#19AesopRockzPosted 7/23/2013 7:50:55 PM
100x Kaim>>>>>>>Lightning.
It isn't even close.
#20Strife_TenpouinPosted 7/23/2013 8:43:16 PM
BlazingRain posted...
No and no.

This.

And it can be applied to the entire game's story. Actual game story = hideous. Dreams = awesome.
---
Time fades even legend.