Least favorite Final Fantasy and why?

#81gamingratPosted 7/25/2013 9:21:39 PM
of the main 12 games (MMOs don't count for me) the only one I haven't beaten is IX. for some reason I just couldn't seem to get into it, it was actually a chore for me to play. however that is not my choice. my choice is III. without a doubt, III is the second worst game I have ever played, and if it had been worth more money when I finally got around to beating it, I would have done the same thing to it that I did for my least favorite game. Some of the things I disliked about 3 were

No saving in the dungeons. at least when 1 and 2 were remade they fixed that problem

bland characters. the only two I can remember by name from 3 are Cid (who is in almost every final fantasy game in some way) and Cloud of Darkness (who I remember from Dissidia)

The job system. Now I don't hate the job system at all, in fact, the ways it works in V is one of the reasons I like that game. my problem with it is that it punishes you for deciding to change your class

Was the first game in the series to start the tend of "hey you know that guy you have been hunting down the entire game? well hes not the real bad guy" some of the games that do this are IV with Zeromus, IX with Necron and to a much lesser extent VIII with Ultemicia. and the funniest part of this is, of III, IV and IX who was the representative for Chaos from these games? Square put who they thought best fit the role of a villain in their story. For IV that was Golbez and IX it was Kuja, who had been present for most of the game. For III they put Cloud of Darkness, who was only in the game for the last 10 minutes, and not Xande, who was the villain for most of the game.

ok, rants over for now
---
GT:gamingrat91
Final Fantasy IV is the best in the series
#82mega1343Posted 7/25/2013 9:35:39 PM
gamingrat posted...

Was the first game in the series to start the tend of "hey you know that guy you have been hunting down the entire game? well hes not the real bad guy" some of the games that do this are IX with Necron Square put who they thought best fit the role of a villain in their story. For IX it was Kuja, who had been present for most of the game.

Lol ik a lot of people hate that about FF IX, but in its defense Nercron was only created because Kuja destroyed the crystal. Necron is death itself it only showed up because Kuja was afraid to die. It wasn't really an antagonist.
---
SamG528
#83celebpoisonPosted 7/26/2013 6:22:45 AM
I enjoyed every FF game, with X being my favorite.

So my least favorite has to be XIII. I didnt mind the linearity, but it was executed very poorly. I didnt get the story right away and while the battle system was fun, i thought that it lacked diversity. cast was good but no memorable NPCs. Post-endgame was just fighting, fighting, fighting... and grinding.

While I also didnt get the story of XII, the gameplay was just awesome to me. I havent played it since 5 years but I remember that I really enjoy the monster hunting and the vast exploration (i was so happy and overwhelmed when I found Adrammalech (spelling?)) Post-endgame was awesome too.
#84TehAssasinPosted 7/26/2013 6:34:39 AM
FFT-Fan posted...
donkeyjack posted...
Strife_Tenpouin posted...
FFXIII.

Terrible story, insufferable characters, cringe-worthy script, bland setting, bland music, bad gameplay (even though the battle system has a solid foundation and can be fun, there are a lot of issues going against it as well).

---
We live in a world where Time and Eternity gets a release outside of Japan and Final Fantasy Type-0 doesn't.
#85Elice_CarolPosted 7/26/2013 10:18:43 AM
I don't think there's any that I don't like, so I guess I'll say that XIII is the one I like the least. I was playing XII the other day and the amount of freedom in it is amazing, but for a next gen game XIII was the opposite in that it limited you so much. I wanted to see the sights of Cocoon and Gran Pulse, but by the end you can only freely explore Eden for the former, and the amount of locations in Gran Pulse doesn't really do justice to how large it's supposed to be.
---
"The only thing that gets me high is the musky scent of my enemy's fear.'' - Stephen Colbert
http://s1136.photobucket.com/user/Elice_Carol/library/
#86dsb333Posted 7/26/2013 12:04:08 PM
MetalKeiya posted...
It's a trope from TV Tropes. It basically means something was cool/amazing/groundbreaking when it was released back in the day, but if you play/watch/eperience it right now, in retrospect, it's just meh, most likely because you now have games who have taken that formula and improved upon it. Think of how Resident Evil 4's third-person shooting style got heavily outdated when Gears of War improved upon its formula.

Final Fantasy I was amazing/revolutionary/cool back then, but compared to everything that came after it, the game just really shows its age.

I don't know, man. Seinfeld still kicks ass, and does funny way better than many shows today.
---
Dead Rising Survivalist: 16 Days, 18 Hours, 21 Minutes.
Back in the day, I was 16th on Earth! Currently ranked 62nd.
#87Eddie___DeanPosted 7/26/2013 12:47:12 PM
dsb333 posted...
MetalKeiya posted...
It's a trope from TV Tropes. It basically means something was cool/amazing/groundbreaking when it was released back in the day, but if you play/watch/eperience it right now, in retrospect, it's just meh, most likely because you now have games who have taken that formula and improved upon it. Think of how Resident Evil 4's third-person shooting style got heavily outdated when Gears of War improved upon its formula.

Final Fantasy I was amazing/revolutionary/cool back then, but compared to everything that came after it, the game just really shows its age.

I don't know, man. Seinfeld still kicks ass, and does funny way better than many shows today.

Agreed
#88FFT-FanPosted 8/2/2013 12:26:57 AM
Eddie___Dean posted...
dsb333 posted...
MetalKeiya posted...

Agreed
#89Evil_SandwichPosted 8/2/2013 3:36:59 AM
FF VII.

Overrated and the ugly graphics hurt my eyes.
#90SnuffSevenfoldXPosted 8/2/2013 6:37:47 AM
Although I enjoyed them all....

IX.

I still enjoyed it but ultimately it's my least favourite because I enjoyed VI, VII, VIII etc because I went into them with new eyes...but then everyone told me that IX is the best, I should enjoy it etc and...eh.
---
In a world where one man wanted orange, society deemed that he get lemon-lime...
Soda just got real.