Your opinion on Tetsuya Nomura?

#21Neutron15Posted 7/30/2013 4:59:18 PM
overrated IMO
---
I WISH AGNI'S PHILOSOPHY BECOMES FINAL FANTASY XVI
#22rpglover13Posted 7/30/2013 5:06:14 PM
I love his games and such. Love KH, and pretty much anything he has been involved with. But he has a bad habit of making his designs too similar, such as the Noctis-throne portrait and the new KH1.5 Sora-throne cover. Also, his sequels can sometimes suffer due to his ambition with story-telling. All-in-all, he's a much better leader for SE than Toriyama, but he could take a look at his past work and learn from mistakes.
#23Emperor_EvulzPosted 7/30/2013 5:54:16 PM
MetalKeiya posted...
He's alright. For one thing, even if Kingdom Hearts essentially opens more plots than it closes with every game it releases, you can't deny that he knows how to keep us hooked onto a series (you just need to see/hear/feel the internet's reaction to Kingdom Hearts III being announced to know such things).

Story and plot-wise, I think he's one of the better creators in the Japanese industry, even if Westerners find his contributions a little too... emotionally-charged, to say the least (again, this isn't something you really encounter with the Japanese demographic). His biggest weakess, though, as shown above in the KH example, is that like Hideo Kojima, he knows how to start a story, but is very bad at ending it. Advent Children (especially Complete) went on for too long, and contained far too many unnecessary scenes, and Kingdom Hearts took 4 handheld games (Chain of Memories, 358/2 Days, Coded, Birth by Sleep) to properly explain the whole shebang that is Kingdom Hearts II. If the "story of Versus" hint at the end of the trailer says anything about XV, it's pretty much that we're going to expect XV to end in a non-ending, to be continued on XV-2, XV-3, and so on.

When it comes to art style, it's a real love-it or hate-it. While his style has progressed through the years (compare his original VII designs with all of the Dissidia artwork), and it is too "Japanese" for a good fraction of the West, his attention to detail (especially belts, zippers and accessories) prevent his style from being too plain or too boring in my opinion. In fact, if you go through any of the FF games he's done the art for, there's fairly little overlap in his characters' appearances, largely because of his attention to detail. In fact, the only characters that look about the same would be Noctis and younger Zack, or Reno and Axel, and the way their faces and expressions are drawn already stylistically differentiates them.

So yes, tl;dr: He's not perfect, but he's also not terrible. I have confidence in him on the XV project.

This seems pretty reasonable. I agree.
#24AshleyRiot223Posted 7/30/2013 5:57:30 PM
Romangelo posted...
an character designer with godlike drawing talent (only under other people control).

terrible story writer.

terrible concept designer.

terrible fashion sense.

terrible character designer when he's on his own.

Actually no, like i said the dude has awesome talent alone or under somebody's command.

aaaand the rest does apply.
---
"I, too, have played my part. Let us leave the rest to this Ashley. He is the one you have chosen. ...I know what must be done." Duke Aldous Bardorba
#25maxxxximumPosted 7/30/2013 5:59:09 PM
I like most of his work. Especially his Dissidia character art. Nomura doing Amano based art is just gorgeous.
---
Stop your ignorance of Final Fantasy XI's awesome story. See it here.
http://ffxicutscenes.blogspot.com/
#26DanahellPosted 7/30/2013 6:19:49 PM
maxxxximum posted...
I like most of his work. Especially his Dissidia character art. Nomura doing Amano based art is just gorgeous.

I agree with this, it's not that I don't like his original designs (most of them at least) but I think he works better when reinterpreting Amano's designs or tries to emulate his style. Edea is the product of said emulation and I think she's one of Nomura's best original designs.

As a monster designer he's quite good on his own actually
---
American beer is like making love in a canoe. It's ****ing close to water
#27FreshSushiPosted 7/30/2013 7:52:53 PM
6.5/10
---
Miyazaki...Seriously Namco....why....wwaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiii
2014: DS II, The Evil Within, Ultra SSF4
#28KenshinXSlayerPosted 7/30/2013 8:22:24 PM
Nomura-san is the King of Zippers. It seems like all of his characters have zippers everywhere. I'm being facetious, of course. When it comes to game artists, Akihiko Yoshida and Yoshitaka Amano are my favorites. Nomura is OK to me.
---
Currently Playing-Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate
Waiting On-Final Fantasy XIV: ARR, Dark Souls II
#29TehAssasinPosted 7/30/2013 8:37:11 PM
A poll result regarding the general view on Nomura's character design:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/66538817

Minus a few obvious bad ones like Nooj, Seymour and Tidus, I think he's a good designer with some tendency for edgy character appearance and clothing. I like his work in XV, because many of the important characters so far looked more mature than typical Final Fantasy with exception of Stella (even she doesn't look like that one annoying jail bait chick ala Yuffie and Rikku). Perhaps co-designer, Roberto Ferrari helped to make the characters in general more western influenced and less anime-like.

Directing wise, I've not touched all of the KH handheld titles, but out of the ones I've played, I enjoyed them. Wasn't bothered by the story getting excessively complex due to how fun the battles are as well as the charm of the disney characters and worlds and the musics.
---
We live in a world where Time and Eternity gets a release outside of Japan and Final Fantasy Type-0 doesn't.
#30Lelouch71Posted 7/30/2013 9:36:52 PM
-Overrated by his fans but decent as a director.
-I like some of his character designs despite his obsession with belts and zippers
-He has some neat ideas

Over all I don't have any beef with him.
---
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"