The numbering of Final Fantasy games is hurting its reception

#1FuzWuz_v2Posted 7/30/2013 1:45:41 PM
Seriously, Final Fantasy XV just got revealed, and this is the fifteenth Final Fantasy.

The GameFAQs, NeoGAF, and other communities know about the franchise, and therefore know that every numbered entry is different from the previous entry. Essentially, they are wholly new IPs that carry over only a few elements (crystals, summons, Chocobo, etc.).

However, a newcomer can easily just look at XV and be confused about it (a kid probably won't know what Roman numerals are) or assume that it's the fifteenth sequel to a franchise they don't know much about.

Also, there's this whole idea of "new IPs" showing how creative a publisher or developer is. Even though Final Fantasy games differ from each other, the whole connotation of a FIFTEENTH game in a series will only be a detriment to the potential userbase.

I think that Square should just make new IPs instead of announcing the nth Final Fantasy game. It's only going to hurt sales as future games are announced and revealed (can you imagine Final Fantasy XXX?).

What do you guys think?
---
www.youtube.com/user/FuzWuz
^^My YouTube account. Please go there and support it. Fangirls appreciated. Thank you.
#2GoombacrusherPosted 7/30/2013 1:47:27 PM
*shrug* They still sell well anyways, I'd say it's hurt more by the declining quality in recent year
---
King of the Zelda: A Link Between Worlds Board
http://i.minus.com/is83Deybz1eyw.gif
#3DoGCyNPosted 7/30/2013 1:49:45 PM
Goombacrusher posted...
*shrug* They still sell well anyways, I'd say it's hurt more by the declining quality in recent year

---
2 Corinthians 12:7-10
#4ThamauturgePosted 7/30/2013 1:51:53 PM
The people that don't know what it means are casual idiots that wouldn't buy it anyways.
---
Official Wiegraf Folles of the FFXV board
Playing: Silent Hill Downpour, SoulCalibur V, Devil May Cry Collection------- PSN: Thamauturge
#5ChIoe_ValensPosted 7/30/2013 1:57:07 PM
Thamauturge posted...
The people that don't know what it means are casual idiots that wouldn't buy it anyways.

Funny you say that, when FF is a casual JRPG series to begin with.
---
The official Celes of the FFXV board.
#6FFT-FanPosted 7/30/2013 2:06:49 PM
DoGCyN posted...
Goombacrusher posted...
#7grand_kaizerPosted 7/30/2013 4:26:17 PM
FFT-Fan posted...
DoGCyN posted...
Goombacrusher posted...

---
"I am the Truest Repairman!"
#8Dinah7Posted 7/30/2013 6:03:42 PM
FFT-Fan posted...
DoGCyN posted...
Goombacrusher posted...
#9The_Undying_84Posted 7/30/2013 6:25:00 PM
FuzWuz_v2 posted...
(a kid probably won't know what Roman numerals are)

I don't even want to play the same game as anyone who doesn't understand Roman numerals.
---
PSN: TheUndying84
#10DanahellPosted 7/30/2013 6:28:19 PM
ChIoe_Valens posted...
Thamauturge posted...

Funny you say that, when FF is a casual JRPG series to begin with.

That just goes to show how casual or newb gamer one must be to not know what it means.
---
American beer is like making love in a canoe. It's ****ing close to water