The numbering of Final Fantasy games is hurting its reception

#11mega1343Posted 7/30/2013 6:31:00 PM
The_Undying_84 posted...
FuzWuz_v2 posted...
(a kid probably won't know what Roman numerals are)

I don't even want to play the same game as anyone who doesn't understand Roman numerals.

LMAO. Agreed.
---
SamG528
#12SfandiPosted 7/30/2013 8:11:38 PM
You could have said the same thing about VII which followed III in the US.

XIII sold fine and there were also many new players with that game.
#13ExdeathVoidLordPosted 7/30/2013 8:16:11 PM
I think the name recognition of another numbered Final Fantasy game would generate more sales than would a new IP that wouldn't confuse people because there's no number at the end of it.
---
The Official Exdeath of the Internet.
http://i.imgur.com/Vgmi3.gif
#14dkgerbil2Posted 7/30/2013 9:36:45 PM
There are multiple franchises that have numbered entries that do not adhere to one linear narrative, so this would not be a problem that solely affects Square-Enix. You're vastly underestimating the intelligence or logical reasoning skills of the casual gamer market. You can really just look to the Grand Theft Auto series for a great example in which casual gamers don't think you need to play the previous entries to play a new one.
---
All my friends are in bar bands.
#15boman5000Posted 7/30/2013 11:30:35 PM
ChIoe_Valens posted...
Thamauturge posted...
The people that don't know what it means are casual idiots that wouldn't buy it anyways.

Funny you say that, when FF is a casual JRPG series to begin with.

lol
#16jessevalePosted 7/31/2013 1:11:43 AM
ChIoe_Valens posted...
Thamauturge posted...
The people that don't know what it means are casual idiots that wouldn't buy it anyways.

Funny you say that, when FF is a casual JRPG series to begin with.

Apples to oranges man. FF being mainstream and relatively casual still doesn't make it as casual as what mom buys her kids or what's popular for the Xbox crowd like CoD. Sheesh.

But you're right, any FF fan that thinks they're part of a super cool niche gaming crowd is hilarious.
---
Eagerly awaiting FFXIV's inevitable failure. Even a fantastic game cannot withstand initial bad press & the long-dead MMO format. Sad but true.
#17XenilPosted 7/31/2013 2:51:03 AM
FuzWuz_v2 posted...
However, a newcomer can easily just look at XV and be confused about it (a kid probably won't know what Roman numerals are) or assume that it's the fifteenth sequel to a franchise they don't know much about.

I don't think a kid will care what "Ex-Vee" stands for.
#18nfobiaPosted 7/31/2013 5:09:13 AM
A kid who doesn't know what Roman numerals are should go back to school and stay away from video games. Though I kinda understand your point that not all people know each title is different setting and not a sequel. Making new IPs is pretty bad idea because Final Fantasy is such a huge brand which alone sells really good.