Can someone list all the real world settings applied to the FF series?

#1darkqueenhelbaPosted 7/30/2013 5:34:23 PM
Starting from the first and ending with FFXV. Thank you.
---
My response to trolls; GET A JOB!!!
#2maxxxximumPosted 7/30/2013 6:45:14 PM
You mean like actual real world places that appear in FF games? OK, here's a list.

That's all the games I can think of but I think it covers everything.
---
Stop your ignorance of Final Fantasy XI's awesome story. See it here.
http://ffxicutscenes.blogspot.com/
#3darkqueenhelba(Topic Creator)Posted 7/30/2013 7:03:27 PM
maxxxximum posted...
You mean like actual real world places that appear in FF games? OK, here's a list.

That's all the games I can think of but I think it covers everything.

I meant more like certain eras of history. Industrial revolution, Renaissance, Information age, Reconstruction era, etc.
---
My response to trolls; GET A JOB!!!
#4MagnaderAlphaPosted 7/30/2013 8:49:17 PM
FFI-V are sorta fantastical medieval period with some technological advancements(considerable technology, as there's airships, tanks and robotics).

FFVI setting seems more Steampunk/18th century-inspired.

FFVII seems, and this is my opinion from history, seems like it's a merging of modern Cyberpunk in a sorta-early 20th century world(Upper Midgar and Junon, particularly, have early 1900s look to them despite the presence of technology). Some vehicles, cars, planes, trains, are even modeled after old models. The world OUTSIDE of the Shinra cities is more circa 19th Century. Wutai's still basically pre-Westernized Japan(or even pre-Westernized Asia in general). Corel, before it's destruction, was a typical "Wild West" style mining town. Nibelheim, Rocket Town, Icicle Lodge, Kalm, they are all small European-esque villages(Alpine-styled, kinda like the style you see if you go to Fantasyland at Disneyland).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/33/Fantasyland_Bavarian_architecture.jpg

Something simlar to FFVII is happening with XV, but the gap in contrast between the cities and the rural(outer) areas is greater(instead of, like FFVII, the rural being 1800s inspired and the cities being early-mid 1900s inspired, the cities are modern inspired and the rural/outer areas are medieval inspired).

FFVIII, I tend to think is inspired by a mesh of settings. You look at Edea and Deling City and you think of the 1920s or early 20th Century(Dollet, even harkens back to then). Winhill is very rustic, country town(1800s). Others have somewhat an old mixed with modern feel. Esthar is highly futuristic.

FFIX, somewhat fanciful medieval, with more Renaissance and Enlightenment spanning, perhaps inspired by not only classic fairy tales of France, Germany and Italy, but the years between the 1300s-1700s.

FFX, South eastern Asia, Okinawa and some of India, as well as some futuristic ideas.

FFXI, generally medieval.

FFXII, some futurisic technology and machinery mixed in with overly inspired Mediterranean vibes. Places like Spain, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Israel and Syria acted as heavy inspiration for the locations in FFXII. As did New York City(for Archades), oddly enough. Oddly enough, I think this is the most earliest set FF game in the series. Usually, in FF, we are always placed in a world that exists hundreds or thousands of years after some great ancient civilization of high technology. FFXII(according to FFT) is supposed to BE that civilization(even though in FFXII, they also refer to ANOTHER technologically advanced age the predated even THAT).

FFXIII, pretty fanciful sci-fi/futuristic world. I don't think I can see much real-world influences. It's mainly like if you told Isamu to just "go crazy and design whatever he thinks looks cool and futuristic".

FFXIV, Similar to FFXI, though seemingly more tech-heavy world.

FFXV, as I mentioned above, it seems to be taking literal inspirations from our world. Saint Mark's Basilica, Shinjuku and Manchester seem to be a few real world locations that are inspiring locations within the game. The setting's basically an era clash between modern cities and medieval lands.
#5ShinGundamPosted 7/30/2013 8:58:34 PM
MagnaderAlpha posted...
FFI-V are sorta fantastical medieval period with some technological advancements(considerable technology, as there's airships, tanks and robotics).

FFVI setting seems more Steampunk/18th century-inspired.

FFVII seems, and this is my opinion from history, seems like it's a merging of modern Cyberpunk in a sorta-early 20th century world(Upper Midgar and Junon, particularly, have early 1900s look to them despite the presence of technology). Some vehicles, cars, planes, trains, are even modeled after old models. The world OUTSIDE of the Shinra cities is more circa 19th Century. Wutai's still basically pre-Westernized Japan(or even pre-Westernized Asia in general). Corel, before it's destruction, was a typical "Wild West" style mining town. Nibelheim, Rocket Town, Icicle Lodge, Kalm, they are all small European-esque villages(Alpine-styled, kinda like the style you see if you go to Fantasyland at Disneyland).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/33/Fantasyland_Bavarian_architecture.jpg

Something simlar to FFVII is happening with XV, but the gap in contrast between the cities and the rural(outer) areas is greater(instead of, like FFVII, the rural being 1800s inspired and the cities being early-mid 1900s inspired, the cities are modern inspired and the rural/outer areas are medieval inspired).

FFVIII, I tend to think is inspired by a mesh of settings. You look at Edea and Deling City and you think of the 1920s or early 20th Century(Dollet, even harkens back to then). Winhill is very rustic, country town(1800s). Others have somewhat an old mixed with modern feel. Esthar is highly futuristic.

FFIX, somewhat fanciful medieval, with more Renaissance and Enlightenment spanning, perhaps inspired by not only classic fairy tales of France, Germany and Italy, but the years between the 1300s-1700s.

FFX, South eastern Asia, Okinawa and some of India, as well as some futuristic ideas.

FFXI, generally medieval.

FFXII, some futurisic technology and machinery mixed in with overly inspired Mediterranean vibes. Places like Spain, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Israel and Syria acted as heavy inspiration for the locations in FFXII. As did New York City(for Archades), oddly enough. Oddly enough, I think this is the most earliest set FF game in the series. Usually, in FF, we are always placed in a world that exists hundreds or thousands of years after some great ancient civilization of high technology. FFXII(according to FFT) is supposed to BE that civilization(even though in FFXII, they also refer to ANOTHER technologically advanced age the predated even THAT).

FFXIII, pretty fanciful sci-fi/futuristic world. I don't think I can see much real-world influences. It's mainly like if you told Isamu to just "go crazy and design whatever he thinks looks cool and futuristic".

FFXIV, Similar to FFXI, though seemingly more tech-heavy world.

FFXV, as I mentioned above, it seems to be taking literal inspirations from our world. Saint Mark's Basilica, Shinjuku and Manchester seem to be a few real world locations that are inspiring locations within the game. The setting's basically an era clash between modern cities and medieval lands.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/slow-clap-gif.gif

This is such an excellent post.