so wait FFXII is all of a sudden a good game

#1xerogamePosted 8/9/2013 3:44:34 PM
I remember when FFXII came out it as bashed to hell and seen as the game that destroyed final fantasy.

the negative reaction to FFXII is why FFXIII turned out the way it did people wanted another FFX.

It makes me wonder if people will start looking at FFXIII in a more positive light after FF15 comes out lol

FF fans are starting to get just as bad as Zelda fans
#2theofficefan99Posted 8/9/2013 3:49:38 PM
Although I am definitely still in the "not fond of FFXII" camp, please don't start this crap.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#3FF_FinisherPosted 8/9/2013 3:54:10 PM
xerogame posted...
I remember when FFXII came out it as bashed to hell and seen as the game that destroyed final fantasy.

the negative reaction to FFXII is why FFXIII turned out the way it did people wanted another FFX.

It makes me wonder if people will start looking at FFXIII in a more positive light after FF15 comes out lol

As far as I remember, FF XII performed critically and financially well, so are you just pulling this unprecedented hyperbole out of your pooper?
---
Life is a cosmic giggle on the breath of the universe 1-28-13
#4xerogame(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2013 3:55:52 PM
FF_Finisher posted...
xerogame posted...

As far as I remember, FF XII performed critically and financially well, so are you just pulling this unprecedented hyperbole out of your pooper?

Call of Duty is both critically and finacially recieved. does that mean it has positive fan reaction...no

FFXII got good reviews but fan reaction was mixed at best
#5theofficefan99Posted 8/9/2013 3:56:40 PM
FF_Finisher posted...
xerogame posted...

TC is talking about the reception in the fanbase itself. As someone who was there, it was hell much like XIII's release, though XIII's release was even worse.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#6FF_FinisherPosted 8/9/2013 4:04:01 PM
Huh? How is the series doing so well, if the fans are so unhappy? If the fans aren't buying the games, then who is? How does that work?
---
Life is a cosmic giggle on the breath of the universe 1-28-13
#7FreshSushiPosted 8/9/2013 4:12:29 PM
FF_Finisher posted...
Huh? How is the series doing so well, if the fans are so unhappy? If the fans aren't buying the games, then who is? How does that work?

The games are doing fine cause people who actually care will still buy the game cause FF and the plebs who don't care will buy the game cause plebs. It's how the old school jap devs like Capcom stay alive even though ALL of the talent has left and they've been churning out mediocrity since forever.
---
Miyazaki...Seriously Namco....why....wwaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiii
2014: DS II, The Evil Within, Ultra SSF4
#8ThamauturgePosted 8/9/2013 4:14:36 PM
It's been a good game since it was released in 2006 TC. Get with the program here
---
Official Wiegraf Folles of the FFXV board
Playing: Silent Hill Downpour, SoulCalibur V, Devil May Cry Collection------- PSN: Thamauturge
#9zoogelioPosted 8/9/2013 4:17:47 PM
It wasn't all of a sudden. First, both FFIX & FFXII had a bit of a clouded reception at release, the former for its cartoony appearance and medieval setting (remember, after FFVII, a majority of FF fans had arrived in the technological era. Heck, factoring in FFVI's gains, that was an industrial age game, the fans who entered on medieval games were a small number), the latter for its dull story, mostly bland characters (haven't heard complaints about Balthier though) and the gameplay put people off at the time. Many came to expect a great story from FFs and they felt FFXII didn't deliver. Both ended up getting a second look and a newfound appreciation, but with different paths.

The turning point was FFXIII, a game with a very active story, but one that was completely loathed by a fair chunk of those who bought it, leading to FFXII's storyline being seen as perhaps dull, yet ok. It also had very annoying, immature, obnoxious characters. FFXII's dull yet mature characters came to be seen as a refreshing change. And FFXII's extreme non-linearity (it's the most non-linear FF) finally coming to be appreciated as people saw how extremely linear FFXIII was. In fact, FFXIII seemed to drag down FFX's reception a bit as they had similar templates, only FFX was a more scenic journey (I've heard it compared to a bike path) vs. FFXIII's long dark tunnel. Notice both had giant open fields at the end of the journey (Calm Lands, Gran Pulse). Both had active characters & stories, where the world is literally shaped to fit the narrative as opposed to a narrative set in a world. People also came to appreciate how Gambits were set up vs. FFXIII's Paradigm system. Gambits gave a lot more versatility. People also appreciated the huge amount of side content. The game was the king of B-content (sidequests, hunts, Rare Game, etc). If one could get into the game, there was *a lot* to do.

I've seen this change on the FFXII forums. It did start around spring of 2010 and there seemed to be a lot of topics with people saying they revisited the game and found it better than they thought. The common pattern was all were disgruntled FFXIII buyers or people deterred from buying FFXIII by what they heard about it who had bought FFXII and either didn't beat it, losing interest, or beat it once but didn't play it since. All didn't want to wait a few more years for FFXV to come out, so they looked back at the last FF and gave it a second chance and ended up enjoying it. It lasted til early 2012 or so, when it started to ebb down again.

That's what happened.
#10xerogame(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2013 4:21:13 PM
zoogelio posted...
It wasn't all of a sudden. First, both FFIX & FFXII had a bit of a clouded reception at release, the former for its cartoony appearance and medieval setting (remember, after FFVII, a majority of FF fans had arrived in the technological era. Heck, factoring in FFVI's gains, that was an industrial age game, the fans who entered on medieval games were a small number), the latter for its dull story, mostly bland characters (haven't heard complaints about Balthier though) and the gameplay put people off at the time. Many came to expect a great story from FFs and they felt FFXII didn't deliver. Both ended up getting a second look and a newfound appreciation, but with different paths.

The turning point was FFXIII, a game with a very active story, but one that was completely loathed by a fair chunk of those who bought it, leading to FFXII's storyline being seen as perhaps dull, yet ok. It also had very annoying, immature, obnoxious characters. FFXII's dull yet mature characters came to be seen as a refreshing change. And FFXII's extreme non-linearity (it's the most non-linear FF) finally coming to be appreciated as people saw how extremely linear FFXIII was. In fact, FFXIII seemed to drag down FFX's reception a bit as they had similar templates, only FFX was a more scenic journey (I've heard it compared to a bike path) vs. FFXIII's long dark tunnel. Notice both had giant open fields at the end of the journey (Calm Lands, Gran Pulse). Both had active characters & stories, where the world is literally shaped to fit the narrative as opposed to a narrative set in a world. People also came to appreciate how Gambits were set up vs. FFXIII's Paradigm system. Gambits gave a lot more versatility. People also appreciated the huge amount of side content. The game was the king of B-content (sidequests, hunts, Rare Game, etc). If one could get into the game, there was *a lot* to do.

I've seen this change on the FFXII forums. It did start around spring of 2010 and there seemed to be a lot of topics with people saying they revisited the game and found it better than they thought. The common pattern was all were disgruntled FFXIII buyers or people deterred from buying FFXIII by what they heard about it who had bought FFXII and either didn't beat it, losing interest, or beat it once but didn't play it since. All didn't want to wait a few more years for FFXV to come out, so they looked back at the last FF and gave it a second chance and ended up enjoying it. It lasted til early 2012 or so, when it started to ebb down again.

That's what happened.

One thing I am glad that SE isnt afraid to try new things. IMO FFXV really shouldnt be anything like either FFXII or FFXIII