Will I enjoy XV's battle system if I enjoyed XIII's the most?

#1Gamegeek123Posted 8/17/2013 10:15:18 AM
FF has traditionally had the most stale and boring battle systems. The only thing I liked to do was abuse the power of grinding until I basically one-shotted everything - that was the only fun I had before I quit halfway through the games because I lost interest.

FF's made up for this by having some interesting customization systems, such as relic dynamics, materia, sphere grid, license, etc. I especially remember playing around with materia for hours.

However, FFXIII broke this trend of bad battle system, good (sometimes bad as well) customization. Those adjectives reversed so XIII had an amazing battle system but sadly linear customization to compensate. However I never had so much fun with the battle system in FF history (except maybe Tactics for its strategy charm). The optima change mechanic simply blew me away.

It was unique, it was a bold approach, it worked brilliantly. The real-time role changing aspect made is ingenuous. Part of the reason why I actually finished FFXIII was because the battles were so challenging. In the heat of the battle I had to keep up the pace and quickly select the most optimal abilities to execute for each turn (auto-battle is a massive failure and I only use it to queue a full turn right after an ATB reset, otherwise it made very bad choices). It was the only FF where I actually did some sort of restriction run to further challenge myself.

A lot of people never really understood how brilliant the battle system really is, especially those who subject themselves to the "Press X and occasional L1" auto-battle treatment. I can say that in past FF's I simply "Press X" to win, because past FFs (except 4 and 5) had little to no challenge at all. I never had nearly as many game overs on all past FFs I played combined compared to FFXIII. It's what you make out of the battle system is what you get out of it.

Many have neglected FFXIII's deep mechanics. Each role has its own passive bonus, and you can use that to your advantage such as switching midway through an attack from a BLA to an ATK to get that massive damage spike, which makes Death spamming so very powerful (Death is actually useful in this game too!).

One can argue that the battle system is also very linear in approach, where you go BLA BLA BLA TIDAL WAVE until the opponent is staggered and you switch from 3 BLA to ATK to actually launch and damage opponent. Yes that is true indeed if you just focus your eyes on the stagger bar. You must realize what the stagger bar really is. You must understand what those numbers mean! It's damage amplification, plain and simple! You can say this and that, you can say that and this, no matter how much BLAH BLAH BLAH TIDAL WAVE you can talk trash about how the XIII system is flawed then yes I agree it is flawed yet there is also a fallacy to that which one may say that it is flawed but as always there can always be applications of such and such the same argument in general that can be applied to other FFs and such is the way. I can simply say - Press Attack Attack Attack oh look the machine's weak to thunder let us spam thunder and cure, victory is ours no problem it's all the same same same and same!!!

FFXIII not only practiced your reaction and timing to blocking fatal attacks, but it also

FFXIII's grinding was so much fun I could spend days farming turtles because the battle system never got boring at all.

So my ranking would be: VI > XIII > III > T> VII > 4 > 5 > 1 > 9 > 10 > 12 = 2

(The games in numerals were the only games of the series that I actually had the drive to beat. In other words, the games without roman numerals are not FF games to me in my book. Final Fantasy is supposed to be an RPG that you beat to the end. FFs that do not drive me to beat the game are not FFs)

I don't want to see any more **** like 2 4 5 10 12, let's hope XV is good as I already consider it a roman numeral, it is subject to change though.
---
Shogunate
#2UltimaXOmegaPosted 8/17/2013 10:32:18 AM
Play the first Kingdom Hearts game.
If you like it then yes you will like Final Fantasy XV.
---
The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic-Joseph Stalin
Official Black Mage Vivi of the Final Fantasy XV board
#3theofficefan99Posted 8/17/2013 11:33:24 AM
I'm not reading any of that, but er... it's very obvious that this game and FFXIII have completely different gameplay styles. I dunno, have you played Action RPG's before? The Last Story? Infinite Undiscovery? Tales of? Star Ocean? Kingdom Hearts? Ys? If you've played some of these and liked their gameplay style, there's a good chance that you'll like FFXV's gameplay.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#4AshleyRiot223Posted 8/17/2013 12:16:22 PM
theofficefan99 posted...
I'm not reading any of that, but er... it's very obvious that this game and FFXIII have completely different gameplay styles. I dunno, have you played Action RPG's before? The Last Story? Infinite Undiscovery? Tales of? Star Ocean? Kingdom Hearts? Ys? If you've played some of these and liked their gameplay style, there's a good chance that you'll like FFXV's gameplay.

What asinine post. You do this a lot. It's rude.

TC, FFXV combat leans more towards KH then FFXIII.
---
"Please explain yourself. Although I know your explanation will be stupid, filled with ignorance, or both."--theofficefan99
#5Gamegeek123(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2013 12:39:08 PM
AshleyRiot223 posted...
theofficefan99 posted...

Excellent.

I love Tales

I love Kingdom Hearts

I loveLast Story and Ys

I love Ni No Kuni

I think FFXV's battle system will even surpass the legendary FFXIII's battle system then
---
Shogunate
#6theofficefan99Posted 8/17/2013 12:41:25 PM
AshleyRiot223 posted...
theofficefan99 posted...

It's not asinine at all, perhaps only the bolded part was, but I wanted to let him know I didn't read any of that.

And lol please shut up you are the rudest person and biggest troll on this board.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#7theofficefan99Posted 8/17/2013 12:42:01 PM
Gamegeek123 posted...
AshleyRiot223 posted...
theofficefan99 posted...

Excellent.

I love Tales

I love Kingdom Hearts

I loveLast Story and Ys

I love Ni No Kuni

I think FFXV's battle system will even surpass the legendary FFXIII's battle system then

Cool, then I think it's safe to say that you'll definitely enjoy FFXV's battle system.
---
#8H0PSinPosted 8/17/2013 12:53:58 PM
Gamegeek123 posted...
AshleyRiot223 posted...
theofficefan99 posted...

Excellent.

I love Tales

I love Kingdom Hearts

I loveLast Story and Ys

I love Ni No Kuni

legendary

No.

No.......

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just..............no.
---
TOPANGA!
"'You miss 100% of the shots you don't take' -Wayne Gretzky" -Michael Scott
#9ShinGundamPosted 8/17/2013 1:15:08 PM
What do you think about LRFFXIII? It use same battle engine from XIII without autobattle command so you might like it.
#10stmstrPosted 8/17/2013 1:40:08 PM
AshleyRiot223 posted...
theofficefan99 posted...

Shut the f*** up.