SE's game directors should be banned from writing anything

#1wolf riderPosted 10/3/2013 2:45:30 AM
Just because you can manage a team of developers, design a battle system, etc. doesn't mean you're good at writing a story, characters or dialogue.

Hire someone competent.

I don't want to hear more light and darkness non-nonsensical gibberish that fanboys misinterpret as deep and meaningful.
---
You don't get to say you're staying true to the franchise if you MAKE JUMPING A CONTEXT-SENSITIVE ACTION! ~ Me on the Thief reboot.
#2TehAssasinPosted 10/3/2013 4:24:13 AM
Yep, we should strip their ability to write anything so that the overall game is incoherent and lack group vision.
#3rapius002Posted 10/3/2013 5:25:25 AM
Eh, sometimes I agree that having dedicated storytellers, similar to how movies use scriptwriters, sometimes the vision is not as cohesive. Say what you will about directors like Christopher Nolan and Darren Aronofski (sp?), but having them co-screenwright the movies they are directing have caused the movies to feel a lot more cohesive, fitting with the creative vision, instead of movies where someone else writes it and they then hire a director for it afterwards. Another example of someone writing and directing and it working out well: Joss Whedon. We will see how things turn out though. There needs to be a balance between the director writing all of it and a second writer contributing. Honestly, I think the Tabata, Nomura, Akiyama balancing act is perfect for this game. Each of them balance each other's weaknesses.
#4KaerumuPosted 10/3/2013 10:38:15 AM
Have you played the games in the original Japanese? It's a pretty tough language to translate.
#5Lea_MondePosted 10/3/2013 10:40:16 AM
rapius002 posted...
Eh, sometimes I agree that having dedicated storytellers, similar to how movies use scriptwriters, sometimes the vision is not as cohesive. Say what you will about directors like Christopher Nolan and Darren Aronofski (sp?), but having them co-screenwright the movies they are directing have caused the movies to feel a lot more cohesive, fitting with the creative vision, instead of movies where someone else writes it and they then hire a director for it afterwards. Another example of someone writing and directing and it working out well: Joss Whedon. We will see how things turn out though. There needs to be a balance between the director writing all of it and a second writer contributing. Honestly, I think the Tabata, Nomura, Akiyama balancing act is perfect for this game. Each of them balance each other's weaknesses.

That's pathetic, bksonic123 alt
---
Wellspring of the Dark.
#6rapius002Posted 10/3/2013 11:01:45 AM
Lea_Monde posted...
rapius002 posted...

That's pathetic, bksonic123 alt

I am... The real slim shady
#7theofficefan99Posted 10/3/2013 11:11:45 AM
wolf rider posted...
Just because you can manage a team of developers, design a battle system, etc. doesn't mean you're good at writing a story, characters or dialogue.

Hire someone competent.

I don't want to hear more light and darkness non-nonsensical gibberish that fanboys misinterpret as deep and meaningful.

There's no light/darkness motif in this game. Just light, which has to do with the door to Etro's realm that opens up each time someone is about to die, IIRC.

And the directors, AKA Nomura and Tabata, aren't writing for this game. The writers are Nojima (VII, VIII, X) and Akiyama.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#8XenilPosted 10/3/2013 11:20:18 AM
Good writers should be hired to oversee the script and story. Concepts, ideas etc could still be handled by the dev team.
#9CokaineCowboy77Posted 10/3/2013 1:22:36 PM
Nomura was one of the base story writers for VII, so it's possible he's a good writer. And Nomura's writing the base story for XV as well right?

Actually, the writing team is essentially the same as VII's. Nojima, Nomura, and Akiyama all wrote for VII. This makes me happy.
---
"When it comes to sex don't test my skills, 'cause my head game got you head over heels" - Lil' Kim
#10cs72Posted 10/3/2013 2:50:02 PM
The fancy Shakespeare motif should help I guess.