SE's game directors should be banned from writing anything

#11zombie_basher13Posted 10/3/2013 6:00:31 PM
Okay...FF is not all "light and darkness nonsensical derpiness" alright. That's mainly Kingdom Hearts so give it a break, it's rated everyone and has heavy Disney influences ingrained into it. FF XII was pretty mature, and X was great. As for XIII, blame Daisuke Watanabe for that. He was the specific script writer. And for XIV, many players in game that I have talked to and myself all agree, the localization and writing for it is top notch.

So quit trollin.
---
Even if Final Fantasy XV is the best FF ever it doesn't excuse the long wait (8+ years).
#12BurdicusPosted 10/3/2013 9:01:59 PM
CokaineCowboy77 posted...
Nomura was one of the base story writers for VII, so it's possible he's a good writer. And Nomura's writing the base story for XV as well right?

Actually, the writing team is essentially the same as VII's. Nojima, Nomura, and Akiyama all wrote for VII. This makes me happy.

Nomura was also the one who came up with the 'school' concept for SeeD and the Gardens in FFVIII. Balamb garden is one of the coolest places in ANY FF, and most people think the school feel of the first disk was the best part of viii.

The guy has some awesome ideas.
---
Currently playing: Ni No Kuni, Dragon's Dogma
Currently replaying: FFVIII, SotC
#13GoombacrusherPosted 10/3/2013 9:48:40 PM
wolf rider posted...
Toriyama should be banned from writing anything

Fix'd
---
Every time I post on GameFAQs, an angel gets its wings.
#14mrklarrydPosted 10/3/2013 10:57:55 PM
Generally speaking, what you're asking them to do, TC, they already do. Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, most of the Final Fantasies...they all had narrative directors. There's only one current project director at Square Enix, to my knowledge, who wears both hats more than once in a blue moon. He just happens to be the worst writer working in this medium and, possibly, any other.
#15TehAssasinPosted 10/3/2013 11:03:30 PM
Nomura was one of the base story writers for VII, so it's possible he's a good writer. And Nomura's writing the base story for XV as well right?

Actually, the writing team is essentially the same as VII's. Nojima, Nomura, and Akiyama all wrote for VII. This makes me happy.

http://flaregamer.com/index.php?p=81&more=1

Details Nomura's involvement in FFVII, VIII and X.
#16mrklarrydPosted 10/3/2013 11:13:27 PM

Not exactly. Nomura and Sakaguchi provided concept design, which isn't exactly the same thing. Concept design is...it's like saying "hey, let's make a movie about a guy whose dreams are being erased," but not actually fleshing any of that out or worrying about structure, characterization, plot, theme, etc.

In terms of actual writing, Nojima did the first draft and a guy by the name of Masato Kato (Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Xenogears) took the final pass.

So you've got two of the four FF7 story people on this project, which isn't too bad, imo.
#17DragoonGriffithPosted 10/4/2013 3:36:32 AM
I'd argue that Masato Kato is lacking here.
With him on board, even I'd lose it on hype for FFXV.

Just look at the games he was involved with. CT, CC and Xenogears being top 10 RPGs in my book.

But yeah, Nojima and Nomura will hopefully do good here. They either do fabulous stuff, or they do not so good, so it will be interesting to see where this will go.
---
Playing: KH2: FM, GTAV, any DQ game I feel like
#18TehAssasinPosted 10/4/2013 4:28:59 AM
mrklarryd posted...

Not exactly. Nomura and Sakaguchi provided concept design, which isn't exactly the same thing. Concept design is...it's like saying "hey, let's make a movie about a guy whose dreams are being erased," but not actually fleshing any of that out or worrying about structure, characterization, plot, theme, etc.

In terms of actual writing, Nojima did the first draft and a guy by the name of Masato Kato (Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Xenogears) took the final pass.

So you've got two of the four FF7 story people on this project, which isn't too bad, imo.

That isn't entirely true. As I posted earlier, although Nomura is mainly credited for his character design role, he IS involved in the storyboard FMV production, providing ideas for the base story of FFVII (he was also the one who suggested the death of Aerith.

Then, Kitase who was the director of FFVII also acted as producer for this game, but has since been removed from the team (probably because he+Toriyama have plans for another title), which is why sometime ago, you would see Kitase comment on Versus XIII and he once said that the story will be so tragic that it leaves the player crying for weeks (an exaggeration of course, but the point is, he at the very least supervised the story department).

The stage director (one who determines the pacing and progress of the story) for XV is Takeshi Endou, who also worked on FFVII (as well as VIII and IX).

From a recent article, it was said that Type-0 team has been assimilated into XV team, which means that Hiroki Chiba (scenario writer for Type-0, event planner for Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, FFVII, FFVIII) is currently helping the development of this game, fleshing out the plot and some.

Essentially, you have:

Tetsuya Nomura
Kazushige Nojima
Jun Akiyama
Hiroki Chiba
Takeshi Endou
Yoshinori Kitase (to a lesser extent)
#19mrklarrydPosted 10/4/2013 11:03:15 AM
TehAssasin posted...
mrklarryd posted...

That isn't entirely true. As I posted earlier, although Nomura is mainly credited for his character design role, he IS involved in the storyboard FMV production, providing ideas for the base story of FFVII (he was also the one who suggested the death of Aerith.

That's still concept and artistic design territory, more than actual writing. An example I could use is an old Johnny Depp movie called Edward Scissorhands. Tim Burton came up with the idea of building a flick around a lonely steampunk, goth dude with blades on his hands, and did all the concept art and story boarding. But the end result--an inversion of Frankenstein set against a satire of 50s suburban homemaker culture--was mostly the work of somebody named Carol something (Thompson?).

Or even Prometheus could work as an example. Ridley Scott wanted to build an Alien prequel around the idea of an Origin of Species story, but he didn't flesh any of that out beyond some visual imagery; it was some guy I've never heard of in the Nojima role and Damon Lindelof in the Kato role.
#20CokaineCowboy77Posted 10/4/2013 11:39:50 AM
mrklarryd posted...

Nomura and Sakaguchi provided concept design

Sakaguchi and Nomura are credited as the two base story writers in VII's actual game credits, where are you getting your info from? Because I'd trust the actual game credits more than most things.

You have that mixed up. Kato only wrote three scenes for FFVII, as he said himself according to this article.

http://mitsuda.cocoebiz.com/friends/kato.html

Oh, and:

http://www.glitterberri.com/final-fantasy-vii/nojima-interview/

So yeah, All of XV's writers also wrote for VII.
---
"When it comes to sex don't test my skills, 'cause my head game got you head over heels" - Lil' Kim