That tears it, Toriyama is easily one of the worst people to enter the industry.

#1mtjormitchPosted 10/9/2013 5:10:13 PM
After today's news. That tears it. The reason Square Enix is now going full on mobile is all because of a single man. ONE GUY is the main reason why there is so many wrongs in the entire Japanese video game development community. He is the literal embodiment of what the Japanese video game crash will look like.

It all started with FF13. Not the worst FF game but one of the most hyped up and that was it's main downfall. Heck, there are even rumors where Toriyama terrorized the entire development process completely and utterly. I am sorry, but he basically went George Lucas on FF13 and because of that, he literally poisoned the entire brand name of Final Fantasy.

What came next? A MMO NO SINGLE HUMAN BEING ASKED FOR! Also one which was so incomplete and just a complete clustercrap that they literally redid it which costed all their money to do.

The next thing was they fired Wada, some may have thought he was bad, but that was NOTHING compared to the next guy currently running the company into the ground. He is an accountent that has never played a video game in his life... let that fact settle in, a guy who has never played a single video game is in charge of some of the most talented people in the industry. How COULDN'T this be a bad thing.

And now, with IOS being momentarily popular, they are going to literally add microtransactions to every game they release and even console games soon here. Lets be honest here, the new Deus Ex and Sleeping Dogs aren't going to be singleplayer, they are going to be multiplayer social games with insane microtransactions. There is no hope of anything otherwise.

This is a diseased company that honestly started falling apart because of a single human being sucking to horribly. Toriyama was the one to push the boulder down the freaking hill. How this man has a job astounds me to my very soul.

Honestly, the only way to change this is to somehow get a insanely rich investor to invest in them and DEMAND changes otherwise he will hostile takeover their asses. I wonder... could we theoritically do this with crowdfunding? Or better yet, show them the hatred of fans the world over, basically, crowdfund a final fantasy celebration somewhere on earth, tell fans that it is actually a protest to show how angry the fans are and that if you are displeased with them you can bring your FF games to a basic pyre and show your distaste with a very simple game burning with as many people as humanly possible. At this point, those are our two only options to deal with their literal insanity.
---
Story in video games have gotten more important than gameplay nowadays. I recommend dealing with this fact and learning that this is now a storytelling medium.
#2OpheliaAdenadePosted 10/9/2013 5:14:00 PM
First world problems.
---
They say she's low down, but it's just a rumor I don't believe 'em.
#3ValorZraykPosted 10/9/2013 5:22:59 PM
1) FFXIII was as much Kitase's doing as it was Toriyama's. Kitase was the one who made the game linear and cinematic.
2) Toriyama wasn't even involved in most (if not all of) the rest of the stuff that you mentioned.
3) I don't even see how today's announcement was a bad thing. If you don't like it, don't buy. Are Atlus, Namco, and Nintendo also extremely evil, because they've all done exactly what SE is doing?
---
www.kickstarter.com/projects/13002 98569/project-phoenix-japans-indie-rpg-feat-aaa-talent
Remove the 'space' in the above link.
#4mtjormitch(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2013 5:23:46 PM
OpheliaAdenade posted...
First world problems.

So, people riot over sports all the damn time! The fact is if we want any change in the franchises we love. We need to publicly shame the crap out of them. Basically, the very best way to do that would be to literally become Harry S Plinkett and destroy each and every game they make and every decision as well. The fact of the matter is that we literally need to hit them below the belt as much as possible now.
---
Story in video games have gotten more important than gameplay nowadays. I recommend dealing with this fact and learning that this is now a storytelling medium.
#5mtjormitch(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2013 5:36:17 PM
ValorZrayk posted...
1) FFXIII was as much Kitase's doing as it was Toriyama's. Kitase was the one who made the game linear and cinematic.
2) Toriyama wasn't even involved in most (if not all of) the rest of the stuff that you mentioned.
3) I don't even see how today's announcement was a bad thing. If you don't like it, don't buy. Are Atlus, Namco, and Nintendo also extremely evil, because they've all done exactly what SE is doing?

1. He is at fault. But Toriyama got the ball rolling far more than Kitase. Toriyama as a writer makes George Lucas look smart.

2. He pretty much made the company a laughing stock to the entire world. Heck, the main reason JRPG's are doing bad right now is because of him. The fact is that Final Fantasy is a series that is the face of JRPG's everywhere and since FF13 is when they as a genre have basically fallen off the face of the earth.

3. Namco does some free to play stuff. But it is way better than what SE does. Nintendo does none of that stuff and Atlus only makes phone games when they are forced to by others. The fact is that many of the developers still develop on handhelds and consoles and still sell incredibly well kinda shows us that Square Enix is pretty much in the toilet when it comes to money concerns.
---
#6laharl81Posted 10/9/2013 5:46:35 PM
How are you guys sure the new CEO doesn't play videogames and how do you know kitase does?
#7ValorZraykPosted 10/9/2013 5:50:56 PM
mtjormitch posted...
1. He is at fault. But Toriyama got the ball rolling far more than Kitase. Toriyama as a writer makes George Lucas look smart.

How? Kitase picked Toriyama to direct FF games, because Kitase knew Toriyama agreed with his "interactive movie" philosophy. If Toriyama wasn't willing to make games that were extremely linear and movie like, Kitase would have picked someone else to direct FFX and FFXIII.

mtjormitch posted...
2. He pretty much made the company a laughing stock to the entire world. Heck, the main reason JRPG's are doing bad right now is because of him. The fact is that Final Fantasy is a series that is the face of JRPG's everywhere and since FF13 is when they as a genre have basically fallen off the face of the earth.

Toriyama doesn't have as much power as you think he does. The fact that you blamed FFXIV on Toriyama proves that. Why do you think Toriyama has any control at all over what any other company is doing? I doubt Namco consults Toriyama before they do anything. Toriyama had infulence over FFX/FFX-2, FFXIII/-2/-3, and two or three other games. That's it.

mtjormitch posted...
3. Namco does some free to play stuff. But it is way better than what SE does. Nintendo does none of that stuff and Atlus only makes phone games when they are forced to by others. The fact is that many of the developers still develop on handhelds and consoles and still sell incredibly well kinda shows us that Square Enix is pretty much in the toilet when it comes to money concerns.

I thought you were talking about Bravely Seconds here. Opps. On topic, if you don't like it don't buy. iOS/Phone games give SE the money to make Console/Handheld games. Without iOS/Phone games, SE would not be able to make Console games. If iOS/Phone games did not generate huge amounts of profit, SE would not make them.
---
www.kickstarter.com/projects/13002 98569/project-phoenix-japans-indie-rpg-feat-aaa-talent
Remove the 'space' in the above link.
#8DanahellPosted 10/9/2013 6:14:50 PM
http://www.synergy-botanicals.com/wp-content/gallery/the-original-chill-pill/chill-pill_cover-alt.jpg
---
American beer is like making love in a canoe. It's ****ing close to water
#9Lelouch71Posted 10/9/2013 6:29:13 PM
I'm no huge Toriyama fan but you are being ridiculous with your rabid hate and that's saying something considering how ignorant people are on this site. What next it's Toriyama fault for global warming. It's Toriyama fault you broke a nail. Maybe we should blame Toriyama for the economic crisis and US government shutdown too.
---
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"
#10KOTRsssPosted 10/9/2013 6:32:51 PM
What exactly is "today's news"?
---
Gamefaqs has taught us that academic fields like literature don't exist because of teenagers that say "well that's just your opinion and I disagree."