I think Square needs to reevaluate their target audience

#1mistermikeymikePosted 12/5/2013 5:12:37 PM(edited)
Right now JRPG's are considered lame and uncool because of the Japanophiles (aka weeaboos) that play the game. Right now, anime/manga is considered quite lame and that negatively affects JRPG image in the west. I mean when you have people saying Serah is my waifu, you are seriously turning off people from wanting to associate with your product.

I mean, think about McDonalds. McDonalds is associated with fat people just like JRPGs and FF13 is associated with weeaboos. This negative stigma has allowed a restaurant like Subway to gain a lot of marketshare for being healthy.

The same thing applies to JRPGs. JRPGs are associated with weeaboos, and "my waifu" types. And I have a lot of friends who would never watch anime or playing FF13 because of the negative stigma towards them.

As a result Square has been failing hard in the west despite being more popular in the east. Square needs to realize that anime haircuts are not cool in the west. Being a weeaboo is not cool in the west. If you assume that males between 10 and 30 are your primary audience, then you would assume looking like a girl (or being a girl) is less than desirable.

They need to make their character/story be able to appeal to westerners. And they need to steer away from the weeaboos that are ruining their public image in North America. I know a lot of people who saw the FFX commercial and thought Tidus looked exactly like a girl. To this day they haven't touched FFX even though it's an amazing game.

Contrast that to FF7 which was extremely popular in the west and became one of the best games of all time

tl;dr
-Disassociate from weeaboos
-Make characters appeal more to a western audience
-Get rid of anime/manga haircuts
-Get rid of anime/manga adaptions
-Acquire more western influences

If Square doesn't appeal to the west, then Final Fantasy will effectively continue their downward spiral towards irrelevance.
---
You do not have a waifu.
#2ChipNoirPosted 12/5/2013 5:12:38 PM
mistermikeymike posted...
Right now JRPG's are considered lame and uncool because of the Japanophiles (aka weeaboos) that play the game. Right now, anime/manga is considered quite lame and that negatively affects JRPG image in the west. I mean when you have people saying Serah is my waifu, you are seriously turning off people from wanting to associate with your product.

I mean, think about McDonalds. McDonalds is associated with fat people just like JRPGs and FF13 is associated with weeaboos. This negative stigma has allowed a restaurant like Subway to gain a lot of marketshare for being healthy.

The same thing applies to JRPGs. JRPGs are associated with weeaboos, and "my waifu" types. And I have a lot of friends who would never watch anime or playing FF13 because of the negative stigma towards them.

As a result Square has been failing hard in the west despite being more popular in the east. Square needs to realize that anime haircuts are not cool in the west. Being a weeaboo is not cool in the west. If you assume that males between 10 and 30 are your primary audience, then you would assume looking like a girl (or being a girl) is less than desirable.

They need to make their character/story be able to appeal to westerners. And they need to steer away from the weeaboos that are ruining their public image in North America. I know a lot of people who saw the FFX commercial and thought Tidus looked exactly like a girl. To this day they haven't touched FFX even though it's an amazing game.

tl;dr
-Disassociate from weeaboos
-Make characters appeal more to a western audience
-Get rid of anime/manga haircuts
-Get rid of anime/manga adaptions
-Acquire more western influences

If Square doesn't appeal to the west, then Final Fantasy will effectively continue their downward spiral towards irrelevance.

Yeah, you're dismissed now. Thank you for sharing. Bye-bye.
---
The official Kefka. I hate you all.
#3ExtremeLightPosted 12/5/2013 5:13:51 PM
You act like weeaboo is a bad thing. Tell people that Pokemon and DBZ are japanese and they will really reconsider these things.
---
"And onto the list goes another troll. I appreciate your very valuable contribution to the topic." ~Sticky_Derp
#4kaylan411Posted 12/5/2013 5:14:34 PM
Wut? The last thing I am is a weeaboo, and im skinny and love Mc.donalds. According to your logic I am a weeaboo and im fat because I like Mc.donalds and FF.

Reevaluate yourself
---
A Warmonger Like You Would Never Understand The Power Flowing Through My Body ~ Kamille Bidan
Love Gundam/Gunpla? Join the Gundam Eclipse community
#5kaylan411Posted 12/5/2013 5:15:14 PM
ExtremeLight posted...
You act like weeaboo is a bad thing. Tell people that Pokemon and DBZ are japanese and they will really reconsider these things.

This too
---
A Warmonger Like You Would Never Understand The Power Flowing Through My Body ~ Kamille Bidan
Love Gundam/Gunpla? Join the Gundam Eclipse community
#6DrakoVongola1Posted 12/5/2013 5:15:18 PM
Begone, troll!
---
Official leader of the Illuminati.
#7ChipNoirPosted 12/5/2013 5:16:48 PM
ExtremeLight posted...

There's this notion that because hardcore COD are the dominating genre, thats all anyone wants.

The reality is thats just what sells 'easiest' to the lowest common denominator. Just like platformers were the dominant genre before FPS. Should FF have just taken to having Terra bouncing on the Empire and chasing mushrooms?

Square makes its money by securing a niche audience that others aren't willing to cater to. Or they used to till they started getting over-ambitious. But that has far more to do with having an inept director try to 'action' his way through a story.

FInal Fantasy has had anime tropes since IV. It took on an anime style since VII. It has been doing just fine with its CORE auience.
---
The official Kefka. I hate you all.
#8DragoonGriffithPosted 12/5/2013 5:17:30 PM
FF, or any long lasting JRPG series for that matter, catering to western standards is exactly the last thing they should be doing.

I love WRPGs, but JRPGs are best at what they've always been: Simply being JRPGs.

It's when you try too hard to appeal to a broader audience that you lose focus, and in the end the fans.
---
DQ: VII > V > VI > VIII > IX = IV > III > I > II
FF: FFVI > the rest I can't rank without going into tiers
#9mistermikeymike(Topic Creator)Posted 12/5/2013 5:25:47 PM
ChipNoir posted...
ExtremeLight posted...

There's this notion that because hardcore COD are the dominating genre, thats all anyone wants.

The reality is thats just what sells 'easiest' to the lowest common denominator. Just like platformers were the dominant genre before FPS. Should FF have just taken to having Terra bouncing on the Empire and chasing mushrooms?

Square makes its money by securing a niche audience that others aren't willing to cater to. Or they used to till they started getting over-ambitious. But that has far more to do with having an inept director try to 'action' his way through a story.

FInal Fantasy has had anime tropes since IV. It took on an anime style since VII. It has been doing just fine with its CORE auience.

They didn't really take on the anime style until FFX. No one looked like a girl unnecessarily until FFX
---
You do not have a waifu.
#10ExtremeLightPosted 12/5/2013 5:27:56 PM(edited)
DragoonGriffith posted...

It's when you try too hard to appeal to a broader audience that you lose focus, and in the end the fans.

Seem like such the case with FFXII and FFXIII

But what does that say about FFXV. They are in essence attempting to appeal to a broader audience. I believe that SE must do this in order to make sales. The "core" audience is shifting. SE must do just so. FFXI-FFXIV was the negative result of this shift. FFXV might be the final solution.
---
"And onto the list goes another troll. I appreciate your very valuable contribution to the topic." ~Sticky_Derp