Who'd rather be the director of Final Fantasy XVI?

#1jjuniorzdPosted 12/9/2013 6:08:23 AM
I know XV isn't even near being released, but I ended up being curious who'll be left in charge of the next main installment of the series. Toriyama? Ito? Nomura/Tabata again? Someone else?

I know Ito said something about now being able to do what he wants with the batle system with the next gen consoles and it is known that he is working on a project, I strongly believe it is FFXVI.
#2rapius002Posted 12/9/2013 6:20:43 AM
Personally, I would love a collaboration of Ito and Tabata as a co-director situation, with Kitase producing. Ito tends to have great gameplay mechanics and his ideas are very well implemented, but they tend to end up lacking the "fun" factor for many people and come across slightly stale (even if they are great and fresh to the industry), at least from the criticisms I've heard regarding his games. Tabata is a fresh director, so I wouldn't trust him 100% on a mainline title all to himself, but he tends to make the games he's involved with extremely fun and is pretty good with storyline. That's why I think the two would benefit from working together. And as long as Kitase let them direct the way they wanted to instead of pulling executive decisions like he did with the XIII trilogy, I think Kitase would be a fine producer. I mean, he did provide good work years ago with VI through X. That would be my idea of a good set of whose "in.charge".
#3SteelCurtain17Posted 12/9/2013 7:38:15 AM
1Truth is that you?
---
Born a Steelers, Reds, and Hoosiers Fan!PSN- Cotner84
"The Xbone. It's like cable, except it watches you." -SwimmingToaster
#4ChipNoirPosted 12/9/2013 8:17:51 AM
rapius002 posted...
Personally, I would love a collaboration of Ito and Tabata as a co-director situation, with Kitase producing. Ito tends to have great gameplay mechanics and his ideas are very well implemented, but they tend to end up lacking the "fun" factor for many people and come across slightly stale (even if they are great and fresh to the industry), at least from the criticisms I've heard regarding his games. Tabata is a fresh director, so I wouldn't trust him 100% on a mainline title all to himself, but he tends to make the games he's involved with extremely fun and is pretty good with storyline. That's why I think the two would benefit from working together. And as long as Kitase let them direct the way they wanted to instead of pulling executive decisions like he did with the XIII trilogy, I think Kitase would be a fine producer. I mean, he did provide good work years ago with VI through X. That would be my idea of a good set of whose "in.charge".

Understatement of the year. Ito wouldn't know 'fun' if it hit him in the face.
---
The official Kefka. I hate you all.
#5ExtremeLightPosted 12/9/2013 8:40:26 AM
Ito or this Tabata seem like the next logical choice. Anything to keep Toriyama away for a while.
---
Next Villain after Xehanort? I suspect it will be a Light-based villain. Someone we haven't even seen yet. Just watch.
#6DanahellPosted 12/9/2013 8:45:42 AM
although it would be annoying to have Galv spamming "I toldya so" all the time, I'd rather have Ito...

I haven't experienced much of Tabat'a swork as a director, but at this rate maybe anyone would be better than Toriyama...rite?
---
American beer is like making love in a canoe. It's ****ing close to water
#7yosimba2000Posted 12/9/2013 10:27:25 AM
jjuniorzd posted...
I know XV isn't even near being released, but I ended up being curious who'll be left in charge of the next main installment of the series. Toriyama? Ito? Nomura/Tabata again? Someone else?

I know Ito said something about now being able to do what he wants with the batle system with the next gen consoles and it is known that he is working on a project, I strongly believe it is FFXVI.

Me
#8SoVEoCLoCKPosted 12/9/2013 10:33:24 AM
Ideally, I'd like it to be Ito or Kitase. But I'll take anyone at this point as long as they meet the criteria of not being Toriyama.
#9SteelCurtain17Posted 12/9/2013 12:59:13 PM
SoVEoCLoCK posted...
Ideally, I'd like it to be Ito or Kitase. But I'll take anyone at this point as long as they meet the criteria of not being Toriyama.

Seems to be a common held belief among the fanbase lol
---
Born a Steelers, Reds, and Hoosiers Fan!PSN- Cotner84
"The Xbone. It's like cable, except it watches you." -SwimmingToaster
#10rapius002Posted 12/9/2013 1:17:08 PM
SteelCurtain17 posted...
SoVEoCLoCK posted...

Seems to be a common held belief among the fanbase lol

Agreed.

I think Toriyama gets a lot more flack than he deserves, but it does seem to be a common FF fanbase mentality to keep it away from him.

However, I think all of the mainline series should have co-directors in a checks-and-balance style way. This way, one guy isn't overloaded, crazy ideas are kept to a minimum, and certain directors can focus on certain items.