hopefully FFXV will bring back real spells to the battle system

#11DrakoVongola1Posted 12/10/2013 7:38:00 PM(edited)
marko7 posted...
I thought XIII had its fair share of strategic spells. And it made magic pretty much just as important as physical attacks, which I've notice has been hard to balance in previous entries.

Most of those spells you mentioned I barely used either. Reverse, Decoy, Shield, Double/Triple (Magic in FFVIII is a rare occurrence for me in general) Even Auto-life is far from essential.

XIII did make spells more useful, but it didn't have any fun spells like Ultima (Well, not for the party anyway) or Meteor. The flashiest spell that isn't an Eidolon's special move is Hope's Last Resort, which isn't very much.
---
Official leader of the Illuminati.
#12Leventhan26Posted 12/10/2013 7:45:26 PM
DrakoVongola1 posted...
marko7 posted...
I thought XIII had its fair share of strategic spells. And it made magic pretty much just as important as physical attacks, which I've notice has been hard to balance in previous entries.

Most of those spells you mentioned I barely used either. Reverse, Decoy, Shield, Double/Triple (Magic in FFVIII is a rare occurrence for me in general) Even Auto-life is far from essential.

XIII did make spells more useful, but it didn't have any fun spells like Ultima (Well, not for the party anyway) or Meteor. The flashiest spell that isn't an Eidolon's special move is Hope's Last Resort, which isn't very much.

They are useful but boring. Spells in XIII lost all their charm and became physical attacks that built stagger. Spells have been useful in FF forever, just not in post game or the last stretch depending on the amount of work you put into your characters.
#13hyro56Posted 12/10/2013 7:49:16 PM
Yeah, because the spell animation is a real dealbreaker.

Stay classy, GameFAQs.
---
Atlus > Square-Enix
#14Leventhan26Posted 12/10/2013 7:52:09 PM
hyro56 posted...

Stay classy, GameFAQs.

Its not a dealbreaker. But many people do prefer the old system of spells >.>

I personally hope they make summons good again. I would prefer the OP as s*** X summons then the crap we have gotten since then.
#15DrakoVongola1Posted 12/10/2013 7:57:06 PM
hyro56 posted...

Stay classy, GameFAQs.

I never said it was. I loved how XIII actually made magic useful, I just wish the game had a few more flashy/fun spells.
---
Official leader of the Illuminati.
#16SBK91Posted 12/10/2013 7:59:48 PM
I personally hope they make summons good again. I would prefer the OP as s*** X summons then the crap we have gotten since then.

If KH is any indication, you're going to be very, very happy.

FFXII has Reverse, Decoy, Bubble, ADT time stopping spells (scathe, flare), unique status effects like Oil, X-zone, ja-elemental spells, real time status effects, float/invisible, etc etc

Problem with XII was if you don't count statuses (which Action isn't too hot on) and -ra/-ga varients (we never get access to -ja's), it has 17 spells, and 15 of those only differ mechanically by element, power modifier and cost (barring Scourge's and Bio's statuses IIRC). It had great concepts for spells, but bad execution. Should have ripped off WoW (procs, channeling, DoTs, etc).
#17Leventhan26Posted 12/10/2013 7:59:55 PM
DrakoVongola1 posted...
hyro56 posted...

Stay classy, GameFAQs.

I never said it was. I loved how XIII actually made magic useful, I just wish the game had a few more flashy/fun spells.

I am curious but exactly what FF are you talking about where spells were useless? I can only think of VIII where the only spell that was useful is the one that made you perma limit break.
#18SBK91Posted 12/10/2013 8:01:46 PM
I loved how XIII actually made magic useful,

Do explain how Quick wasn't useful.
#19ChipNoirPosted 12/10/2013 11:01:21 PM
hyro56 posted...

Stay classy, GameFAQs.

As a visual medium, its sort of important to be visually impressive. Magic is supposed be impressive, otherwise there'd be no point.

XII spells were just...dull. And its maddening because the Quickenings are so spectacular in comparison. Its a major waste of the graphics engine.
---
The official Kefka. I hate you all.
#20marko7Posted 12/11/2013 5:19:44 AM
DrakoVongola1 posted...

Personally I thought the -ga spells were pretty flashy in XIII, especially Thundaga and Firaga. I always loved spamming 2 Thundagas in a row late game against mobs on Pulse, it looked so devastating.

Out of curiosity, why do you consider Ultima a 'fun' spell? Honestly I've never thought it looked impressive, just a big boring explosion of some sort. I will agree that Meteor was a pretty fun spell.

On that note, I still think that FFIX has the most awesome looking magic spell animations. All of the end game spells look spectacular, even to this day. Personally, I wouldn't mind if this level of detail came back to Final Fantasy.
---
Ruler of the FF Agito XIII Boards 2011-2013
The Official Creator of the Noctis Orgy on the FF Versus XIII Boards