Is there a tier list for all the main characters and villains in the series?

#1Sparta19Posted 12/10/2013 2:38:56 PM
If not, we should attempt to make one.
---
And on the 8th day God said "Let there be fivehead!" and it was good. - wonderbreadman
#2ExtremeLightPosted 12/10/2013 2:41:42 PM
Tier list for? Who's the strongest?
---
Next Villain after Xehanort? I suspect it will be a Light-based villain. Someone we haven't even seen yet. Just watch.
#3Sparta19(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2013 2:45:18 PM
Yeah pretty much.
---
And on the 8th day God said "Let there be fivehead!" and it was good. - wonderbreadman
#4ExtremeLightPosted 12/10/2013 2:51:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhckuhUxcgA

I love the idea but there are way too many factors to consider over the course of 15 mainline Final Fantasy. We have different gameplay, experience, knowledge. Hell Lightning who really is one of the strongest protagonist probably won't even make the top 20 because people simply don't like her. More popular characters dominate the list at first. Of course there are the villains. Also do we count ALL FFs? All versions of the character? Neutral universe (which would be completely unfair to some of the characters). Do we make two separate list? How would we know who is stronger if they only had one fight?

Unless you want us all to come up which our own ideas on the matter based only on the games we played?
---
Next Villain after Xehanort? I suspect it will be a Light-based villain. Someone we haven't even seen yet. Just watch.
#5ShihaliPosted 12/10/2013 3:07:36 PM
Pretty much this. You won't find people arguing that Vaan is stronger, plot-power-wise, than Terra...at least I hope not...but anything more specific is not going to end well.
#6Sparta19(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2013 3:19:27 PM
*spoilers below*

Creating a tier list (or a fan tier list therefore) is usually made on the basis that we only determine their ranking from what we see and know about them. Normally, theories and guesses about one's power isn't to be included unless it was hinted to by in-games sources (like an NPC's dialogue or a cutscene, not battle mechanics) or a valid source from the company/dev team.

e.g. Aerith from FF7, we know she's a high powered character from what we've seen about her (most notably Holy from 7 and the purifying rain from AC). She can be considered much stronger due to the hype of her ancient bloodline and certain characters (I can't remember who exactly, maybe Hojo) saying she can be a destructive force, but we don't factor in this power because we don't see it, it's only hype.

Typically the list would go like this:
S - Planet Busters and/or characters with super destructive techs, insane power/abilties, etc.
A - Incredibly powerful but not a planet buster.
B - Very skilled characters with impressive feats, can possibly compete with S+A ranks under certain circumstances.
etc., you get the drift.

-Ideally the list would be realistic and not judged on "popularity contests". I personally don't like Sephiroth as a character too much but I know for a fact he is definitely S/A rank material.

-We list all active main titles and their direct sequels/prequels. We don't know anything about the cast of 15 so we don't include them. You can include spin-offs if you want, like Tactics for instance, it would be pretty pointless as they would all fall into the lower tiers but go ahead.

-We count a character that we've seen at their absolute prime. For Cloud, we most likely assume his AC variant, for Rydia it's her adult variant, etc.

-We assume they are all in the same universe with their power remained intact, no nerfs or buffs.

-Ideally we keep them in one list, but if doing a list for heroes and one for villains is easier for now, I have no problem with that.
---
#7ExtremeLightPosted 12/10/2013 3:23:41 PM(edited)
I think a separated list for Heroes and villains would be ideal since some heroes are not what you describe as S/A yet they can beat a villain who's S/A. Hence, would make them stronger than the villains so we would need another factor for a combined list.

---
#8kaylan411Posted 12/10/2013 3:26:29 PM
But powerlevels can't really be compared for different worlds/series, unless we only take into consideration their most destructive attacks, and even then it not accurate because some characters are better at those types of attack. That doesn't mean their stronger.

I mean one character can have this huge destructive attack, another a special sword technique but that doesn't mean the destructive attack is stronger than the Sword tech. Their two different attack types
---
Oops, couldn't wait for the PS4 anymore so bought the less desired XBONE
Love Gundam/Gunpla? Join the Gundam Eclipse community
#9Sparta19(Topic Creator)Posted 12/10/2013 3:37:36 PM
ExtremeLight posted...
I think a separated list for Heroes and villains would be ideal since some heroes are not what you describe as S/A yet they can beat a villain who's S/A. Hence, would make them stronger than the villains so we would need another factor for a combined list.

I'm personally not too sure about that. I can't think of a single entry where the lead protagonist can possibly beat the main antagonist 1v1 without interference, PIS, story-infused-buffs for heroes, story-infused-nerfs for villains, etc.

I want to use the Cloud/Sephiroth AC fight as an example, but i'm going to be honest, i'm not 100% sure on what exactly happened in that fight for Cloud to emerge victorious.
a) Some people say Sephiroth's body wasn't at full capacity since he was using an inferior being as a vessel. Some people say that Sephiroth had his own body and was at full capacity.
b) Despite subject a, even if his body was his, it's arguable that Sephiroth could have easily killed Cloud, but was inflicted with PIS and did not just simply end him.
c) A common theory in direct relation to subject a, and one I personally believe, Cloud did not kill Sephiroth in their battle. Hell, it didn't look like Seph was even in pain, his departure was more of a mutual leave than a forced, probably due to Kadaj's body not being able to handle that Omnislash (as evidenced from him collapsing and dying immediately after Seph's departure).

None the less, like I said, the list would be a group effort. By the way, how would Lightning be top tier material? I've only played the first 13 and from what i've seen she's quite "human" compared to most other protagonists. I heard she was some sort of goddess now in the sequels that's why i'm asking.
---
#10kaylan411Posted 12/10/2013 3:46:50 PM
Even in LR she's not as powerful as her following thinks or wanted her to be, but she is moderately high on the list
---
Oops, couldn't wait for the PS4 anymore so bought the less desired XBONE
Love Gundam/Gunpla? Join the Gundam Eclipse community