What do you think the biggest thing is preventing new players from the series?

#1Sega9599Posted 2/4/2014 5:31:35 PM
Title.

The whole Final Fantasy universe can seem daunting. Where do you start? Which games are good and bad? The whole community seems split on which games are actually great fun to play, at least for the 1st time perhaps. Perhaps it is the feeling of wanting to play them all in chronological order but being put off by the older games graphics?

Or maybe it is the community itself?

Perhaps it's the controls of the games? A lot of RPGs have segued into real time action battles, whereas apart from maybe FFXII, the rest are all fully turn-based, and despite what people say, you will not beat every monster in XIII by just spamming auto-battle. Maybe something like Crisis Core, or Valkyrie Profile, or even the Tales series might entreat newcomers?

Perhaps it is the huge scale of the games? You are unlikely to discover everything about the game through the game itself. Realistically, some form of guide is needed to uncover every secret, compared to other games.

Could it be the soundtrack? Instead of always classical/J-pop/Jazz, perhaps embracing modern music and having recent artists hits play on the American version of the game at least might help with making newcomers feel at ease?

Could it even be the whole numbering system? How about ditching the number style and simply giving each new game a unique title of it's own? Or perhaps even ditching the 'Final Fantasy' brand altogether and making each title under the 'Square-Enix' banner instead? SE-X: Zanakard's Last Days, for example?

What do you think?
---
Oh, for a new 'proper' Shining Force..and a new Panel de Pon game and a new english release of Puyo Puyo....
#2Lelouch71Posted 2/4/2014 5:59:55 PM
Nothing besides taste and interest.
---
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"
#3TehAssasinPosted 2/4/2014 6:04:50 PM
I've seen many who said they were interested in trying out a FF title, but turned off by its turn-based combat system.
#4Sega9599(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2014 6:06:39 PM
Lelouch71 posted...

So you think people that don't like FF should just not like the game? IU'm not saying EVERYONE has to like the series, but Square Enix realise things and changes have to be made in order to keep enticing new players, and even playes who would not normally consider getting an RPG ever, to at least take some interest in the Final Fantasy series.

But it's ok, just post your one post of disinterest and move on.
---
Oh, for a new 'proper' Shining Force..and a new Panel de Pon game and a new english release of Puyo Puyo....
#5Sega9599(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2014 6:08:37 PM
TehAssasin posted...
I've seen many who said they were interested in trying out a FF title, but turned off by its turn-based combat system.

That's very interesting. Hmm....but what alternative action based RPG battle system would you suggest as an alternative? Not including Zelda, before anyone says anything, something along the lines of the Tales games, or maybe even Secret of Mana?
---
#6AdalwulfyPosted 2/4/2014 6:14:06 PM
TehAssasin posted...

Those people should've stayed away, and SE should've catered to the oldschool FF crowd instead of the ones with a short attention span.

I'm saying this without a hint of sarcasm.

And if the only answer to that is: "but bzns and monay hurr!", then yeah...SE just became everyone's *****.
No wonder they can't get their heads out of their asses, with the huge amount of bollocks they try to produce, while completely forgetting what once made them good.

And it's very simple to explain what it was. It was heart and soul being put into those games.
They had charm.

Whatever it was they once had, it kinda got lost in the HD gen, of not before already.
---
http://i2.minus.com/idViX6TYCFObG.png
#7ajmrowland1Posted 2/4/2014 8:47:02 PM
Adalwulfy posted...
TehAssasin posted...

Those people should've stayed away, and SE should've catered to the oldschool FF crowd instead of the ones with a short attention span.

I'm saying this without a hint of sarcasm.

And if the only answer to that is: "but bzns and monay hurr!", then yeah...SE just became everyone's *****.
No wonder they can't get their heads out of their asses, with the huge amount of bollocks they try to produce, while completely forgetting what once made them good.

And it's very simple to explain what it was. It was heart and soul being put into those games.
They had charm.

Whatever it was they once had, it kinda got lost in the HD gen, of not before already.

This is kind of a bigoted POV. You're saying that only existing fans should be catered to, but that only makes sense where legit sequels are concerned.

Now I'll be the first to say Final Fantasy as a title at least has overstayed its welcome, but every long lasting franchise has its lulls and its peaks, the latter of which are still possible while catering to "short attention spans" which is still nothing remotely new and ill bet it wasn't 30 years ago either.

Heart and soul are definitely good things to have, but the talent is a bigger loss. Toriyama seems to have put his heart and soul into XIII trilogy and look at the writing there.
#8RustyPSONEPosted 2/4/2014 9:35:44 PM
I think its because gamers have moved on from the graphic novel style of JRPGs with their overly linear plot structure and lack of freedom in terms of plot development and character customization.

After playing games like Mass Effect 3, SKyrim, Dragon Age:Origins, Witcher 2 its hard to go back to the style of JRPGs.
#9ExtremeLightPosted 2/4/2014 9:47:58 PM
Lelouch71 posted...

This is the most basic and simple answer. Nothing is really preventing new players from the series except interest. Hearing bad things about say FF13 will sort of kill your interest. Hearing that FFXV is an Action-based combat with shooter elements and have usable tanks and guns and Noctis being a teleporter would just capture the attention of many who like those type of games.

I would also like to say:
-Lack of major mainline entry.
-People thinking they would need to play the first 14 FFs.
---
Fools set the rules in this world. Just take a look around. It's undeniable.~Noctis (FFXV)
When Sephiroth plays FF7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGqe-XSADU8
#10GoombacrusherPosted 2/4/2014 10:14:41 PM
Adalwulfy posted...

They had charm.

If that's what made the games great you shouldn't care about whether the game is turn-based or not
---
kawaii!