OMG! Kitase looks major insulted by the "JRPG" term in this video! DAYUM!!

#11TruthPosted 2/28/2014 8:29:41 PM
Wow! For the first time ever, I've seen how the "JRPG" term can come off as racist to a Japanese RPG developer. The following interview just killed it for me. It's the reaction from Kitase. Wow! Just... Wow! You can see the offence written all over his face. Kitase literally looks insulted. Before the term was mentioned, he was smiling and cheerful and answering questions, but after it got dropped, he literally looked offended and even stopped answering questions for almost 10 minutes! God DAYUM!

Here's the video interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-VT5wE-iNo

I recommend watching entire thing, even though it's 20 minutes long, as it will allow you to see the sheer degree in which Kitase's mood changes from cheerful and active, to offended and reserved. If you want the specific time the JRPG question is asked, skip to the 6:44 mark. Basically, what happens is that the interviewer clearly says "JRPG" in his question, yet the translator doesn't mention the term in his translation to Kitase and Abe. After that moment, Kitase just looks down right offended.

I've always believed the term came off as a racist definition to segregate Japanese RPGs from those made in the West. Think about it, y'all. Back in the PS1 and PS2 era, did any of us call FF games "JRPGs"? No. The term only appeared as of last-gen (PS3/360) when WRPGs became more popular than JRPGs in North America and Europe. Times have certainly changed. I honestly think the West needs to abolish the "JRPG" term. It comes off as if the West is applying segregation laws to RPGs made in Japan.
---
The Zodiac Brave Theory
A groundbreaking new discovery about the story of Final Fantasy XII. Release: TBA
#2zombie_basher13Posted 2/28/2014 9:05:34 PM
What's your point? Why are you so excited about this?
---
Can't wait for The Great METAL GEAR SOLID V - now in two flavors.
#3westontickleePosted 2/28/2014 9:08:36 PM
I've always called them RPGs. Even after I learned the term JRPG.
---
Queen Jiggs, Princess Flabebe and Lord Nyaoni and Lady Meowstic are gonna destroy!
JiggsNation Territories: Pokemon X, FFXV, LR: FFXIII, P4G and P5 Boards
#4zombie_basher13Posted 2/28/2014 9:28:34 PM(edited)
But you know, I don't see why he (or you, or anyone) should be offended by the term JRPG. Japan and America ARE segregated by distance and big cultural differences. We do things differently. It's not like the guy was saying anything actually racist or offensive like, "Oh WRPGs are better than your lame JRPGs" or "American/Europeans are better than the Japanese" or something.

You do have to admit, for the most, RPGs made by the two are completely different. There are exceptions like Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma being western-like, but do you ever really see Americans make "JRPGs?" I think the issue here might be insecurity; Japanese trying to appeal to westerners which I think we are seeing a lot more of lately.

I say, don't be ashamed of your culture and who you are and where you're from; don't try to chase the crowd and please everybody. Embrace it.

EDIT: On a humorous note, lol; aren't these interviews always so awkward? I mean look at Yuji Abe; he looks so nervous.
---
Sig gone. wut
#5Some_StaticPosted 2/28/2014 9:23:19 PM
Since you felt the need to post this on the LR and XV boards, I'll post my same response here:

Having watched the video now, I don't see what you see. Kitase is in the interview as the producer, Abe is there as the Game Design Director. Around the 7 minute mark when the question is asked about how they went about designing a 'new' style of JRPG, Kitase does go quiet, but I don't see insult there. I see Abe take over the conversation because they start asking game design questions, and Abe is the game design director.
---
It's not a JRPG until you kill a god. http://ghost-or-mute.tumblr.com
3DS Friend Code: 1075-1893-8704
#6TehAssasinPosted 2/28/2014 10:08:06 PM
I think you are grasping at straws.
#7ExtremeLightPosted 2/28/2014 10:40:36 PM
TehAssasin posted...
I think you are grasping at straws.

---
The people set themselves up for disappointment. Why? Why do people harbor such high expectations? Why clings on to that last bit of hope? What is the purpose?
#8Holy_Chicken_99Posted 2/28/2014 10:55:24 PM
Another pointless thread.

How come this trolling isn't as well disguised as your Ito ones though?
#9donkeyjackPosted 2/28/2014 11:04:03 PM(edited)
I always called FF an JRPG's.

Truth, that's not racist.

Why does everyone use that word so much?
---
http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8iln96Inq1rcx17bo1_250.gif
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lob0ptt27X1qd7kg2o1_500.gif
#10ExtremeLightPosted 2/28/2014 11:06:56 PM
donkeyjack posted...
I always called FF an JRPG's.

Truth, that's not racist.

Why does everyone use that word so much?

Because people are sensitive.
---
The people set themselves up for disappointment. Why? Why do people harbor such high expectations? Why clings on to that last bit of hope? What is the purpose?