OMG! Kitase looks major insulted by the "JRPG" term in this video! DAYUM!!

#31Epic-GamerPosted 3/1/2014 7:33:06 AM
You care about this why..?
---
I don't play Kingdom Hearts for story, i play Kingdom Hearts to beat people with an enlarged key.
#32hyjinx17Posted 3/1/2014 7:38:39 AM
omg we're referencing the region the game is developed in and the games original language. We're all literally Hitler. Just thousands of Hitlers roaming around calling RPG's from Japan JRPGs.
---
3DS friend code:3883-5502-4640 IGN:Zero
#33DarkFistsPosted 3/1/2014 7:42:05 AM
-Says to stop calling them JRPGs
-Uses the term WRPG

Anyways, there's nothing offensive about using WRPG or JRPG...since it just helps one tell what type of game it will be, sure, there's exceptions, but very few.
#34CranberryTacoPosted 3/1/2014 7:47:59 AM
Elice_Carol posted...
I've had enough of Galv's tabloid journalism.

But he's the best E! Entertainment gaming staff.

Seriously he brings up a few decent points from time to time but overthinking it is another story.
---
I'm Chuck Bass. 88' / Musician / Mobile /
#35XenilPosted 3/1/2014 8:00:40 AM
SoulMikeY posted...
Xenil posted...
I don't see why the term JRPG would be insulting, it just shows that Japan is producing RPGs that are distinct from the crowd, better that than be referred to the catch all term WRPG. WRPGs are so indistinct that they are devoid of any identity from the country they were developed in, it'd be sad if Japan followed suit.

You're pre-disposed to thinking that's unique because you're bias. The truth is Japanese styled RPGs are the majority, localized or not. Probably like 3 to 1. And how is it "catch all"? As far back as I can think of, Bethesda RPGs (skyrim, fallout, and their predecessors) are quite different from Bioware RPGs (Mass Effect, Dragon Age).

Japanese developers typically make the exact same "teenage protagonist, bubbly side character, manly/ tough girl, and helpless love interest". When I was 13 this may have been a cool formula. Not to say that Skyrims "no character" or Mass Effects lame "femshep" are good in anyway, cause they are both lame to me.

But I sometimes forget the type of people on here. Forever 13 in their minds. Most of you aren't gamers and I quickly forget that. Gamers play all types of games and are hopeful about new ones, they don't complain about what they wanted before they play it. And they damn sure don't only play Japanese games.

Top 5: FF (7-8-9), KH2, MGS, Halo, Infamous series. With Diablo, Mario, Gears of War, and Zelda close behind.

Both JRPG and WRPG fall into the same tropes but my point was I can usually tell when an RPG comes from Japan.

I can't tell what country a WRPG comes from; the clue is in the title "western", but what's that supposed to mean? US, Canada, France, UK, Spain, Germany, Sweden? Where are the French, German etc. influenced RPGs? I'd seriously like to know because I'm just as bored of playing Tolkien, middle-aged fantasy as I am anime teenage protagonists. Variety is good.
#36Gandalf the IstariPosted 3/1/2014 8:56:25 AM
People have said JRPG for far longer than last gen. It's a term that's at least 20ish years old.
---
PSN: ck_22_c GT: ckc22
NA 3DS: 0533 - 4509 - 1310
#37ThatPersonGuyPosted 3/1/2014 9:29:36 AM
The thing is that JRPGs aren't WRPGs and they probably never will be. Is the term Anime racist? Should we just lump it in with things like Adventure Time and The Last Airbender? No, because Anime isn't Western Animation and it probably never will be. Even things like TLA that have obvious eastern influences are clearly western.

tl;dr: Go back to Tumblr, SJW.
---
"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it"
- Arthur Dent, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
#38SandOnMyBootPosted 3/1/2014 10:22:14 AM
If the Japanese considered the term JRPG to be offensive they wouldn't use it or use it to name their company/domain name. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtgwxLJMS8c
---
Glad Superman 64 was the third best-selling Nintendo 64 title upon release and was a success. Supporting risk-takers and change is how the industry grows.
#39Heero-XPosted 3/1/2014 11:01:43 AM
JRPGs cause some of those good ones never get released to the rest of the world. WRPG since some of them get released to the rest of the world.

I just call RPGs either RPG or moving books.
#40zonobiaPosted 3/1/2014 11:03:06 AM
Gandalf the Istari posted...
People have said JRPG for far longer than last gen. It's a term that's at least 20ish years old.

If I remember correctly, it didn't seem until FF7 came out that people really started using the term, and it didn't really seem to become really widely used until maybe even the PS2.

Pretty much all games seemed like they were made in Japan when we were in the NES/SNES era, so there was no need to use the "J". Games like FF2(4) and FF3(6) weren't JRPGs....they were just RPGs.